1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Yippeee March is Coming

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by Coot, Jan 8, 2003.

1. Coot

Coot Passed Away January 7, 2010

This last year has been so busy, that I really didn't get my usual vacation or even my mini vacations that I thrive on. That trip to Europe was okay, but it was still work dammit.

I was out in the garage earlier this evening going through some of my gear and seeing what needed replacing and thinking about anything I might want to add.

I'll be off to my favorite place on earth and doing my favorite thing while I'm there. Namely, getting completely away from humanity for a few days, where you have to shake out your boots in the morning before you put 'em on, where campfire coffee is the first rule of the day, where the best maps are the game trails and where 2 good horses are all the company you need.

A few years ago, I came across some Anasazi (or maybe Membrino) ruins that I didn't have time to take a closer look at. This year, I want to see if I can find them again and photograph the hell out of it. It's not exactly legal to go in there, but then again, it's not exactly on any maps and there's not likely to be anyone within 50 or 60 miles ;)

I'm talking about New Mexico. I'll fly into El Paso and then drive on in to Silver City, spend the night with some friends and then head out at first light, pick up the horses and supplies and then just disappear for a while.

2. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Have fun, man. :)

3. Allene

Allene Registered User

Coot,

Sounds like a great vacation. When we lived in Utah, we went to New Mexico five or six times. It's a fascinating place.

Allene

4. Coot

Coot Passed Away January 7, 2010

Well, I'm working through Thursday, and I'm leaving Friday morning early. I've opted not to fly, but take the Expedition instead. Guns are cleaned, tack is mended horses are arranged for (saddle horse and pack horses)...at least out of Shiprock. I'll spend 4-5 days out in the desert southeast of shiprock. I know there's a back entrance to Chaco canyon and those pesky ruins that aren't mapped yet ;) If I find them again, I'll report them to UNM.

From there, I'll drive down to Silver City and go through Wilderness Canyon and up the mountain on the otherside...some nice trout fishing up there. Getting horses lined up there has proved to be a bit of an issue unless you accept the guide option...not happy about that, but they do have a business to run.

I'm still in pretty damned good shape for 53, but the realization that this may be the last ride like this I take is not lost on me. I'm going to savor every minute of this and take tons of pics and annotate them with GPS coordiantes to the extent possible. I also intend to savor every last bean I cook, the hardtack and pinon bread I eat and each sip of tequila and each sip of campfire coffee I drink ;)

On the off chance that there's a connection at one of the hotels I'll stay at for a day here or there, I'll check in and let you all know what you're missing ;) Other than that, expect pictures of some of the most beautiful scenery on this earth when I get back.

5. Allene

Allene Registered User

Coot,

Have a great trip to Hillerman country!

Allene