1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

You can opt out, but you can never leave...

Discussion in 'Bits & Bytes' started by ethics, May 6, 2018.

1. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Arc likes this.
  2. Arc

Arc Full Member

I hope this particular criminal case will wake people up about the potentially extremely downside and danger of giving up your DNA.

3. MemphisMark

MemphisMark Old School Conservative

I'm glad I was in and out of the military before they started keeping DNA panels on everybody.

4. ethics

It's not just DNA -- and you are correct.

I am a data factory (and so are you)

5. MemphisMark

MemphisMark Old School Conservative

Most of the data collected about us comes back at us in the form of "targeted advertising."

Of course, advertising is nothing more than the science used to interrupt the human thought process long enough to sell it something.

I've been shadow banned. I can't respond to posts other than to edit them, I can't create new posts and cannot do PMs. I guess I did something to piss the admins off?

Last edited: May 21, 2018 at 7:33 AM
  6. ethics

It's not though. Take the latest FB brouhaha.

People would use their FB login to login to other sites. Collected
    People would put in all types of personal details, current job, at least state of the country, cell #, email, etc...
    People would also create circles, name them coworkers, friends, family, alumni, etc...
    People would converse with others, apply any type of algorithmic research here.

Now the above AND MORE is available to FB.
    Cambridge Analytica didn't just start pulling this data with Trump, it started back with Obama. FB KNEW they were siphoning data out of FB, but didn't care (Obama!!!). It only became a big deal with Trump. But the big deal is actually bigger if you understand exactly how easily CA was able to pull that data, how non-caring FB was with your personal information.

SO it's NOT just targeted ads.

7. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

I've been howling about Internet privacy for years. And it's not just the data that you provide, either. There are many public records that are accessible, and companies will cheerfully pay to scrape that data for their records.