1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

[Xbox] Burnout Revenge

Discussion in 'PC/Console Gaming' started by MNeedham73, Sep 30, 2005.

1. MNeedham73

MNeedham73 Well-Known Member

Picked this up last week. I had a lot of fun playing the last one (Burnout 3), so I figured I'd give Revenge a shot.

Graphics have been tweaked a bit from the last game. Nothing mindblowing (as the graphics in the last game were oustanding already), but you can definitely tell the difference between the two. See attached screenshot for an example.

Gameplay is roughly the same, which is definitely a good thing. This game definitely qualifies as a 'frustration release' title, as least to me. Racing and actually getting credit for wrecking your AI competition. Can't get much better than that. :)

There is a new game mode, Traffic Attack. In B3, if you so much as touched any of the traffic you're forced to dodge in each race, you would crash. Very frustrating, especially if it happens just as you're about to win a race.

With Traffic Attack, it gives you a chance to get even. You basically go around wrecking all vehicles traveling in the same direction as you, receiving points for each one that goes towards receiving a medal (gold, silver, bronze) for the event.

Rest of the game modes (race, road rage, burning lap, crash) are pretty much the same.

Sound is good. Engine sounds could be better, but they're not bad. Other sound effects (tires screeching, crash sounds, etc) are very good.
    The soundtrack isn't my cup of tea. Wasn't in the last version either. Mostly indie rock titles. (whoever decided that a dance mix version of the Doors "Break On Through" should be in the game should be shot). However, you can record your own tunes onto the XBox and use those, so all is not lost.

None of the cars are "real world." So no Vettes, Ferraris, etc. Can't really blame manufacturers for not licensing their cars for this game. Seeing a Porsche crumpled up after a head-on is probably not something execs want to allow happen in a game heh.

Now for some bad stuff. Have run across few instances where I've hit a spot of road and 'fell' through it. Has only happened when I've wrecked, so it hasn't been a big issue, but it does detract from the game. I'm guessing that the rather quick development cycle for this game (about a year since the last title) is to blame. EA publishes this title. Enough said, I think.

Game gets a little laggy at times, mostly in areas with a lot of traffic. Nothing too bad.

Single event mode was axed. You either play campaign, multiplayer, or via XBox live, or not at all.

The AI, like in B3, cheats like a :friggin:. This is my biggest gripe. As an example..you wreck an opponent, which should drop him back 10+ seconds behind you. Next thing you know, he's right back on your bumper. "Rubberband AI" overkill. EA and the game developer, Criterion, can kiss my :kissmy: on that one.

Even though this game has a few bugs, and the AI likes to cheat, it's still a lot fun to play. Graphics are extremely good, sound is good, other than the music tracks (and that is a personal preference more than anything).

It's a game that you can be saying "Woohoo!" at one minute and cursing like a sailor the next lol.

2. Frodo Lives

Frodo Lives Luke, I am NOT your father!

I played a lot of Burnout 3. Wasn't to bad of a game. May try this one sometime down the road.

Thanks for the review. :thumbsup:

3. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Wow, excellent write up, man.

Burnout 3 had X-Play and others drooling. They absolutely loved the dynamics, game play, graphics, and re-playability factor. It was the ONLY game I wanted to try this year, alas, no time. :(

Thanks for a great review though! :thumbsup: