1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WoW basic questions

Discussion in 'MMORPG' started by jimeez, Oct 4, 2005.

1. jimeez

jimeez Thread Killer

I have been debating for months whether or not to start playing this. As a former UO addict, I am sooo tempted to give it a try.

1. How much does it cost per month?
    2. Are there any trial packages available?
    3. How much of a "disadvantage", if any, will I be at starting this late in the game?

2. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

1. 14.95 if you go month by month, cheaper if you prepay a few months in advance.
    2. I think there is, however, just bite the bullet. You'll be glad you did.
    3. None. You'll level up in no time. :)

3. Andy

Andy ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

None.. people start new characters all the time, there are several that have lower level toons in our Guild to tag along with.

However your first several hours of play, you need to dedicate to "learning the ropes" of your keyboard and UI.

Getting in with our Guild, (Make sure you roll a Horde on Cenarion circle!) you have access to decent items to be handed down, tips, answers from anyone who is on, and of course, on Fridays, Ethic's parades around in his pink thong.. albeit a horrid sight on a Tauren Warrior, but while the Alliance is laughing it's fool heads off, we chop 'em to pieces. :nut:.

4. Elspeth

Elspeth Beware the Fire Dragon

Thank you for that lovely mental image. :holyshit:

5. Andy

Andy ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

We gotta keep Braz entertained somehow 'till you get home. :lol:

6. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

ROTFLMAO! I'm not sure she needs THAT mental image, either.

7. Elspeth

Elspeth Beware the Fire Dragon

I don't think I want to know what you people are doing when I am not on. I already know I can leave him alone for any great amount of time. But I don't want him to corrupt you guys. :shake:

But if I have to think about a big tauren in a pink thong (didn't know they came in that size :blush: ) my brain is going to short circut and that wouldn't be good.

Though I do think we need as many people as we can in Big Voodoo masks as we can for Halloween :haha:

8. MNeedham73

MNeedham73 Well-Known Member

Don't forget that it's a specially made pink thong.

Has to have somewhere for Blackie's tail to fit through :nut:

9. SixofNine

SixofNine Jedi Sage Staff Member

First 30 days are free with purchase of the software.
    One advantage is that you will have a bunch of higher level guildies fawning over you - giving you gear, potions, armor kits, enchants, and generally making spectacles of themselves trying to make your game experience fun. :)

Brian

10. Brazbit

Brazbit Nah... It can't be.

We would love to have another GA person. We can assist you in many ways and certain mechanics in the game's structure allow late starters to catch up with those that have come before.

In addition since we have a bunch of people established we can assist you with items, cash, knowledge, and otherways to make the early levels fly by. Need to do a dungeon? No problem one or two of us can take you through the dungeon in record time saving you the hassle of finding a group or having to join a random group which is almost always a painful expierience.

While the guild will bend over backward to help with anything you need we generally won't just let you follow in our wake. While we want everyone to succeed, have fun, and level quickly, we also want them to experience enough of the game early on to learn how to play their character effectively. Too many folks out there make it a free ride for their chosen friends and then whe the friend gets up to where he or she needs to carry his or her own weight they can't because they have no idea what they are doing. I think Knights Affairs does a good job of this. The folks in the second group are rapidly catching up to the first group.

Also most of us have alternate characters of various levels that will be able to assist you at the appropriate times. With all that said, I encourage you to give WoW a try and look forward to gaming with you.

11. Violet1966

Violet1966 Stand and Deliver Staff Member

I bought the game yesterday and am awaiting it's arrival. Can't wait to play :)

12. Brazbit

Can't wait to have you join us. Soon you too shall become a slave to the... err you too shall enjoy the game. Looking forward to it.

Jimeez now you have no excuse, you will have a fellow guild member and friend to game with starting at roughly the same time. Execute order 66.

13. jimeez

jimeez Thread Killer

Decisions decisions.....

The only thing stopping me now is my fear of the addiction. When I played UO, I was playing 6-7 hours a day...during the work week. 12 hours a day on the weekends sometimes. But I am a bit older (and hopefully wiser) now. I am guessing I can practice some discipline and restrict myself to a few hours a day. ;)

Thanks for the info, advice, and kind offers. Perhaps I'll see you all soon....in-game.

14. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

You are looking at a former UO addict. Started out when we all logged in to Atlantic and the lag was so bad no one moved. ;)

Times have changed though. While WoW CAN be addictive, I don't feel playing WoW as much as I felt with UO--MUST get GM Blacksmithing...

15. jimeez

jimeez Thread Killer

Yeah, tell me about it. GM this, GM that. Mine this, mine that...smelt...trip to bank, etc.. The toughest skill for me to GM was parry by far. Early on, I was paying $110.00/month for ISDN (before broadband was available in my area) just to try to help with the LAG. grrr!

I see WoW is $49.99. Anyone know of any better deals out there?

16. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

39.00 at Amazon.

17. Copzilla

Copzilla dangerous animal Staff Member

This is a good point, deserves repeating. While people may send you gear - like I got some GREAT pouches that have come in VERY handy - overall, you've got to carve your own path, and not be too buffed by all the gear people may hand you. If it's too easy for you to kill everything at lower levels, you don't learn to maximize your character's strengths.

Example - One of the first group runs I made was with our alpha team. Geez, it didn't matter what I did, I was pretty much immune. They were serious blocking dummies for me. Next time I joined a group my own level, I wasn't in tune with my real group role - healing. So I was trying to use offensive shadow spells, and learned real fast that the entire mob would charge me - JUST me, and my mana would deplete from offensive spells and I couldn't help anyone. So I started laying back, using my wand to blast the mob on offense just to stay busy, and saving mana for healing only. That was the ticket. The entire party became that much tougher, and we could basically do no wrong. We surged through the Wailing Caverns like they were butter, and that's a pretty nasty locale.

But you don't learn this if you're piggybacking the big daddies.

18. Andy

Andy ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

You have snatched the pebble from the hand, grasshopper... :thumbsup:

19. Copzilla

Copzilla dangerous animal Staff Member

Dude, I made L28 last night. I'll be there with you alpha gang pretty soon. I think the only thing I may ask the guild to help me with is mount money, because it's like 40G, and I have like 10G now. I'm sure I can rack up more over time, but whether I'll make all 40 in 12 more levels is uncertain.

20. Brazbit

It is a bit more than 40G and the mount is useless without training which is aan additional 20G. I think we can help you out when the time comes.