1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Would you get your DNA tested to find out if you could get a disease?

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by Techie2000, Dec 5, 2002.

1. Techie2000

Techie2000 The crowd would sing:

Would you rather know, or rather get sick and find out later? If it could be fixed with gene therapy would you undego that?

2. RRedline

RRedline Veteran MMember

Of course I would do it! Who wouldn't? It is better to prevent something than it is to treat it.

3. Coot

Coot Passed Away January 7, 2010

Nope, not ever...at least until I could be 110% absolutely certain that none of my DNA information could possibly find its way into an insurance company database.

4. mikeky

mikeky Member

I agree with you there. I would also want a relatively high degree of accuracy in the testing results.

5. ShinyTop

ShinyTop I know what is right or wrong!

I think you could set up a number system where your name is never connected to your DNA results. Would have to be free or cheap enough where people would not have to use cash or credit cards.

6. joseftu

joseftu ORIGINAL Pomp-Dumpster

I would agree that anonymity and accuracy would be important. I think it would also depend on the disease and the possibility of treatment.
    If you're offering the gene therapy, too, if I could find out ahead of time that the disease was coming, and then get a treatment to prevent it...that would be great!
    I have a disease, ankylosing spondylitis, that is not curable or preventable. It's treatable, to an extent, but if I had known it was coming before I developed symptoms, it wouldn't have made a damn bit of difference.