1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Would you be a juror in this case?

Discussion in 'Society and Culture' started by ethics, Aug 21, 2014.

1. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

2. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

Call your boss, you're on the jury. The defense lawyer wants you on the jury. The plaintiff lawyer is concerned about you, but is hoping for the best, and saving strikes to use on your more problematic peers. Welcome to the jury!

3. Allene

Allene Registered User

The defense lawyer loves you, and is very excited to have – wait, the plaintiff lawyer just struck you. Please take your belongings and report to the main jury room, so you can wait to go through this all over again on another case.

ethics likes this.
  4. Copzilla

Copzilla dangerous animal Staff Member

Same, defense likes me, but I'm on the jury.

ethics likes this.
  5. tke711

tke711 Oink Oink Staff Member

You're off the hook.

The defense lawyer loves you, and is very excited to have – wait, the plaintiff lawyer just struck you. Please take your belongings and report to the main jury room, so you can wait to go through this all over again on another case.

ethics likes this.
  6. Andy

Andy ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Off da hook

7. Greg

Greg Full Member

Every time I get summoned for jury duty I spend hours sitting in a boring waiting room, and then during voir dire I'm asked my occupation: I say 'engineer.' Then one or the other side strikes me off the case. I presume they want people who can be swayed by emotion and not one of those who reason things out logically, which is of course what engineers do for a living.

It always turns out to be a colossal waste of time for me. I never get picked to serve on a jury so jury duty to me means a whole waste of time sitting in a boring room, punctuated by brief visits to a courtroom where I always get thrown off the jury.

And worse, I have a courthouse 3 miles from home, but they always want me to get in with the rest of the commuter rush into the San Fernando Valley (next valley over via I-5) to a courthouse 20 miles away. And they say that juror inconvenience is no excuse to be changed to a different courthouse.

I did an end run this year. I got my doctor to sign and get me off for medical reasons. Yes, it was bullshit, but it worked..... For a year. I'll worry about next year's summons next year.

I would have served without any complaint if they had just reassigned me to the nearest courthouse. It was the hour commute that pissed me off enough to wiggle my way out. (That's one hour each way.) It would take me about 10 minutes to get to the local courthouse, even during rush hour.

8. Sierra Mike

Sierra Mike The Dude Abides Staff Member

You're off the hook.The defense lawyer loves you, and is very excited to have – wait, the plaintiff lawyer just struck you. Please take your belongings and report to the main jury room, so you can wait to go through this all over again on another case.

ethics likes this.
  9. Allene

Allene Registered User

LOL! The main jury room is getting a tad crowded.

ethics likes this.
  10. Greg

Greg Full Member

In Los Angeles they treat jurors like cattle. It's no wonder that everybody who can get out of it does so.

11. cmhbob

cmhbob Did...did I do that? Staff Member

Call your boss, you're on the jury. Neither side has significant concerns about you. It's time to break the news to your boss. Welcome to the jury!

Never served on petit jury, only grand, and only once.