1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

[WoW] [Rant] [sort of] Fishing....

Discussion in 'PC/Console Gaming' started by Andy, Jun 2, 2005.

1. Andy

Andy ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Well, I took a little "vacation" over the last 2 days, after I racked up 5 bags full of loot (I have the complete set of "Palori's Runecloth" 14 slot bags! She's my favorite tailor.. Wait 'till you see the Purple silk shirts she can make now. :drool: ) twice over, and posted most of my green-gotten goodies up for auction...

I grabbed my 5+ strong-pole and went fishing.

I got some greatly appreciated help from Frodo the other day to get my weak-arse down to Booty Bay and drop 1G on the 225 fishing manual. (we only got jumped by gorillas twice. rofl )
    Spent the next 2 days kicking back with some kegs of Bourbon and just went plain ol' fishin.
    I fished in Darnassus, Westfall (Steadman's pond) Redridge, the frozen pond in Iron Forge area, The Wetlands, Menethil Harbor, Darkshore, Loch Modan, Stormwind, and even a graveyard in Duskwood.

Bad part? No matter how much you read, you will never get more than an occasional vendor-trash drop, or mana potion... (I got 5 mana potions and 1 Tiger's Eye in over 500 catches) and fishing in the Forlorn Caverns seems to have gone by the wayside.
    Also, I later find out after reading all the "latest" info on where/how to find "The 1 Ring", that fishing got nerfed long before Coriakin was born. (Thanks script kiddies!) No wonder that guy wants 500 gold for it on the weekends. :doh:

So I have my skill maxed up to 225 until I get to do the 225+ quest @ lvl 40 and only can stack red snappers and the occasional 14lb catfish that I am now able to pull out of Moonglade.

Good part?

There's just something relaxing about being waist deep in a stream in Moonglade, stacking up those snappers and catfish, while all of your auctions are going "ca-ching" all the way over the sea in Iron Forge.

Now... to get my sorry Night Elf tail back in gear and get over that hump of season 29, and hit 30 so I can get my nifty lvl 5 "Mark of the wild", and my travel form :happy:

(Deadmines/BFD this weekend anyone? :p )

2. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

I don't know man, I LOVE fishing. You have to remember that there's better loot in the more difficult cities. Tanaris, for example, has some nice fish. Couple it with fishing and you can REALLY make some good food.

Fishing, then cooking your catches, does it get any better than this?

3. Andy

Andy ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I know.... :)

I don't cook. (although I think I can, you can have 3 minor skills, right? I only have Fishing and First Aid)

I do stack up the good ones, and will hit up the AH on the weekends and see who wants a stack of the really good 500+ health/level 36 fish I get in Moonglade. ;)

I hope it does get better in the higher areas, cause I seem to have hit my limit in the levels up to 30 I can fish in now.
    I had to hit 201 in Fishing to be allowed to fish Moonglade.

I also had to force myself to put my pole and tackle in the bank, and go out to grind for exp and $$$... I am falling a bit behind. rofl

4. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

You can have cooking as well.

5. Brazbit

Brazbit Nah... It can't be.

Fishing, Cooking, and First Aid do not count against profession totals.

Personally I love fishing in WoW unfortunately the higher level I get the more people I need to have with me to run quests and I can't exactly tell them to chill while I fish. Nor do I want to blow them off to fish, it is hard enough to find people to quest with without falling behind the group and either having to skip quests or making my friends do the quest over just for me.

Perhaps the planets will allign again and allow me to fish once more.

6. Andy

Andy ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

They do toward the secondary ones.... And since there only seems to be three for now, three is the max. ;)

7. SixofNine

SixofNine Jedi Sage Staff Member

I gave fishing short shrift until I hit the point in alchemy where I needed certain fish to make reagents for potions (like Blackmouth for Blackmouth Oil for Swim Speed Potion and Elixir of Water Breathing). Since then I've set aside a couple of sessions to catch up, but I still have a way to go.

I don't think I'm even at a high-enough level to catch Blackmouth myself, but a Night Elf pal of mine gave me some. :) I don't think I'm at a high enough level yet (75) to even fish off the dock at Lakeshire.

Braz, I hear ya. The only way I can fish is to do it right after I log on, before I hook up with anybody for questing or grinding. Heck, it's even hard for me to pick up herbs when I'm part of a group tearing through the countryside on multiple quests.

Brian

8. Andy

Andy ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Don't feel bad about the blackmouths..

My fishing is currently maxed out at 225 until I hit lvl 40 to do the next quest, I can only catch 3 out of every 5 casts in Moonglade (minimum 210 I think to fish there?) even with bait/lures and I only gathered 8 blackmouths in an hour-and-a-half session there last weekend. :eek:

They sold nice in the AH though. Gone within 2 hours. :cool: