1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Writing a Letter of Recommendation

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by Techie2000, May 15, 2009.

1. Techie2000

Techie2000 The crowd would sing:

Anyone have any good resources or advice on writing a letter of recommendation? Someone asked me to do one for their application for an internship and I've never written one before.

2. Steve

Steve Is that it, then?

You're putting the cart before the horse.

Write it naturally, saying what you want to say without regard to form. Focus on content.

Then go back and prettify it.

That's the only way to write well.

3. joseftu

joseftu ORIGINAL Pomp-Dumpster

Not bad advice at all from Steve. I've written hundreds of them.

Just to add another key point--it really helps to mention specifics about what the person has done or achieved that you've seen.

And when you get to that prettifying stage, it doesn't hurt to have that ringing final endorsement sentence.

"Jimmy the Frog is eminently qualified for this internship. He is an outstanding candidate, and I recommend him without the slightest hesitation."

4. Greg

Greg Full Member

Did you google? :)

This one looked best to me after a short perusal, or this one (scroll down to "academic").

I haven't written any myself. All who I know are reprobates.

5. Greg

Greg Full Member

Wow, three good ideas in less than 10 minutes! (Steve and Joe composed faster than I did.)

6. Techie2000

Techie2000 The crowd would sing:

Thanks everyone, that helps. I figured I'd just get some advice from people that might have done it before.