1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WTC victim trading cards.. wtf?

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by Misu, Nov 23, 2002.

1. Misu

Misu Hey, I saw that.

So here I am, perusing the web, when I stumble upon someone's blog, talking about the WTC victim trading cards. They point to a USATODAY article, which of course doesn't work, so I search for it on google, and I come across this link:
    http://washingtontimes.com/national/20021121-1376488.htm

Sure enough, someone is making WTC victim's trading cards... I mean, 'memorial cards'...

"Ghoulish, exploitive, degrading, tasteless? Since he announced his commercial intentions last spring, Mr. Barham and his cards have been called all these things in press reports, on talk radio and by relatives of victims.
    More than 170 families, however, gave their blessing to the project, offering photos, memories, poems and permission to use the material.

The cards will be sold in eight-card, dark-toned packets for $2, with family members receiving 8 percent of the gross sales of the product."

I'm stunned at the number of families that allowed these cards to exist with their deceased family members. Maybe it's just me - maybe I'm stuck up - but I would never allow some jerk to exploit the death of any relative that died during any type of terrorist attack. I can't believe at the 8% cut they get... It's all about money. It really is.

<small>Guys, if I die in a terrorist attack, please don't let my picture get plastered on a trading card? Please?</small>

2. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

That's just wrong. LOL! I am laughing at how stupid this is. I mean, they are DEAD people, dying in a terrorist attack.

Does Israel or England have something similar?

3. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Passed Away Aug. 19, 2006

You folks just do not have the proper capitalist spirit.

4. Coot

Coot Passed Away January 7, 2010

Hmmm....Just trying to see how this would work...I'll trade you two Cantor Fitzgerald employees for a firefighter and a Port Authority cop?

5. Valkyre

Valkyre Crazy Viking Woman

I think it was in the original Newsweek article, it mentioned that the girlfriend of one of the victims, a fireman, passed herself off as his wife. And thus, gave them permission to use his image. His mother and brother are very upset about this. They never even heard about this and would not have given permission for his image to be used.

6. Techie2000

Techie2000 The crowd would sing:

I'll trade you my NYPD dude for your Murder in Small Town X winner card...

7. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Silly, isn't it?

8. Misu

Misu Hey, I saw that.

Silly - no. It's disgusting. I read the guy has been blased on tv, radio, newspapers and magazines - but he's still going ahead with this. Which means he knows he's got a market for it.

I want to know who would have the balls to buy these cards. Probably someone who trades serial killer cards.

9. Valkyre

Valkyre Crazy Viking Woman

Maybe it's the cynic in me. But, I wouldn't be surprised if someone prints out trading cards with the hi-jackers on them. :(

10. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Passed Away Aug. 19, 2006

Hey -- where can I get those serial killer cards?

11. Frodo Lives

Frodo Lives Luke, I am NOT your father!

I MIGHT have been able to look the other way if the cards where given for free, or ALL the money made was given to the families of those lost on 9-11. However, that not being the case, I have to agree that this is just a sick way to profit from a tragidy.

12. limeygit

limeygit Assume Sarcasm...

Disposable income can be a dangerous thing...

13. Violet1966

Violet1966 Stand and Deliver Staff Member

Yeah and they'll probably be like bonus cards. Hardest to find. Might even be a special BinLaden card like a Wonka ticket somewhere. You win an all expense paid trip to your favorite battle zone. I have to laugh because it's insane. :nut:

14. RRedline

RRedline Veteran MMember

I think it's sick that the families who agreed are going to profit from it. I guess it's not enough that they got money from donations and from the government. At least most of the families have not agreed to it.

15. BigDeputyDog

BigDeputyDog Straight Shootin Admin Staff Member

You can get them here ...

It's a sick society... :rolleyes:

BDD...

16. mikepd

mikepd Veteran Member

Let's face it, we're talking crass capitalism here. Make a buck, marketing sells and there will always be buyers.

I recently had a conversation about Ebay with someone and the crazy thinngs on sale there. He informs me that at one time someone posted an auction for God, no less, and that the bidding was up to a million dollars before the whole thing was pulled.

I wanted to know what the buyer would have gotten-season passes, unlimited wishes, a direct line?

The kidney for sale fiasco got the Feds interested real fast.

There will always be insensitive, 'I don't give a damn' jerks and people stupid enough willing to buy from them.

Spammers are proof of that.

17. wafen

wafen Member

People bought pet rocks, this doesn't surprise me.
    The people giving there stories away doesn't surprise me either.
    If you watch the news you will see people that have just lost a bunch of their family in a fire answer a reporter about how they feel.
    If it was me I would knock the reporter on their ass.
    These bastards swoop in at the most vulnerable time of a persons life to get what they want while they are still in shock.

18. Frodo Lives

Frodo Lives Luke, I am NOT your father!

:( I wonder if next they will release "trading" cards with the pictures of all the people who died from lung cancer that they had contracted due to smoking. DWI fatality? Collect them all. Heroes of the Spanish Inquisition? Where do I get them?

19. Pyrion

Pyrion Liquid Metal Nanomorph

What'll ultimately spell disaster for mankind is when some sicko businessman in the middle east develops a "counter" to all of this by releasing "Jihad Trading Cards". ;)

20. Coot

Coot Passed Away January 7, 2010

Can I borrow that idea for a few weeks? ;)