1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wow

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by ShinyTop, Jan 1, 2003.

1. ShinyTop

ShinyTop I know what is right or wrong!

Check out this for a hell of a maneuverable helicopter. Only in model size but WOW.

2. bruzzes

bruzzes Truthslayer

Wait til Steve gets a load of THAT!!!

He may re-up!

3. Sierra Mike

Sierra Mike The Dude Abides Staff Member

I don't get it.

The rotors aren't spinning. If the rotors aren't spinning fast enough to provide motive force--and they're not--then there's something else at play here. There are instances where the rotors don't move at all, which means they're not producting thrust, nor are they providing any sort of transitive lift.

Sorry. This ain't a helicopter. It's something else. Call it a hovercraft if you will, but a helicopter it ain't; it doesn't seem to be responding to ground effect whatsoever.

Wanna impress me? Put a useable weapon loadout on one. :)

SM

4. ShinyTop

Damn, you're picky. Sniff!

5. ShinyTop

The other link on the site shows how they are doing some of those maneuvers with manned copters. Looks to me like they are using computer controls for much of it.

6. Sierra Mike

Oh, absolutely. I can roll and loop an MD-500--without ordnance. I can also do the same maneuvers with an Apache with the AFCS switched off, though it becomes somewhat burdensome. And the UH-60 can roll around, too--but I do remember the aviation brigade commander retiring some guys from line duty over at the 101st for doing such.

SM

7. bruzzes

bruzzes Truthslayer

Various computer driven thrusters somewhere?
    Uncanny even watching it. How many G's would one pull with some of those manuevers? I am completely ignorant in these matters and just wondered.

8. Sierra Mike

In real life, with a full-sized helicopter? Well over three, which is when even bearingless carbon-fiber rotor systems fall apart. :)

SM