1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XBox Questions

Discussion in 'PC/Console Gaming' started by SixofNine, Dec 17, 2010.

1. SixofNine

SixofNine Jedi Sage Staff Member

A couple of weeks ago my wife snagged an XBox 360 w/ Kinect at Costco as a Christmas present for all three kids.

I haven't checked the packaging myself to see what it comes with, but it looks like it has built-in wireless, so I don't have to worry about that. It also looks like they all come with one one-month Live Gold membership.

I'm going to assume that the kids will all want their own Live accounts, because they love to do things like download arcade games, customize their avatars, etc. And the Family Pack looks pretty good, with its group discount, Family Center, activity reports, and how only the primary account holder can make purchases.

Is Live Gold a big deal? I wonder what percentage of owners are simply using Live Free and buying games from the store? I'm sure the gamers have Live Gold for multiplayer, but I'm just wondering what the typical XBox user is doing out there.

2. tke711

tke711 Oink Oink Staff Member

No idea on the XBox Live stuff, but I will tell you the Kinect is fun as hell!!! The kids will love it.

3. Sierra Mike

Sierra Mike The Dude Abides Staff Member

I'm still 100% n00b-like when it comes to gaming consoles, but if the XBox has wireless, does that mean I can watch Hulu and stuff on my TV? :D

SM

4. tke711

tke711 Oink Oink Staff Member

I'm not sure it's available on the XBox yet, but probably will be soon.

5. SixofNine

Netflix now, Hulu Plus on the way (with that Live Gold membership).

I've seen mention of an app called PlayOn that let's you watch basic Hulu, YouTube, and some other networks without Live Gold. You install this app on a PC on the same network as your 360. Maybe the XBox vets can comment on it.

6. SixofNine

Ooh, PlayOn also works with Wii, PS3, and other devices.

7. Brazbit

Brazbit Nah... It can't be.

Xbox Gold is their premium service. When the Kinect came out they introduced a Family Pack. Four accounts on a family pack are less expensive than two individual accounts. The flip side is they raised the price of individual accounts (first time since Live launched.)

The standard Free Live Account gets you access to Live micro-transaction services, Movies and Music through Zune, and MSN compatible chat.

The Xbox Live Gold account is required for online multi-player, NetFlix Last.fm and ESPN 360 (if your ISP allows ESPN3.COM content) Facebook, Twitter etc...

I Beta tested Xbox Live on the original Xbox and have had Gold since day one so I can't really tell you what it is like trying to operate on the free account, I have always had access to everything.... well except ESPN 360 due to my ISP/ESPN.

Every family member will probably want a minimum of a free account so that games save under their name and such. Most downloads apply across all accounts so no need to repurchase things for each family member. Since you could just log in as whomever has the live account to do NetFlix and such casual users wont need their own Gold account. However everyone that plays online multiplayer games will want a Gold account.

So if you need more than four accounts I would get a Family Pack and then see if anyone over the four that do Multiplayer most can/should go without Gold for the time being, You can always add more later.

Els has a free account so we can test anything you need to know about.

1 person likes this.
  8. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Good, informative post. Too bad (or hooray) I'm a ps3 boy. ;)

9. SixofNine

DOA. RROD.

More time to consider options. :whistle:

10. Brazbit

How the hell did you manage that? I haven't heard of anyone having one in a LONG time. Did you buy a used unit?

... Never mind I see you bought a Kinect bundle so it had to be a new unit. I have never heard of one of the new style going bad before. Kids shaking presents under the tree?

11. SixofNine

Are they that fragile? Actually, it was out of sight, not even under the tree.Fortunately, the Xbox website seems to have a very mature support structure for reporting problems, printing UPS label, etc.

12. Brazbit

No more so than say a laptop or desktop computer. Now that consoles have hard drives and such there is little difference between them and a normal computer.

My nephews had their 360 die recently but that was because a cousin tripped over a cord and it fell from the shelf onto the floor, an old Atari 2600 or N64 with no moving parts would have survived that, the 360 had the laser in the drive knocked out of alignment.

I was just joking.

Practice, Practice, Practice....