1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

[WoW] UI/addons thread

Discussion in 'MMORPG' started by Andy, Aug 4, 2005.

1. SixofNine

SixofNine Jedi Sage Staff Member

I'm always tinkering, but I've gotten fairly comfortable with this UI in combat during a 25-man raid (my strongly preferred method of checking out UIs -- don't show me what your screen looks like while you're scratching your ass in Dalaran :D ).

It can be a little difficult to tinker with your in-combat UI while you're in combat, but enough trial and error has gotten it to this point, mostly by trying to keep the center of the screen clear and not having anything pop up that blocks my view of myself or the ground around me.

I have BigWigs set up to display its cooldowns on the right and its messages and distance warnings in the upper center. Scrolling combat text is on the left.

X-Perl target and target of target are between the chat box and the Grid frames (I do the same with focus on the other side).

That yellow-ish circle around me is Power Auras telling me that I have Surge of Light up and I have four seconds left to use it. The pinkish glow outside of that is Holy Concentration, which has six seconds left. I used to have the opacity set a lot higher, but it's more important to be able to see through those visuals. Each of those also have their own unique sound when they proc.

99% of my healing is done via Grid + Clique now. As any of you Grid users know, there is ton of flexibility with the Grid add-ons in terms of the information that you want conveyed to you and how you want Grid to do that.

In my case the icons, dots, and numbers are telling me that Questiondead has a snobold on him and Prayer of Mending has bounced to Dwarr. Sangwyn, Dwarr, and Question have Renews ticking. Tryan is shielded, and Grid also confirms the BigWigs message that Tryan has three Impales.

I just installed a fan update of Tell Me When. That's the four boxes to the right of the Grid frames. I have it set so that if I use Guardian Spirit, Circle of Healing, or my trinket, the appropriate icon disappears until its cooldown has expired. It's a great visual cue to tell me when I can use an item or a skill that has a cooldown longer than the GCD.

Finally, good old Omen in the lower righthand corner keeps track of threat -- good to see the tanks at the top of it, followed by (shocker) a hunter (warlocks are still very good for that, too). By the way, that hunter "Korbane" is Corbain from back when we raided AQ20 with Wum Ba -- good guy.

2. Copzilla

Copzilla dangerous animal Staff Member

Corbain actually accompanied us into BWL a few times. I specifically remember Paramecius calling out his name in the tranq shot rotation. He is a good gamer.
  3. Andy

Ok, is there a "fix" or a better release (or complete replacement) for X-perl? Over at Curse I see it hasn't been updated in quite a while, some mentions of alpha clients on WoW Ace but not too keen on flubbing around with alpha's any more.

I'm getting the health bar bug showing me at 100% health on my portrait regardless of my real health. The only way I actually caught it and didn't die was having target of target turned on.
  4. SixofNine

SixofNine Jedi Sage Staff Member

I still use X-Perl to move frames around but I use Grid to monitor health so I haven't even noticed that. Other frame addons that still get a lot of recommendations are Vuhdo, Pitbull, and Shadow Unit Frames.
  5. Andy

It's been a while since I found an addon I like.

It changes the standard round minimap into a moveable/size adjustable square minimap that shows more area around you, with a few extra features.
    The one I love it now it flashes the yellow dot of something you are tracking, making it easier to see it out of the corner of your eye when flying around.