1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

You are all on notice...

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by ethics, Oct 13, 2009.

1. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

:)

Kidding but there's a serious side to all of this.

I've hired a professional team of evaluators. A team of almost 20 people from all walks of life and political spectrum.

Why?

To evaluate what's right and what's wrong with the forum and what to do to make it better for us to attract more people.

Be on your best behaviour for about 2 months. :)

2. BigDeputyDog

BigDeputyDog Straight Shootin Admin Staff Member

If I have to... *sigh* :tape:

BDD... :{)

3. Swamp Fox

Swamp Fox Veteran Member

If I may ask, why do you care so much about attracting traffic? We've known each other for a decade, and I'm quite happy with things as they are.

4. joseftu

joseftu ORIGINAL Pomp-Dumpster

He wants to get more liberals here. Then the rest of you can come out of the closet and say what you really think. :)

Seriously, isn't this kind of request like waving a red flag in front of a bull? Best behavior? At GA? How would we recognize the place? :)

5. Arc

Arc Full Member

Let me be the first to say it was great having you on the forum all these years. After the evaluations are in and implemented I hope you will enjoy life without GA! :lol:

6. ethics

I know, crazy me. But I also know that people will be people and that's what I want anyway. Will get more accurate assessment.

Short answer (because the long answer will be War and Peace size) is that I want more members from other places of the world, more diverse opinions, etc... It's been a goal since day one. We've covered US ok, although as Joe stated jokingly, I DO want more diverse opinions.

7. ethics

ROFLMAO!!! And I literally laughed my ass off on that! Brilliant!!!

8. Swamp Fox

Swamp Fox Veteran Member

Well, if we behave ourselves until they come over, and then we go back to our old ways, then they could leave.

Tell them to take us as we are, warts and all.

9. tke711

tke711 Oink Oink Staff Member

Bite me! I'll behave any damn way I chose!!! ;)

10. Greg

Greg Full Member

Traffic is power. Without traffic you have a blog with one person writing the material and 3-4 people reading it. Perhaps since you haven't been bitten by the bug you see the site as a typical visitor. Turn your head around and see if you can imagine why anybody would want to run a website. It's the thrill of having your own medium and enjoying that your work attracts an audience who appreciates your material, even if they don't know why you do it. That's why I run a cooking and recipe website and blog. I'd be just typing off into the oh-zone without an audience. With an audience I feel that my work is appreciated and validated.

I'll be happy to offer my services as a professional poster and I can guarantee to deliver 4-5 recipes per week, in order to attract your food and cooking audience. I'll be happy to work for 1/20 of whatever you're paying them. Heck, I'll be happy work if you'll fund a Netflix subscription for me!!! ;) ;) ;)

11. Swamp Fox

Swamp Fox Veteran Member

I've been wondering about you posting those recipes. I'll manage your culinary empire and take half your revenues. :)

12. tke711

tke711 Oink Oink Staff Member

I found ethics consultants:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/GOJzpeCMJzs&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/GOJzpeCMJzs&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

13. Greg

Greg Full Member

If you can turn a profit on it then I'm interested in discussing. I'm doing it just because I'm a cooking fool and because I want a rep like Yan Can Cook. :)

14. Copzilla

Copzilla dangerous animal Staff Member

On my best behavior? LOL! You assume it gets any better than it has been.

15. Swamp Fox

Swamp Fox Veteran Member

Leon,

I think the consensus here is that we act as we always have been, and the visitors can love us or leave us. IOW, let things develop naturally.

16. Greg

Greg Full Member

Stanley is right. Nobody is going to act any differently just because there's a focus group. We act the way we do because that's who we are. It doesn't mean that we can't change but we will only change for our own reasons, not because somebody is watching us. If the site changes then we can love it or leave it. However, changes can be for the good. You never know until you see what the changes are.

I understand why Leon wants the site to reach ever greater accomplishments. He's put a lot of energy into the site and gets his satisfaction when the site does good, or more if it does better. I'm exactly the same with my cooking/recipe website. I've been spending several hours a day for the last month rewriting my code into an entirely more advanced site, a better site, and that doesn't even include the 3-4 hours a day I spend sleuthing out hard to find ingredients and cooking experimental recipes. I'm not getting paid anything for that. I'm doing it because it's my hobby--both writing code and cooking good things--but a website does not exist in a vacuum. There is no point in the exercise if nobody visits the site, no validation. The satisfaction comes when you've accomplished something good, and for websites that means traffic. The only way to get more traffic is to make the site better, and Leon and I are doing exactly the same thing on our respective websites, making them better. Traffic is the metric that measures our success.

17. Frodo Lives

Frodo Lives Luke, I am NOT your father!

The best thing we can do is continue giving warm welcomes to any new member who wished to be a part of our GA family. They can sit on the sidelines and observer or jump in feet first, which ever suits them best. As long as they have a desire to learn and discuss, teach and simply express their views, all are welcome. Always have and always will.

If they come to spew an agenda, troll, or spam? Well, Biker always keeps his chainsaw fully fueled and ready.

Sigh, I completely forgot what it was I wanted to say. :doh1:

18. mikeky

mikeky Member

LOL, yes it was.