1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wow....I can see the games now!!!!!!

Discussion in 'PC/Console Gaming' started by tke711, Nov 18, 2002.

1. tke711

tke711 Oink Oink Staff Member

This weekend I finally upgraded my POS TNT2 video card to the GeForce Ti4200 128mb card.

All I can say is WOW!!!!!!

The first thing I did after the card was installed was load up Jedi Knight II. Using the old card, I had to bring down the resolution to get the game to play. Now I can max out the resolution and detail. It's a completely different game!

Next, I loaded up Metal of Honor: Allied Assault. This game was barely able to function on it's lowest setting before with the TNT2 card, but now it looks and plays great at the highest settings!!

It's amazing, it's like I have all new games now!!! I can't wait for Doom3 now!!!! In fact, I'll have to load up the alpha demo when I get a chance.

2. Misu

Misu Hey, I saw that.

Dear Santa -

Please send me a better video card so that I too may experience new games like tke :)

3. Pyrion

Pyrion Liquid Metal Nanomorph

You can get a GF4 Ti4200 for $125, and I think that price is a ripoff, personally. The "GeForceFX" (NV30) has already been announced so the prices should be going down even lower soon. :)

4. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Yesterday, I believe. :) :happy:

5. tke711

I got the Winfast A250 LE TD - MyVivo 128mb card for $150 and free shipping.

There are other Ti4200 cards out there for less money, but with the baby, I really wanted the video capture capabilities so I can store the Hi8 cassettes on CD instead. Plus, it is extremely easy to overclock. :)

If I was going for a straight gaming card (and the wife would allow me to blow $300 on a video card), I would have gone for the ATI Radeon 9700 pro.

6. Pyrion

At this juncture, I avoid ATI like the plague. The ATI TV Tuner I bought a year ago was enough proof that ATI still doesn't have their act together when it comes to drivers.

For example, in order to keep the vertical sync of the TV signal from going crazy, I have to right click on SOMETHING that forces a menu to overlay the TV area (usually my desktop), because it doesn't like WinXP. I'm not sure ATI has fixed this issue with the ATI MMC with the R9700.

7. tke711

I agree and don't like the ATI all-in-wonder cards. That's why I would just get the 9700 pro which doesn't have TV-in capability.

According to the reviews I read, the 9700 pro is about twice as fast as the Ti4600's out on the market. Plus, it's Direct X 9.0 compatible.

It will be interesting to see how the new GeForceFX will perform against it head-to-head.

8. Pyrion

Well, ATI will still have more memory bandwidth, whereas nVidia is banking on better texture compression.

The thing that worries me is that nVidia is now where ATI used to be: playing catch-up.

9. RRedline

RRedline Veteran MMember

I have read some stuff about the GeForce FX, and it looks like it will be a huge step above anything currently out. guru3d.com has some info about it, and I think tomshardware.com might as well. I read that 3DMark scores of well over 22,000 are to be expected. :)

10. RRedline

RRedline Veteran MMember

Well, I'd expect a series of leapfrogging to occur. One will always be outdoing the other as long as both can survive.

By the way, the GeForce FX is rumored to use DDR-500 RAM for an effective bandwidth of 1 GHz! How is that not up to par with ATi?

11. tke711

ZDnet UK has a good/basic story about the card.

This part caught my attention the most. "It occupies two ports on the PC's board." Very interesting, but might actually limit the number of users that can just grab the card and use it without also upgrading their motherboard and/or case.

There is another good article found here.

Wow....from 136 million to 375 million!!!!

12. Pyrion

Because nVidia stuck with a 128-bit memory bus. The GeForceFX has about 16GB/s of memory bandwidth whereas the R300 (Radeon 9700) has 19.8GB/s.

13. Techie2000

Techie2000 The crowd would sing:

Personally I think my GeForce 3 Ti200 will still be able to hold its own for another year or two before I have to buy a new card to play the latest game. Especially once I get a crystal orb and arctic silver I can overclock the thing pretty good...:)

14. Pyrion

Those orbs are overrated.