1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WoW basic questions

Discussion in 'MMORPG' started by jimeez, Oct 4, 2005.

1. jimeez

jimeez Thread Killer

I am having problems with my Network Adapter (Netgear GA302T). WoW doesn't like it....says it's out of date. I updated the driver, still same error message. Can't install the update. Trying for a manual udate right now...
  2. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Download the file, don't use their pgm to get the update.
  3. jimeez

jimeez Thread Killer

Holy huge installation, Bat Man! 2 hours to install this game. The updates were pains-in-the-ass. Very slow downloads. I saved the patches on my machine. If anyone needs them, I'd be glad to host them for GA members.

Now I have to spend some time in-game and figure this thing out. The game looks beautiful. I was only able to spend about 10 minutes actually in the game last night. Thankfully it's supposed to rain all weekend and I'll have no excuse to not play!
  4. Andy

Let us know your toon's name and race so we can invite you to the Guild if you wish. :)
  5. jimeez

jimeez Thread Killer

I made one up last night without putting much thought into it. His name is Tooley. He's a druid....can't remember the race. Night elf maybe? I'll post all the character info in the Character Info thread tonight and friend everyone.
  6. Andy

A Night Elf ain't a Horde... :p

I just tried putting that name in my friends list and it's telling me you're not in our faction... D'oh.
  7. SixofNine

SixofNine Jedi Sage Staff Member

Hopefully not a night elf, we'll have to kill you. :)

The four Horde races are;

If you really did start a night elf character, no worries. Just create a new one.

8. jimeez

jimeez Thread Killer

Oh...GA members use Horde characters exclusively? I thought Andy was joking. Guess not...

And what's a faction?
  9. Andy

Our Guild is a Horde Guild...

Faction = Alliance or Horde

It's ok though, most of us have had an Alliance toon at one point.. then we grew up. :p
  10. jimeez

jimeez Thread Killer

Hmmm...would you recommend playing an Alliance character when first learning how to play the game? Or doesn't it matter?

Also, I notice CENARION CIRCLE is a Role Playing realm. How serious are you guys (and the other realm inhabitants) into Role Playing? Or is that just a label?
  11. SixofNine

It doesn't matter.

Not too serious. You might get yelled at for talking completely out of character on an open chat channel, but other than that it's just like playing on a "normal" server.

12. Andy

We like playing on the RP server for the fact that they do smack down on the "733T d00d" speak somewhat.
    I had a character for about 30 minutes on a "normal" server once.. the first 10 minutes, the general chat gave me a headache with all the immature kiddies whining about everything.... (character was soon deleted)

Just as long as your character is not a total ass (unlesss that is the role that you play, and pull it off well.. I've seen that too) and be courteous to others in the faction, you'll be fine.

I rarely interact with others outside of the Guild anymore, unless someone asks nicely for help, or whatever... You can do fine just keeping to yourself unless you need help with a quest or etc if one of us is not around..

There will be the occasional kiddie who is whispering to you begging for coin or whatever.. either just ignore them and they go away, or have a bit of fun with it.

As long as it's in character that is. :thumbsup:
  13. Andy

Also, be sure to skim through the stickies here :)
  14. SixofNine

One of the fun things about being on an RP server is:

dat a lot of da trolls talk to you like dis, mon!

15. jimeez

jimeez Thread Killer

That sounds exactly like the kind of on-line gaming environment I've been looking for.
  16. Brazbit

Brazbit Nah... It can't be.

Cool. Yeah people get their panties in a bunch when it comes to RP servers. They imagine a bunch of people crying if you say something that is not consistant with lore or try to get you banned for mentioning something in the real world. While there might be one or two of those most are just regular folks that enjoy getting away from the constant ganking of PvP servers and the lost souls of the PvE servers.

What I have found on the RP server is you have more structured enounters then on a PvP server and a more organized sense of purpose than on a PvE. On PvPs you have a giant pissing contest with folks killing each other constantly with a group of level 60 characters riding into the level 1 area of the opposing faction and killing thousands of noobies for Honor points. On PvE servers you have either folks that wish they were on a PvP server and so issue constant duel requests and try to trick the wildlife into killing other players or you have folks that wish they were on a single player game and don't interact at all.

On the RP servers almost all of that is put aside and you have folks that want to play the game, some insist on talking appropriate for their races but most just want to play. There are organized raids against each factions cities and plenty of people come to the defense of their native lands. You can choose to participate or not. Generally when people duel they are doing so to learn how to do better when fighting the enemy and not just to say "I Pwn3d j00 d00d." It is possibly the most balanced ruleset for a server hidden behind the stigma of RP as defined by geeks in mother's basements playing D&D.
  17. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Well put.
  18. MNeedham73

MNeedham73 Well-Known Member

Does Gillo and I using the /rude emote at some Alliance goobers that were in Charred Vale count as being total asses?

19. Andy

Nope. That is required from the Horde. :rofl:
  20. SixofNine

The only time I "get along" with Alliance is when we're both grinding on the same annoying collection quest. We just kind of go about our business without bothering each other. I hear this even happens on PvP servers.

My only exception to this "get along" rule occurs if the Alliance person is a female night elf. In that case we bid adieu with some glorious three-way sex, preferably with a dead dwarf or gnome as the third party. Then I cook everybody and eat them.