1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

[XP][Networking]Any suggestions?

Discussion in 'Bits & Bytes' started by Steve, Mar 21, 2005.

1. Steve

Steve Is that it, then?

Setting up a peer-to-peer network. Using my laptop, at XP Pro sp2 and updates/patches, I have no problem accessing the Internet. I'm doing it now as I type. Standard private IP/NAT setup with router gateway. Details:

Network: 192.168.1.0/24
    Gateway: 192.168.1.60
    Static IP assignment (very small network with legacy issues)

On a network PC that's about six years old (!) running Win XP Pro without any service packs or updates, I can't get out to the internet. Ping doesn't even seem to work, for cryin' out loud.

I d/l sp2 and am installing it now, but I'm at wit's end trying to figure out why this machine won't connect. Local loopback is fine. I connects fine to an AS400 using TCP/IP. It can print to an existing printer.

I checked, there are no static routes foobaring anything up. Nothing in the HOSTS file. No other devices on the network with the same addy as the gateway.........HELP!

2. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

Workgroup???

3. Steve

Steve Is that it, then?

Would that affect Internet connectivity, though?

4. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

I've seen stranger things....

I'd also double check the settings for your network mask and IP settings. If the NIC is good, then it's a protocol issue someplace.

5. Andy

Andy ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Being you are going the static route... does the problem PC have the correct DNS info, gateway, subnet, etc?

Everything should match exactly in network settings comparing between the laptop and problem PC except for the individual machine's IP addresses.

On the "gateway", do you have enough IP addresses alloted, or are there any MAC filters applied?

6. Andy

Andy ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Another think that jumps out at me....

You say you are doing a "peer to peer" network, but you need to get to the Internet. (I always thought "peer to peer" was only PC to PC and that's it)

How is the problem PC hooked up directly to? To a router/gateway, or to the laptop itself?

Can you re-run the network wizard and set it up all over again?

7. Steve

Steve Is that it, then?

Individual PC's are connected to a Netgear FS516 ethernet switch. It seems to work fine, since that's what my laptop is connected to as I type this. I'll check MAC settings on the router.

8. Andy

Andy ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Couldn't hurt then to re-run the network wizard on the problem PC and select "connect to the Internet through a router gateway" then.

9. Andy

Andy ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Last thing I can think of since it's hooked to a switch.

Peek and see if the problem PC is hooked into a port labeled "uplink/upload".

That one should be going to the router, not a PC.

I've come across this with a Linksys switch now and then.

(I would assume you are not using a crossover cable to hook up the PC though, rofl )

10. Piobaireachd

Piobaireachd Full Member

Is the internet gateway the switch or one of the other computers on the network?

Also, I've had the built-in firewall in SP2 cause some problems from time to time. I would disable it to see if the problem goes away.

11. Kangaroo

Kangaroo Passed Away June 15th, 2009

Try manually sticking in the DNS addresses into the TCP/IP settings tab. Does the PC operate correctly over the LAN?

12. Fiona

Fiona Veteran Member

One thing completely overlooked...

foobaring, if it were a word should be foobarring. But since it is an acronym I believe it should be FUBAR-ing. Again if it were a word, fubarring. ;)

wish I could help hon. I have techies around who do this if you get really stuck. :love:

13. Steve

Steve Is that it, then?

DNS is manually entered, just as I'm using it on my laptop, now.

PC is not connected to the uplink port, nor am I using any crossover cables. No offense taken, I know as well as anyone that it's often the dumb questions that answer the problem!

Internet firewall is disabled.

The gateway is another device connected to the switch. It goes like this, and keep in mind that this works perfectly with my laptop:

Cable modem -->Wireless Router-->Wireless Bridge-->Wired switch-->PC (or laptop)

I'll run the setup wizard on the PC, again.

14. amjezioro

amjezioro Abstract is good

have you tried running a tracert from the problem pc to find where it is getting stuck on the way out?

15. Steve

Steve Is that it, then?

Trace route's dead on arrival. It doesn't even make it past local host.

I think I've kinda sorta narrowed it down to something wrong with the arp table, my laptop has no problem creating a dynamic entry for the gateway but while the problem PC has an entry for the gateway's IP addy, it has no mac address and "unknown" for the entry type.

I've dug around clearing arp tables, building manual routes, creating manual arp entries, nothing seems to be working. I'm so frustrated I could scream. The wireless networking component was up and running before 10:00 AM and performs beautifully but why only with one machine, I don't know.

16. Andy

Andy ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

MAC of problem PC wasn't by chance cloned to another (router/cable modem) in the past, was it?

Can you get another NIC to pop in the problem PC and see if it is the NIC that is the source of trouble?

17. Steve

Steve Is that it, then?

I thought of the cloning issue, but the mac doesn't appear anywhere else in the network, far as I can tell. But here's what went down:

I had the laptop directly connected to the cable modem to test the connection upon installation. All was good, no cloning involved. Then I powered off the cable modem, connected the wireless fw/router, and powered up the router, then the modem. The modem detected the new mac address on the router and promptly forgot all about my laptop's mac address. That was two weeks ago.

Since then, my laptop has been used on three other networks and two different domains. I briefly had a different laptop working on the wireless network last work, as well as a different PC (than the one I'm trying now), but after I made some changes to strengthen encryption, they lost it.

I dunno what's going on, I'm stymied.

18. Steve

Steve Is that it, then?

OK, my wife, who doesn't know much about networking, has been fiddling a bit this morning and she's discovered that disabling the "QoS Packet Scheduler" seems to fix the problem.

Gonna have to dig into that to find out what's up.....