1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WTC begins rebuilding

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by Misu, Nov 21, 2002.

1. Misu

Misu Hey, I saw that.

According to the above article, the WTC will begin rebuilding. The first planned building is a 52 story building, slightly taller than one that was destroyed during the attacks last year.

The final design of the WTC has yet to be finalized.

Well, I for one am pleased that they decided to go ahead and rebuild. As a New Yorker (hey I was born there, I can claim my birthright!) it cut into me like a knife, seeing my beloved Twin Towers go down - and all those people... We can't bring them back, but we can bring back life to our city, and the rest of the country. I just hope they calculated in their designs the possibility of another terrorist attack in the future.
  2. Techie2000

Techie2000 The crowd would sing:

I hope the final product looks as sexy as the one in the CG rendering...

As far as my opinion on doing this, I am 100% behind it. I hope we rebuild the two big towers too...
  3. Sierra Mike

Sierra Mike The Dude Abides Staff Member

Same here.

4. mikeky

mikeky Member

I wonder if the rebuilt center will become a magnet for potential terrorists, to try to bring it down once again.
  5. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

No doubt in my mind. It's a psychological challenge now.
  6. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Passed Away Aug. 19, 2006

Funny how some people liked those builddings. I watched them being built and could hardly believe my eyes as they went up -- I thought they were banal, boring and almost downright ugly. I became used to them, but never really liked them. I hope they erect something a bit more interesting in the replacements.
  7. Misu

Misu Hey, I saw that.

You really didn't like them? Hrm. I loved them. I was always fascinated by them - how you could look at them and sometimes not see their tops because they woudl PASS the clouds.

I guess to a little girl, they were wonders to behold.
  8. ethics

I didn't see them being built and that's perhaps as to why I loved them.

They were the first buildings we saw when we flew in to New York. They were wonders to my family and they were symbols to everything we had hoped and achieved here.

When my wife came to the states, she got out of the car across from WTC1 and asked if she can cross the street and touch them. She went over and spent about 5 minutes just holding the building, looking up and down, and petting it.

She came back with tears in her eyes.

My brother and I wept when they tumbled. Nothing they build will replace, will ever fill in the hole those buildings left.
  9. Misu

Misu Hey, I saw that.

You know ethics, that's exactly how I feel...

I think it's great that we're rebuilding on that spot - not only does this country need this economically, we need it mentally. We need to know we're going to be ok - and what better way to show ourselves that than to rebuild.

But I feel a piece of my heart has been taken from me. Just thinking about it gets me choked up. I couldn't go to school for a week after the attacks - all I could do was watch the news day in and out, to make sure it was really happening - I had nightmares that I was entering the buildings, catching myself on fire, trying to rescue people. It was awful, and it took me MONTHS to get over the dreams. Nothing will ever replace the original WTC for me. But it would be nice to have something there, as a big F**K YOU to any would-be terrorists.
  10. MJF

MJF Amphibious Member

Shortly after the disaster, I purchased and read Twin Towers by Angus Kress Gillespie. It's a quick read and gives an excellent insight into the politics, design and construction of the towers. I recommend it.

I worked in lower Manhattan from late 69 until late 72. My office was 4 blocks away from the construction. It was amazing watching the construction progress.

I have visited the site a number of times since 9/11. The first time was 3 weeks after. That scene is indelibly etched into my memory.

I understand that the new building is replacing #7 which was across Vesey St from the Towers and will be the design model for the new complex.
  11. ethics

I worked for Cantor for a while also, lost many good people there.

Since that horrid day, I have yet to be there. People tell me to go, to reconcile, to move on.

I can't.

I think I will be ready when I see them building something new, a fresh start.
  12. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Passed Away Aug. 19, 2006

The buildings may have sentimental value because of associations in people's minds, but as architectural "art" they sucked.

Want to see a great bulding -- take a look at the Chrysler Building, unfortunately now surrounded by taller buildings, but still magnificant when you take a look from a good vantage point, especially at night when it is lit.

Best thing about the WTC was the view from the obseration deck on a clear day or night. You could see for miles.
  13. ethics

Know what? I know they sucked, they stood out like two sore thumbs out of the ground, they were totally not in synch with the rest of the skyline.

But they were ours, and with bumps and warts, I'd take them back in a heartbeat.
  14. Misu

Misu Hey, I saw that.

I guess I'm a weirdo then, because I never thought they were ugly. I thought their minimalistic design was beautiful.
  15. RRedline

RRedline Veteran MMember

I have to agree, Misu. I thought the beauty was the relative size of them compared to the rest of the skyline. Had other buildings sprouted up around them ant matched or exceeded their size, then I would say they were ugly. I'm sorry, but as plain as they were, everytime I saw then in a picture or on television(sadly, I've never been to NYC yet!), I saw the beauty that was the achievement in erecting them. Plain...definitely. Ugly...no way!
  16. ShinyTop

ShinyTop I know what is right or wrong!

Kind of like a great dane, ugly but majestic in size and bearing.
  17. Sierra Mike

Sierra Mike The Dude Abides Staff Member

Agreed. I'd go for rebuilding them as they were.