1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

X-Box Live

Discussion in 'PC/Console Gaming' started by ethics, Nov 17, 2002.

1. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

<a href="http://www.internetnews.com/infra/article.php/1501211">IInternetnews is reporting</a> that Microsoft has launched Xbox Live broadband gaming service.

To access Microsoft's service, Xbox gamers have to buy a $49.99 starter kit, which includes 12 month's worth of access to the Xbox Live service and a headset kit for voice communications. Microsoft said that about 16 games with online play capabilities will be available by the end of the year. So has anyone already tried it? If so, what do you think about it?

2. Domh

Domh Full Member

I have to solve a few networking issues before I get my kit.

From what I hear so far, it is a vastly more satisfying, stable and FUN online console gaming experience than the one offered by Sony for the PS2.

I think that in 2 years the Xbox and its online service will have fully eclipsed the PS2. Sony seems to still be operating under the assumption that they are THE big gorilla. Microsoft is not a company to be trifled with. They can bleed money on this project and keep dumping cash in for another 50 years if they want and not even start to make a dent in their cash reserve.

Microsoft wants to own the console market, and I guarantee you they will, and soon. Xbox live is just the start of what looks like very good fun.

I cant wait to play HALO2 live over the net on my new 57" HDTV.

:happy:

3. Misu

Misu Hey, I saw that.

Hubby's been a beta tester for it for almost 2 months - he loved it.

I, on the other hand, am quite disappointed with the games that are currently out. The only 2 games I can see myself getting into are Mech Assault (which we have, it's cool, but hard to control for me) and Unreal Championship. I'm debating on whether to get it because there is STILL no Keyboard support, and I am a hardcore keyboard gamer. I needz muh keyboard and mouse to kick azz.

I think the best games for online play are ones where competition is highest - racing games are good. Unreal would be great also (if only they had a kb!!! - hell, I'll take the button control wrist thingie - anything but the yucky controller!!!!)

4. Pyrion

Pyrion Liquid Metal Nanomorph

I think the best games for online play are the ones where there is enough moderation of the gameplay that the community doesn't get overrun with Cheater-Strike rejects. :)

5. EMIG

EMIG Yup

Have you tried Halo? I liked it a lot (played at a friend's - don't own an Xbox, and will not buy one.)

It could be a great MP game.

6. Pyrion

Haven't tried it, but from what I've heard, Halo's got really bad netcode.

7. ethics

Excellent point. Want to ruin a game fast? Have an open code for it, or editor for it.

8. Pyrion

Well not only that, but if you're intent on ruining someone else's game, you just need to be an immature brat. Aside from cheaters, there's nothing more annoying in a game than some kid that plasters the server with vulgarity.

9. ethics

Another excellent point. Heck, I'd get you on my PR team any day if I were developing an OnLine game. You definitely point out THE major aspects as to what ruins fun for people of ALL ages.

Let's also not forget the fact that God forbid you state that you are a girl playing.

I did that once, just to see what happens. Oh my lordie...

10. Pyrion

Well, if you state you're a girl playing, aside from the endless hordes of hormone-loaded teens hitting on you, you'll end up with the less-than-endless hordes giving you free stuff thinking it'll get them a date. ;)

11. Misu

Misu Hey, I saw that.

Hey i've never gotten any free stuff for saying I'm a girl gamer. I just get asked what size my tits are :p

Boys... ;)

12. ethics

LOL!

True for games like Everquest (all of my characters were females by the way, and I roleplay VERY well :)) but for CS? What could they give me?

13. Pyrion

The benefit of the doubt?

Hmm, nah. Not with CSers. Even if you really ARE a girl, they'll just call you all sorts of names and accuse you of cheating.

14. ethics

LMAO!

Good one! :)