1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

[WoW] Aggro Management

Discussion in 'MMORPG' started by SixofNine, Aug 10, 2005.

1. SixofNine

SixofNine Jedi Sage Staff Member

There are a few web sites for priests and other healers that I peruse for pointers . One of my faves is wowhealers.com, and I just noticed this article called "Aggro Management."

It has a lot of good information beyond healing tips, such as info on roles in a group, tanking, a role called the "main assist," assisting in general, and other finer points of aggro geared mostly toward grouping:

http://www.wowhealers.com/content/view/200/50/

Some good stuff for all group members, such as:
    and:

and:

Good stuff.

Brian

2. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

The above should be digested and memorized!

3. Andy

Andy ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

You mean *cough* cloth wearers *cough* aren't supposed to shout "LEEEEROOOYY!!" and charge head long off on thier own? :lol:

Seriously... Good advice all around.

I learned about this the hard way... By getting slapped around by Connavar in The Stockades and later in BFD, because on my NE Druid, I was drawing all the aggro of 4-5 mobs when I would cast faerie fire on just one them or toss a heal on someone before all mobs were fully aggroed onto the tank.

It was a good learning experience though.

Especially when I was the only one who was trecking back from the graveyard outside Stormwind.:thumbsup:

Seems to me that mobs will go after the squishy healer first if no aggro has been started against them, right?

Like the other night in WC when you all hugged close to that cliff when we were trying to get back to the sleeping Druid, and I went wide/up the hill all the way.

Even though I was in front and had just tossed a fire totem and frostshock on the biggest one, all those raptors ran right down toward you guys below.

Was pretty interesting for a few minutes.:nut:

4. SixofNine

Good question. It might have had something to do with that calculation of distance from which a mob will attack based on the difference in level between the mob and the player. In other words, I made a good target because of my relatively low level.

Brian

5. SixofNine

Now there's something I didn't know. Apparently "assisted attacks" generate less threat then direct attacks. In other words, instead of targeting a teammate's target directly, target your teammate and assist him/her by hitting the 'f' key or clicking on an "assist target" macro button if you put that together. According to the authors, this will reduce the chance that you will get higher on the mob's hate list than the teammate you are assisting.

I was doing this most of the time anyway, but not because I knew of this nuance about threat. In an instance when things are going hot and heavy, it's a lot easier to find each of you by hitting the F2 through F5 keys and then hitting the 'f' or Tab keys to switch to your targets.

I like this whole concept of the Main Assist role, too, though I'm sure there will always be times when all hell breaks loose and it's our armor, health, and mana against theirs. This whole "assisted attack" concept is the core of the recommended style of group play. If I read this document correctly:

1. Somebody (doesn't have to be the Tank) pulls.

2. The Tank gets some hits on this primary target to get to the top of its hate list, and then cycles through any other mobs to draw aggro on all of them. NOBODY else in the party is supposed to tap these other mobs (though I can see that being difficult in practice).

3. The Main Assist assists the Tank on the primary target.

3a. If the Main Assist is a warrior or a bear, it's not as much of an issue if he/she draws aggro on the primary target away from the Tank. In these cases the Tank can focus on keeping the other mobs occupied.

3b. Good Main Assists: warriors, bears, rogues, and melee shamans.

4. The other players assist the Main Assist on the primary target (in other words, only the Main Assist assists the Tank directly).

4a. Don't crowd the Tank or the mobs -- you can stay in melee range while positioning yourselves a yard or two apart. The Tank will have an easier time seeing which mob is on which player.

5. In the context of steps 1 through 4, only the Main Assist and the primary healer are at high risk of drawing aggro, and the healer can focus on his primary healing target, the Tank.

6. Repeat cycle with other mobs once primary target is dead.

Is that how you read it? Of course, this only works where there's space to maneuver. I can't see following this technique in, say, a crowded room in the Stockades, but it probably would have been workable in most locations in Ragefire and WC.

Brian

6. Andy

Andy ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Hear Hear!

I can't tell you how many times (not just here, but in WoW experience as a whole) I've gone to take on the 2nd mob in a bunch only to be right-clicking through party members to finally get the mob.
    Sure I can tab on them, but that won't start me swinging/attacking :)

If I am going up to a mess that a tank is fighting, I usually try to go around the far side so..
    a. I can see and get starting whacking away
    b. THEY can see and not click on me.
    Not run right up and occupy the same space as the tank, or worse.. get in front of them :nut:

You have a range where you can swing and connect, and it is a lot larger than you realize.

7. Lacivious

Lacivious Newb User

omg

been playing since the beta and never knew that.

thanks for the tip :)

on doomhammer, i was always the tank so i guess i never needed it.

8. SixofNine

Some good stuff on off-tanking, too (some good stuff in this entire article, now that I have read it from beginning to end). See Part 4, section 13 for the details.

The reason I mention this role explicitly (he said selfishly :) ) is that the off-tank's part-time role is to grab aggro on a single mob, usually to save a squishy cloth class (like me :) ) or to relieve pressure on the MT.

The Main Assist might or might not be the off-tank.

Brian