1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WTF is wrong with you?

Discussion in 'Society and Culture' started by Susan Addams, Dec 21, 2017.

1. Susan Addams

Susan Addams Amazonian woman in a petite package!

Somebody just bitched me out because I texted them at 2 a.m.

You leave your fucking phone on all night? Have you ever heard of "do not disturb?"

This just pisses me off because text is what we use to intro phone calls and ask if it's a right time, or leave a message to call me in the morning.

I'm just pissed. Venting. Why don't we have a venting or rant font?

2. MemphisMark

MemphisMark Old school Conservative

My primary phone is my work phone. When I'm on call (like I am this week) I CAN'T use my DND, because I might get a text or call at 2AM to go and repair a critical piece of equipment. I usually get home around Midnight because I work swing shift on-call. I have to text my co-workers what calls I didn't get to so they can grab them in the morning. I get up at 6 am and text them then, rather than at Midnight when I get home because it's called Common Courtesy.

The way I am, I can fall asleep on a moment's notice. If one of my devices makes an alarm I am up in 3 seconds or less. My morning wake up alarm is a ringtone from an authentic AN/SIA-113B US Navy General Quarters alarm, prefaced by a Bos'n's whistle. You don't roll over and go back to sleep after one of those go off. And because I use alarms like these (hard of hearing), my friends and co-workers know that if they call/text during sleeping hours and there isn't blood or fire involved, there will be blood AND fire involved when I get my hands on them.

3. Susan Addams

It seems you should be able to set your phone to receive phone calls but not wake you up with texts.

Me and my friends often text "you available for phone call?"

4. MemphisMark

I hate texting. If I have to text you twice, I'm calling you. It's more distracting and more time consuming than talking. I can get 4x the amount of information exchanged by talking in a given span of time than by texting.

5. Susan Addams

Just curious Mark, have you ever tried voice-to-text. I never punch those silly keys. My long fingernails get in the way.

My texts go along the lines of, "Tell Martha are you available on the phone." Martha replies yes or no or just phones me.

In driving I can do the same via my speakerphone. I can place an entire phone call, navigate, whatever, even send and receive texts all via speakerphone and voice recognition.

6. dsl987

dsl987 Member

I leave my cell on due to work, so I'd be pretty pissed off as well if you texted me at 2am.
    I remember the first time I got an Amber Alert in the middle of the night. Promptly disabled that shit.

Susan, we might not have a rant font, but we do have a mood button :)

7. Susan Addams

You can be sure you would find out my unlady-like vocabulary if you woke me in the middle of the night. Unless of course you started with me at the beginning of the night, and then you had better be able to deliver! :p

8. dsl987

dsl987 Member

LOL Susan

Susan Addams likes this.
  9. Susan Addams

I appreciate a good morning delight as much as the next girl! ;) :p'

Just mind your sandpaper cheeks if you didn't shave before our date! And no! I don't like a rash on my inner thighs! :(

10. MemphisMark

For an IT guy, I purposefully avoid such things. I don't use Cortana, Siri, Alexa, etc. (although I did get a kick out of Ms. Dewey).

I inherently do not trust technology. Because if I set Alexa to listen so I can say "Alexa, play music list one" how do I know it's not listening so if it thinks I said, "YOU STUPID SLUT! I'M GONNA PULL YOUR EYEBALLS OUT AND SKULLFUCK YOU!" (whether I did or not) it won't call the police?

Technology like Siri and Alexa do not analyze and interpret inside the unit near me, they are received, analyzed and stored in a company server at HQ. I'm already on enough watch lists, I don't need to be on more.

11. Susan Addams

Suzy never calls the police. They take 15 minutes. Suzy has a cute Colt Government Pocketlight 380 with nickel finish and pink grips! :) Anybody who messes with Suzy is likely to end up fashionably dead! ;)

You can wipe your Alexa dumps any time you want Mr. Paranoid.

Surely you realize that as a technology queen I know that Siri and Alexa live on their respective mother ships.

12. MemphisMark

Yes, they will tell you it's deleted, however there are backups and backups of backups. Besides, Like the Podcast Grumpy Old Geeks says, what does "deleted" really mean any more?

13. Susan Addams

Mark, I couldn't agree with you more! Remember, I spend half of each week in the IT department. (Well even when I work from home I'm in the IT department via remote.) They back up the servers on a plan. I think each day they make a new backup and each week they make a backup and at some point the backups go to off-site storage. I'm just like them, they're just like me. Sure THAT copy is deleted, but LOL what about their server backups? (Only diff with me is I have no offsite storage. My stuff isn't that important and the risk like fire is minimal. If I were concerned I'd take DVDs to Mom & Dad's house and put them in my old bedroom.)

Think more like "marked deleted" or deleted here but still saved there. You aren't even being paranoid. You are being realistic. And if we want to get down to the nitty gritty, go ahead and delete something off your PC and it is truly just marked deleted, eventually to be returned to slack space. Reused. But even then the apphabet agencies can recover data that has been overwritten at least to some extent. It all depends on how badly they want it.

