1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

[WoW] Limited Time Offer

Discussion in 'MMORPG' started by ethics, Aug 1, 2005.

1. MNeedham73

MNeedham73 Well-Known Member

RAM seems to be fairly inexpensive right now (again). I've found 1gb RAM kits (2x 512mb) of PC3200 for around $100 or so. Would be quite the upgrade from the single stick of PC2700 I've got now, I think.
  2. MNeedham73

Meh, I can't decide what kind of character I want to start with. I was planning on a warlock, but in every other MMORPG I've played, I've always played a hunter-type.

GAH! :banghead:
  3. Brazbit

Brazbit Nah... It can't be.

Actually in this game hunter and warlock are not too terribly different. Both rely heavily on pets/minions. However if you go with hunter you have a wider variety of pets available, get to shoot boom sticks, and do not get bugged every 5 seconds with "D00d cud U plz summon m3 to where UR?"

Actually my suggestion would be to start both and get them both to about level 13-15 before making a decision.
  4. MNeedham73

Eww..I used to get that kind of thing with my archer in Asheron's Call. Archer's have to make their own arrows in that game (or have another character with that skill). I used to get "d00d! C4n j00 m4k3 m3 $0m3 4rr0wz?"

Hunter it is for now. I'll post his name up in a few minutes.
  5. MNeedham73

Ok, character is a Tauren hunter. Name is Midhir (name of the Irish god of the underworld hehe)
  6. SixofNine

SixofNine Jedi Sage Staff Member

Yay! We'll be keeping an eye out for ya.

7. Piobaireachd

Piobaireachd Full Member

Woohoo! :happy:

Received my copy of WoW today! I can't wait to jump in. Unfortunately it will have to wait until the weekend, but I'll start reading up.

Thank you again Leon.
  8. MNeedham73

Careful, Todd. It's addicting as all heck lol
  9. Domh

Domh Full Member

You can actually play this game... and other MMORPGs on DIAL UP?

No way.

10. MNeedham73

They only places in the game where I would suspect dial-up would be an issue is going into highly populated areas (towns, etc).

Oh, and downloading patches wouldn't be much fun either.
  11. Piobaireachd

Piobaireachd Full Member

According to the requirements in the manual, it needs an Internet connection 56K or better. Sounds like it will work, but it may be painful.
  12. Brazbit

Brazbit Nah... It can't be.

I had a friend that played SWG daily with dial-up he never lagged any more than the rest of us. The biggest part of making a modern MMO work smoothly is RAM and your video card. As a matter of fact, the friend using dial-up often would load new areas faster than I would thanks to him having twice the RAM I had. Once I upgraded I was able to load faster than him but not appreciably so. Since WoW is no where near as demanding as SWG I would guess it would work excellent over dial-up as long as you have a decent computer to play it on.
  13. SixofNine

SixofNine Jedi Sage Staff Member

Before the GA Horde guild started I ran around on my original server with a guy who was playing the game on dial-up

14. Elspeth

Elspeth Beware the Fire Dragon

In my limited experience with these types of games (never really played video games as a kid, I was out riding horses for 10 hours a day in the summer :cool: ) I find that if your video settings are at the highest your card can do then it runs a lot better. We everyone is screaming about lag I am running along just fine. The only time it was bad was when I was downloading patches onto my laptop while playing on my desktop.