1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Xmas games for the kids

Discussion in 'PC/Console Gaming' started by mrRT, Nov 22, 2002.

1. mrRT

mrRT Tech Mod

Well the kids have started on the Xmas list already..and since mine are 2000 miles away this year we kinda wanted to really rock them.

My 17yr old son has put in the request for

Grand Theft Auto Vice City
    Street Hoops
    EverQuest Planes of Power.

and my 13yr old daughter just wants something cool to play on PS2.

Since I don't claim to know anything about these I could use some help here. Are these good choices???
    Whats really hot for this Xmas that they would really like. It'll be a tough Xmas for all so I'm hoping to make it really good for them.

any help here is much appreciated.
  2. btdude

btdude Veteran Member

Click Here.

This is where I go when I get questions, requests etc., about new games.

As you know, Best Buy and Circuit City have good web sites to check out, as well. Good luck.
  3. btdude

btdude Veteran Member

BTW ANY of the EverQuest games are at the www.sony.com site, and can be purchased at brick and mortar places, or downloaded BUT BEWARE. You buy the software for that game WITH an ANNUAL membership fee. and the player must have an active internet connection to play.
  4. mrRT

mrRT Tech Mod

Thanks for the link and the info btdude..

much appreciated
  5. btdude

btdude Veteran Member

You are quite welcome. I hope the kids have fun.
  6. mrRT

mrRT Tech Mod

and so the saga continues.....Told my fiancee it was ok to get the GTA game..and that's where the questions started. She says that a friend told her this game is really graphic..maybe too graphic for a 17yr old...especially if the game contains anything to do with the rape of street ho's..

Can any of you folks either verify this or tell me its BS so I can settle with the GF.

and whether you think it might just be too graphic. I just don't know which way to go on this one..

thanks again

I tried the link BT, but didn't see anything in there. I know the thing carries an M rating, but still not sure.
  7. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

GTA 3? I have the PC version and while it does have "ho's" and pimps I didn't see anything graphic. There's no nudity, but you CAN get out of the car and start pummeling people with a bat.

For a 17 year old, it's actually a very mild game.
  8. mrRT

mrRT Tech Mod

Thats what I thought. I mean he is 17 and i didn't think the violence is the issue Ethics....I think the rape thing bothered her...

If in fact it really does exist in the game.

9. ethics

If it does, I've never seen rape or any sexual acts. I haven't heard anyone even say that word in the game.
  10. Misu

Misu Hey, I saw that.

Ethics, obviously you've never tried regenerating health by picking up a prostitute. You get extra points if after you're done doing her, and she walks out of the car, you kill her and take all her money....

Listen, I'm a gamer, and I absolutely love violent games - anything that gibs players up, I'm all over it. But, for me, GTA3 and Vice City are a little too 'real' for me. Vice City is supposedly an imaginary city - but it looks just like Miami, even the layout of the streets are almost identical to the streets in many parts of Miami. And the whole point to it is to act as a hitman, then take over as druglord by killing the previous druglord... I mean, that's not cool.

If you want to really blow away your kids, get them XBOX with a 1 year subscription to XBOX live (if they have broadband), and get them games like MechAssault and Whacked (I actually like Whacked - it's a crazy cartoony gameshow, it's actually funny) and Unreal Championship. They'll love you forever.
  11. Misu

Misu Hey, I saw that.

BTW - I have no idea what's out for PS2. We own an xbox, so that's what I know. I have heard that Resident Evil 0 is AWESOME - a little scary (might be too much for your 13 year old), but I've heard it's awesome.
  12. ethics

No, never done that. Didn't think I COULD do that. But still, that's not rape. She is a prostitute. :)
  13. Techie2000

Techie2000 The crowd would sing:

I think GTA appeals to the people we call n00bs and TKers in BF1942 and other games. These people are the ones who like to blow up anything and everything, mostly on their own team. GTA appeals to that desire (Prostitute is a good example) and that's why it is successful. Games such as BF1942 require teamwork and stuff that those people don't seem to understand...:(

Anyways for PS2 what kind of interests does she have? There are many types of games ranging from game show, puzzles, to action, adventure, FPS, strategy, and RPG.
  14. Pyrion

Pyrion Liquid Metal Nanomorph

Taking Techie2000's rant one step further, GTA appeals to the same people that "Bumfights" and "Jackass" appeal to.
  15. ethics

I must disagree with you as well as Techie.

I love CS for the teamwork aspect, I love MMORPG's because it's almost a requirement for helping others as much as being helped by others.

GTA3 to me is a free card to play the OTHER guy. With all this talk, I feel like firing it up once again! ;)
  16. Misu

Misu Hey, I saw that.

Living out our 'bad boy' fantasies, aren't we ;)
  17. ethics

In a way, Misu.

Don't get me wrong, I was never in to prostitutes or bashing people for no reason. I never had a pull to go to the other side.

Heck, I even hate mobster movies. I hated Goodfellas with such passion that I didn't know what the hell the hoopla is all about.

And don't get me started with Sopranos.

SO perhaps when I whack a mobster in GTA3, perhaps THAT's my fantasy. ;)
  18. mrRT

mrRT Tech Mod

Well I did go out and buy it for him. I think he'll be really happy, but I think I'll be happier after we have "a little talk" about this game.
  19. Copzilla

Copzilla dangerous animal Staff Member

I'm probably the furthest thing from a mobster that anyone would meet... But I love games like that, because they just let you be as violent and mean as you would never be. They're hilarious.

As for the 13 year old daughter, my 14 year old has a PS2 and we bought her SSX Tricky (snowboarding game) and she loves it. Beautiful scenery, good gameplay and some characters to pick from that any young teen would relate to.

For my XBox, I bought Conflict: Desert Storm and I like it quite a bit. Special Forces tactics type stuff, great gameplay. My only beef with it is that it's not long enough, ie, the scenarios only provide about 15 hours of gameplay and then you beat it.
  20. ethics

You and I think alike on this one. And mrRT, Copzilla is a police officer, I think that says something. ;)