Technical: Imagine you have a binary 1 and a binary 0. Overwrite those with zeroes and you have an analog 0.1 and 0. But with analog analysys it's still 1, 0 because they can see that previously 1 is still stronger than the 0. Well this isn't the best explanation I've seen but I've read papers on data destruction and data reconstruction. You can find those papers on the Internet.

It all comes down to what the meaning of "is" is. ;) And you know what they say about the Internet: once on the Internet it's on the Internet forever.

That reminds me, an acquaintance told me he was shopping for mini-PCs and stumbled upon my product review here at GA! Small world! :) Of course he didn't recognize my picture because that's an avatar but he realized it was me when he saw my name!

ETA:

Oh and to add, I had been playing with "Hey, Siri" and forgot. I noticed at certain times my iPad would go whacko. I finally realized I had caught its attention and it was taking down what I was saying, and that was going off to Siri-land. We all know that Siri's brains are mostly at the Apple mother ship. Go ahead and get out in the stix where there is poor cellular coverage and you discover that Siri gets really stupid. I've had times where Siri couldn't even navigate!

LOL, reminds me of ... yesterday? I was upset at Siri's intractability and had an outburst: "Oh Siri, go **** off!!!" Siri replied, "That is very inappropriate." Imagine, being lectured by a computer! LOLOL! :D :D :D

Last edited: Dec 26, 2017
  14. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

My phone never leaves the living/dining room unless I'm leaving the premises. Not only is DND active on it at night, I refuse to have to anywhere near the bedroom when I'm sleeping.

15. Susan Addams

I leave my phone downstairs or turn it off after I've chatted with sis. If it rings downstairs I'd never hear it.

16. Arc

Arc Full Member

A couple of months or so an LA Times journalist wrote an article about how he broke down and got Alexa. He wrote a follow-up article on how well it worked.

I contacted him and said words to the effect, "So Alexa is listening, constantly listing to hear its name so it can take action?" He responded back, "Yes, I essentially have an open microphone in my house now." Too bad he didn't address that with a third article.

17. Susan Addams

You mean... Alexa killed him?

I've been thinking of setting up a fight where Siri and Alexa kill each other.

18. MemphisMark

This is a pic of the oldest hard drive I still have. I had a Mac HD20 and a 20MB for my Apple ][e for my BBS that are long dead and gone. This is a 5MB Zenith removable hard drive I used while I was on Guam. I scratched my name out. This was back when hard drives had a MTBF of 10,000 hours. When you had to do an occasional "low-level" format because the heads weren't that accurate. Or, if you formatted the HD in one orientation (say a desktop laying flat) but then changed the orientation (stood the core on it's side) you had to do a LL format because the heads were off slightly due to the aspect change.

[​IMG]

19. Susan Addams

I have an 8" floppy, three 5-1/4" floppies, and a half dozen 3-1/2" floppies that aren't really floppy. My first computer was a hand-me-down that still had 3-1/4" drives but by then external HDDs and flash drives were the thing and I fially pulled the 3-1/2" floppy drive and tossed it.

I got the old floppies from my brother who was going to toss them out, and recognized that maybe in 50 years they might be worth quite a lot if everybody else tossed all the old stuff out. I recently junked that last computer (a 386) and came away with a memory stick reader and a CD-ROM as the only reusable parts. I don't even know what buses it used (didn't recognize them) and in the end even the chassis was cheap steel not aluminum. Imagine that: imitation aluminum! LOL! I had hoped I could take the case over to the metal recycler for some purse change. You know, so I can make it harder to find my lip gloss? ;)

It's funny to set that 5-1/4" floppy next to a 20GB flash drive the size of my thumb nail. Flash drives are so small these days I could carry 20GB dangling from each ear as earrings! That's a hoot considering the first IBM-XT came with a 10 MB HDD!

What if the sands on our beaches are actually the remains of a long ago civilization where each grain of sand has more computing power than all our present day computers on the planet, and our present day technology is too crude to recognize that sand grains are really advanced technology?

Who was that who said something like technology sufficiently advanced is indistinguishable from magic?

20. Susan Addams

I'm just curious what the difference where the phone is if DND is switched on. I leave mine downstairs on the kitchen counter (between kitchen and den) on charge, just because that's my sort of credenza for my den coffee table, couch and lazy chair office. (I keep a few office supplies there, stamps, envelopes, scissors, a jar of pens and pencils.)

I work from my den when I don't have to show at work, and lately I've wondered if they even care if I show up at work as long as my corporate apps show progression and eventual deployment. (I like to work in shorts and a T-shirt, bare feet.) Come to think of it, I'm pretty sure I haven't seen my office since before our company Christmas party in mid December.

As a consultant I don't get a corporate computer so when I'm not at work my office is just an empty cubicle with a few drawers and pencils/pens. If I left the company I wouldn't even have to appear in person! That might be a good thing. One of my mentors (also a consultant) told me a story where he was at work and got noticed by a VP who said, "You're still here?" Well he was gone in about 30 minutes after he was processed out. — At my last contract the word went out, "Kill all the consultants" and I was gone within the hour. I got the last laugh. I billed them for cleaning out my desk, and got paid for that hour! :D

I swear, if I ever get executed I'll tell them to go ahead without me. ;)