1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Yankee, Go Home! Redux

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by Sierra Mike, Jan 20, 2003.

1. Sierra Mike

Sierra Mike The Dude Abides Staff Member

Read all about it at Is Uncle Sam Still Welcome in the ROK?

I'm a touch pissed off that ROK hooligans would attempt to stab an 0-5...but am also cognizant of the fact that while they outnumbered the lieutenant colonel by three-to-one, they were incapable of doing so. ;)

It's not lost on me that President Roh is essentially grovelling before the Eighth Army; while it wouldn't be positioned as such in the press, it's clearly what he's doing, since he was elected almost solely on the Let's Boot Out The US platform. I guess an honest politician is tough to find anywhere in the world.

I'm actually against withdrawing from the peninsula, because it would leave a huge power vacuum which I fear the Chinese would try to fill. At the same time, I'd love to teach the ROK a lesson by turning over the expense and dire potential of defusing a building conflict all by themselves. It's unfortunate, but someone has to provide adult supervision, and it appears the US is the designated adult of the relationship.

SM