1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WTF forum AJAX not working?

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by Susan Addams, Dec 18, 2017.

1. Susan Addams

Susan Addams Left Coast Fiscal Conservative

I've got a whole topic starter (product review) that won't post, and a reply to a PM that won't post. I can see a progress indicator upper right that probably indicates an AJAX operation is in progress but it never completes. AJAX for those who don't know web design is where the browser and server work together to update your browser window in real time without using a new fetch.

I'm pretty sure this is a Biker question, but does this happen often? I'm using a recent version of Pale Moon as my browser (FF fork off). Hmm... there's a double entendre hiding in there, LOL! — A fork is IT-ese for diverging lines of code development, and PM is forked from FF if you get my drift. ;)

I've C&P my post into a local file in case I can't get it to post before I close my browser, but the smileys will be lost. The reply to the PM was short so I can re-type that in another session.

It's going to be annoying if the AJAX fail happens very often.
  2. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

Most likely something in the post that mod_security doesn't like. Lemme dig into the logs.
  3. Susan Addams

Thanks! I knew you would be concerned. I tried to reply to this very topic right after I posted... and nada.

Also good news, I did C&P my product review into a text file and the smileys were there too, so all I have to do is re-up my images and C&P the text file back into the post and we are good to go! Woo hoo! :)

I'll go post it now.
  4. Susan Addams

As I started to create my topic again all but the last 3 paragraphs were right there, saved by the forum's software, as were my uploaded images, so it was a simple C&P of the last 3 paragraphs plus I copy-edited my post and then the forum accepted it just fine. I hope y'all enjoy my review! :)

It seems to me that Internet lag likely mucks up AJAX so perhaps the explanation is as simple as net lag. I have a link for an Internet traffic overview map but didn't think to check it at the time. The forum software is currently clickin' like a chicken! ;)
  5. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

Make sure you're checking the "keep me logged in" box when logging into GA. The software will do an auto log out after a period of time.
  6. Susan Addams

I've run forums myself although none at the present time. I'm quite aware of the proper sequence of events since I write the code too. I haven't had to login since my first day on the forum, and I still haven't had to type in my user/pass to post on the forum. That ain't it.