1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

[WOW] WoW's newest attempt at bringing back the player$...

Discussion in 'MMORPG' started by Andy, Nov 8, 2013.

1. Andy

Announces at Blizcon to day I guess.

I gotta say, i jumped back on my Rift account the other day and what I am enjoying most there is creating my own dimensions (Rift's housing)

This just may actually sucker me back in to WoW yet again :p
  2. Elspeth

Elspeth Beware the Fire Dragon

I am so looking forward to this. I got the coverage of blizzcon (curse my addiction to pets) and am going to watch it this weekend. I will try and take notes. The new expansion looks interesting also. Plus Hearthstone and Heroes of the Storm. Blizzard is going to get a lot of my money.
  3. Andy

I was kinda excited to see a new area opened up,(Draenor) then in true Blizz fashion I found out it's just a re-skinned Outland... pre-destruction.
  4. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

I am back on LOTRO and not looking back. The right Kin makes the difference. Best housing was in Ultima Online and the original designer just kicked off a kickstarter project.
  5. Esprenaltro

Esprenaltro Guest

Really looking forward to the next expansion for WoW... level 100 chars will be sooo OP :D
  6. ethics

Everything in WoW is OP.
  7. Copzilla

Copzilla dangerous animal Staff Member

I'm going to go out on a limb here, but in my opinion, WoW hasn't been worth spit in the last 3 releases. At least not for gamers looking to face a challenge. I understand casual gamers and just going and having fun, and all that. The flip side to it is actually grouping with some people willing to expend a little time and effort, just to see how far up the chain you can push your toon. And to me, that was a lot of fun. And even casual raiding has taken kind of a beating, with instances and fights that are not well designed. Nothing is fresh and unusual.

BC was a great expansion. Karazhan was excellent, a great lower level raid where you could spend some time and engage in some very fun fights. I mean really, you went into a theater and had Romeo and Juliet encounter on-stage while an audience of undead cheered you on, you had Little Red Riding hood where some random person got turned into the little girl and you had to kite the Big Bad Wolf around the stage until your transformation wore off. It was just FUN.

Coilfang was the worst raid instance in that joint, and it was pretty solid. And the other raid instances, Tempest Keep, you had the bosses Solarian, who was a great fight, the Phoenix boss that dropped a very rare and very unusual mount. You had a giant bot in there that you had to fight. You had a huge Gronn boss that turned everyone to stone and shattered them. And Black Temple and original Hyjal were unbelievably awesome end-game instances. There were no special heroic modes, or re-hashing old fights. Lich King was a step back from the genius of BC, and then Cataclysm was a disaster of a release. Pandaria is really pretty boring, and adding more ways to make cooking recipes is only interesting if you're sitting home and nothing is good on TV.

Pandaria - Doing it on easy mode, then regular mode, then going to heroic mode, rehashing the same old shit every time. By the time people finish with the instances in LFR, they really don't want to grind out the harder modes. LFR killed the number of people who could be recruited for actual challenging raiding.

And getting a legendary is like everyone can do it. It's not even hard. Used to be that any server had maybe a dozen legendaries. Now I have 5 personally.
  8. ethics

That's what turned me off though and I am casual. What I loved about UO was the HUGE risk of dying and having your equipment looted if you didn't get back in time for your corpse. What I loved about EQ was the HUGE risk of losing experience that was so hard to get. Die enough times and you can (and I have) lose an entire level. A level that would take months to gain.

WoW has always been easier than prior MMO's but it was still hard when it came out and up until BC. There's nothing out there with the same big risk. Sadder is that there's nothing on horizon because that's not where MMO's are heading and if they were, it's a bad business model because MOST people -- not unlike in their real life -- want an easy mode on.
  9. jimeez

jimeez Thread Killer

Without a doubt!! Can you expand on the details of the UO designer's kickstarter project?
  10. ethics

Shroud of Avatar.
  11. jimeez

jimeez Thread Killer

Oh shit! Can't see a lot of the media content from here at the office (blocked content) but what I can see looks promising. Anyone signing up?
  12. ethics

I contributed to the kickstart so I am in by proxy. They send me updates almost daily.
  13. SixofNine

SixofNine Jedi Sage Staff Member

On a whim I just pledged, too.