1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

[WoW] Keys to making gold

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by Copzilla, Dec 23, 2005.

1. Copzilla

Copzilla dangerous animal Staff Member

Guys, seems like I'm rolling in gold and a lot of people are struggling to make ends meet, so at the risk of cutting my own throat and adding competitors to the AH, I'm going to let you all in on my secrets to making phat wads of lewt at the AH. Hopefully this will help you guys buy those epic mounts. I had mine in about 3 weeks from the time I decided I was shooting for it.

Everyone seems to have a gathering skill of some sort - mining, herbalism, skinning, fishing... This is the moneymaker. The skills that put these materials together are not the moneymakers, although they are necessary.

Tip #1 - Materials generally sell for more than the created product. As an example, it takes 3g 50s worth of materials to make a superior mana potion. But the superior mana potion only sells for a single gold. The reason is that people get the mana potions in a drop and sell them cheap, and also because the weeds are in demand by people who have alchemy as a skill but not herbalism. They pay BIG money to feed their skills.

Tip #2 - You're going to have to dedicate a couple hours to loot runs. Using JUST those gathering skills, you've got to pick that gold up off the ground. Do this a couple times a week! For instance, plaguebloom sells for about 35s each. Yet when you pick some, you get 3 of them, frequently. That's a solid gold for 5 seconds of time. You then haul ass looking for more stuff...

Tip #3 - Don't sell maximum stacks. Nobody wants to buy a 20 pack of plaguebloom. They don't need that much. Break it apart using shift-leftclick, and sell two stacks of 10. This helps you sell for more, also... Some peckerhead may be trying to sell a 20 stack for 7 gold buyout, and you can sell two stacks of 10 for 4 gold buyout each while his are still sitting there.

Tip #4 - Develop a loot route.

Mine is this - Fly to Azshara, and from the flight point, I go southwest toward the river, do a circle east once hitting the mountains by the road, run back north at the ruins to the northern mountains where the Furlbogs live. Track those mountains east, into the land of the elite rock giants. I'm picking all flowers along the way. Run the edges of the map - many flowers like to grow on rocks in the mountains. Once into the land of rock giants I don't go far. I run south then to the cliffs overlooking the ruins, and back west along the cliffs. Along that way there is a path going down to the beach, and a tidepool along that path. I fish in that tidepool, and it delivers all the same numbers that beach fishing Azshara does. I like to fish for about 15 minutes and then mount up again, usually get 2-4 stonescale eels (1-1.5g each) and a number of winter squid and firefin snapper, both of which sell for about 20s each, roughly. Sometimes I may run down onto the beach and kick the crap out of nagas for pearls, if I feel like violence. But this really isn't cost effective, as pearls sell cheap. For the record, I store the eels until I have a bundle, and then make 450-buff armor potions out of them, selling for 4.5g bid and 5.5 - 6g buyout for a 2-pack. They sell like mad. I can't keep em in stock.

Then once back at the flight point, I fly on to Felwood. I track south through Felwood on the west side of the road, then at the border, I cross the road and track north on the east side of the road. You actually need to get off the road in Felwood. Felwood is great, because you frequently find 2-3 weeds all bunched together. By the time I get through Felwood, I frequently have 5 or 6 stacks of 20 weeds.

At the northern end of Felwood, I run through the cave and do a big giant loop through Winterspring. I run south first, and you HAVE to get off the road! Mountain Silversage grows in those mountains, and they sell nicely. Icecap is the big moneymaker there, and you should run the circle until you have at least 20. I usually shoot for 30.

Tip #5 - Don't overloot any one item. Get 20 stacks of 5 or 6 different items, so you're not artificially dropping any demand. I see this happen from time to time, where some dipshit goes and loots a bazillion sungrass from Hinterlands and has like 400 of them for sale in the AH. And he can't sell them all, so he keeps dropping his price, and dropping his price... Gah! He should gather and sell 40 of them, and 30 goldthorn, and 30 wild steelbloom, and 6 ghost mushrooms, and then do the same thing a couple days later. He would make more money, and not kill the market.

Tip #6 - IF you see someone selling something way too cheap, don't sell alongside his price. It takes a long time to recover from that expectation. You can do a couple of things - buy the items, and resell them for what they should sell for. I did this last week, when some dipshit put 20 Superior Defense pots up, a 2-pack for 3g buyout. I snapped them all up, and resold them for 5.5g buyout per 2-pack. They sold easily. But be careful to only do this with items you're SURE he cannot easily replenish and you're SURE is underpriced. Eel don't grow on trees in WoW. As opposed to me dropping my price, I took advantage of his idiocy.

If there is too much of one item for sale for too cheap, hold your item! They will be bought up eventually, and usually by the end of the week, that item dries up. By not listing cheap, you're actually harming supply, which will drive the price up. Farm other loot that is in shorter supply...

Tip #6 - The AH is empty after the Tuesday updates. You can frequently be the only one selling a material, and you can then set the price expectations for the week. I had this happen last week, when there was no icecap up for sale. I listed 3 stacks of 10 at 8 gold buyout each, and they were GONE. The heavier price held all week, and they were selling...

Tip #7 - Don't underestimate the lesser materials. If you aren't selling briskly in the AH, try selling some of those materials you were gathering at level 35-40. Example - I made up a bunch of Greater Defense pots (+250) that only take a single goldthorn and a single steelbloom. They sold for 4 gold for a 5 pack. Gathering the mats for 30 of them is like a 45 minute loop around the mountains in Arathi Highlands. And you even get to stop and smack the crap out of Fozzie solo if you feel like it.

