1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Yes, most computer users are not savy

Discussion in 'Bits & Bytes' started by Biker, Dec 7, 2016.

1. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

And now there are facts to back up the claim!

http://lifehacker.com/this-chart-shows-how-computer-literate-most-people-are-1789761598

What's sad is the number of companies that hire from the Level 1 and 2 ranks.

ethics likes this.
  2. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

When you wonder why Nigerian Prince and other scams exist, it's because people are idiots.

3. Allene

Allene Registered User

I started out on DOS, floppy disks, and "fatal error" messages. Wonder why they used age 65 as a cut-off point?

4. Biker

It really skewed the results. :lolaway-5:

5. ShinyTop

ShinyTop I know what is right or wrong!

As a 68 year old I resemble that. Actually I ran networks for a while, implemented a Novelle network before I went to the school and built hundreds of computers. Yet I have been out of networking for 14 years now and know I am completely out of my element now when talking networks and security.

Hell, Biker convinced me to try a Linus partition many years ago. It lasted about a week before I realized Windows had all the elements I was working so hard to implement in Linux. I also no longer jail break my phones or install other Android builds.

6. Biker

Networking really hasn't changed all that much over the years. Hubs have pretty much gone the way of the dinosaur with switches taking over the duties that simple hubs accomplished.

Security, on the other hand, has become a bloody nightmare. Not so much the physical security of a network (although that remains a huge issue with some companies), but just about everything else security related has evolved into an administrative nightmare that keep the makers of Tums, Maalox, and Pepcid in the black.

And while Windows does have all the elements that most are looking for in an OS, Microsoft's push towards the OS being a service rather than a purchased product should have everyone looking at Linux as a viable replacement. The only reason I keep Windows is for gaming. If I had a machine that had a lot more horsepower, I'd probably use Linux 100% of the time and just use Wine for the gaming aspect.

7. Allene

Allene Registered User

:banghead-72: