1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wounded Warrior "Charity"

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by SixofNine, Mar 11, 2016.

1. SixofNine

SixofNine Jedi Sage Staff Member

This is the outfit that has stars such as Bruce Willis ask you to donate $20 per month on TV commercials.

"... CBS News found Wounded Warrior Project spends 40 to 50 percent on overhead, including extravagant parties. Other veterans charities have overhead costs of 10 to 15 percent."

Wounded Warrior Project execs fired

2. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Lovely. I want to start a transparent charity company so people will gain trust in helping people. I would not add one dollar to anything I get.

3. Allene

Allene Registered User

I heard about that. I'm disgusted!

4. Arc

Arc Full Member

I can't imagine a single person that watched TV on anything approaching a regular basis not know what the organization "Wounded Warriors" is. Trace Adkins is their main TV spokesperson. ( A long-time supporter of vets.) Others like Willis, Gary Sinise, Bill O'Reilly, Costas, Trump and many others have acted on behalf of Wounded Warriors.

Now we know that the actual organization is in part a sham given how they spend half the money on funs stuff for staff far exceeding normal charitable organization overhead.

Nevertheless, it's certainly reasonable to assume the 25 plus celebrity spokespeople asking the public to support Wounded Warriors knew of or are condone the problem.

5. rockotman

rockotman Blown on the steel breeze

My employer holds several "Wounded Warrior" fund raising activities every year. I wonder if this will change in light of the recent revelations.

6. MemphisMark

MemphisMark Old School Conservative

Add in the fact that they aggressively sued any other veterans aid agency that had a logo similar to theirs...

This puts agencies like the one I work for in a bad light. We scrimp and do without administratively so our veterans have what they need.

Hell, I was asked to make a presentation video of various news clips and our commercials. I had to use my personal machine and software because I couldn't justify the $150 or so for company expenses because it would be used once a year or less, while I do things like that fairly regularly.

ShinyTop likes this.