Tip #8 - Farming is a LOT faster on an epic mount. But you already knew that... ;)
  2. SixofNine

SixofNine Jedi Sage Staff Member

All of your advice is good, common sense. The only thing I haven't done on a consistent basis is find the time, though I'm back up to 100 gold or so in my peak and valley finances.

One thing I would add is that high end instance runs (e.g., Scholo, Strath) = one gold farming run. The loot is that good.

Sometimes the economy just bites you. I put up a nice odd lot of Plaguebloom (I also avoid selling full stacks, this one is 7 or 8, something like that) at an under-market price (checked Auctioneer, bought an underpriced singlet). It didn't sell. I have it up there a second time, the ticker is down to "long," and nobody had bid on it. Go figure.

I expect our world will be highly populated over the Christmas break. Don't know if that will cause a seller's market as noobs try to twink up, or a buyer's market as noobs flood the AH inventory. We shall see. :)

3. Brazbit

Brazbit Nah... It can't be.

Well that sure didn't happen. The market was near record lows for inventory. Splitting the stacks worked surprisingly well. Myself I shop for:
    A. The best deal
    B. Full stacks
    C. All of the above
    So splitting the stacks was not intuitive, except of course when I know people only need a few of an item for a quest in which case full stacks are just silly.

Thanks for the tips Copz. As Sied said most are common sense but one or two really helped.
  4. Copzilla

Sam decided she was going to sell that tailoring pattern for warlocks. She figured she can buy it again if she wanted, or maybe another item will drop she wants more. She paid 50g for her pattern, buying it bid (not buyout) last week before the Tuesday updates. She saw none were listed yesterday. She just sold it this morning for 90g buyout. Crazy... :)
  5. Andy

I got on this am first thing when the servers came back up and went to put all my wares back up for auction..

I noticed that the AH was already stacked to the gills with weeds, etc. that I was going to sell myself, all were on very long or long timers still...

I've never seen that much plaguebloom or arthas' tear even on a weekend...:banghead:

Either one of a few things happened.. someone (doubtful, it was from multiple players, and I got on within minutes of the server coming back online) beat me on and loaded up like I was going to do, the AH timer finally stops when servers go down, unlike in the past..(also doubtful) or lastly, someone is hedging the AH/patch day madness by putting up all thier auctions right before servers go down in the am, biting the bullet on the 6+ hours of unsellable time, just to have stuff there when servers come back up.
  6. SixofNine

Meanwhile, another lowly seven Plaguebloom of mine, priced to sell, sat in the AH for 24 hours unmolested. :( Just might be a current glut of supply - the Gromsblood I picked up sold like hotcakes.

7. SixofNine

And just to be clear, your (Copz's) advice is solid gold. I hope I didn't give the impression of sloughing off your advice by calling it common sense - I meant that as high praise. And your "route map" is a moneymaker. :)

8. Copzilla

Arthas' Tears is useless weed. It isn't useful in making any potions worth having, really, and is why it sells so cheap. Plaguebloom isn't MUCH better, but it does have its uses.

Here's an idea when the weeds aren't selling... Go ahead and cook them into pots. Sell THOSE. They may not sell for as much, but when there's a glut of weed, you gotta get some of it off the market.
  9. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

And if you have a glut of weed (like plaguebloom, sungrass and goldthorn) I'll gladly take it off your hands. We rogues go through juice like no tomorrow. :lol:
  10. SixofNine

That's tough for an enchanter to do (I chose herbalism simply as a moneymaking gathering profession to counterbalance the enchanting). :) Guess I could always get some help with that.

11. MNeedham73

MNeedham73 Well-Known Member

Great tips, Copz. Thanks.

I've almost got my mining skill up to where I can mine mithril.

From what I've seen in the AH, that'll help out my cash flow quite a bit.
  12. SixofNine

I've been running up and down Felwood, with particular attention to those water mobs who drop Essence of Water (key mat for mana regen bracers enchant). What has been selling well for me recently is the Gromsblood that I pick up in this zone.

13. Copzilla

Bumping this thread for Sarkith. I think we worked out those thread permissions too, so Sark, let me know if you can read this thread now.
  14. SixofNine

Finally hit the required fishing level (probably 250) where I can catch Stonescale Eels in Azshara. :thumbsup:

15. Copzilla

Excellent! When you get stacks, let me know if you want me to cook them into the Major Defense potions. 2 eels and 1 sungrass per potion. Then two packs sell for 4.5g bid, 5.5g buyout (or thereabouts). Just mail the mats and I'll mail the pots back.
  16. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

Or just mail me the eels. I go through that juice like crazy. :lol:
  17. Plunge

Plunge Passed Away July 20, 2007

Another great way to make money is have a Korean nephew who plays this game 18 hours a day. Email said nephew. Tell him the new server I am on. Have him find some friend who owes him. Have them send me 500 gold so I don't have to worry for a while.

That works really well. :cool:
  18. MNeedham73

MNeedham73 Well-Known Member

LOL Plunge, that'd do it. :haha:

Kind of takes the fun out of it though, don't you think?
  19. Plunge

Plunge Passed Away July 20, 2007

The feeling I hate in life as well as a game, skimping by not knowing if I'm gonna have enough money. Thank you, no.
  20. Carcharoth

Carcharoth Death from the Shadows!

Framming the rogues way.......... Solo and kill every and pick up everthing you can and then sell it at the Vendors..... if something good then put it up on the AH.... :thumbsup: