1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Would one of you gentlemen explain?

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by cdw, Jan 31, 2003.

1. cdw

cdw Ahhhh...the good life.

There is talk tonight on the TV of the US using nuclear weapons in Iraq.
    Can you please explain to me what they are talking about?
    Are these "weapons" the same as the bombs dropped in Japan?
    Or are they some sort of more controlled version, if there is such a thing?
    What about the N Korean weapons they are threatening to build or are already building?
    Thanks, I appreciate you talking the time.

2. Sierra Mike

Sierra Mike The Dude Abides Staff Member

I've never heard of nukes being introduced into the battle space. Maybe tactical nuclear weapons, should Saddam use WMD against invading US troops, which has always been part of US military doctrine, but only as a response.

SM

3. cdw

Now remember who you are talking to Steve... the little country bumpkin.
    :)

What exactly is a "tactical nuclear weapon" ? Is that a smaller version or something?

What are they talking about when they talk about N Korea? Are they building THE bomb?

Please, pardon my ignorance... I'm serious and I really do thank you for taking the time.

4. Sierra Mike

Sierra Mike The Dude Abides Staff Member

No problem...

A tacnuke is a small yield weapon with relatively "constrained" effects; a blast radius of a thousand feet as opposed to a mile. Depends on the weapon being used, of course. And the fallout if much less, since these are generally "clean" weapons, with a lower blast signature (when compared to a MIRV in an ICBM).

The DPRK is trying to build weapons that can be used against Japanese cities via missile. So yes, they are building THE bomb.

SM

5. cdw

English please.

And thank you, you are a wonderful human being! :)

Now that we supposedly have pictures of NK transporting the rods or cylinders (or what ever it is you call it) which supposedly will enable them to make 7 nuclear bombs, can you explain to me once again why we shouldn't be taking that to heart?

And one other thing.... Why is it always us that has to make the first move and all the heat? Why do we have to worry if we can handle Afghanistan, Iraq and NK all at the same time? Why isn't anyone else standing up and handling one of the situations?

6. rowd

rowd Spark Maker

7. Frodo Lives

Frodo Lives to hit it!

I heard tell of the possible use of bunker busting nukes on FOX. I can't remember exactly however.

8. cdw

Thank you Rowd... read I shall.
    If I have any questions, I'll be back. :)

9. cdw

Holy shit.

10. mikepd

mikepd Veteran Member

Cyd,

There are also RNEPs:

"The enhanced bombs, called "Robust Nuclear Earth Penetrators (RNEP)," would be used to destroy caches of weapons of mass destruction hidden deep inside hardened caves and bunkers. Like the conventional "bunker-busters" used in Afghanistan against cave-hidden Taliban and al Qaeda weapons and personnel, the Robust Nuclear Earth Penetrator bomb will not fully detonate until deep below ground. Unlike the explosives in the conventional bunker-buster, however, the RNEP's warhead will pack a nuclear punch.

While the Robust Nuclear Earth Penetrator is undeniably a nuclear weapon, Pentagon officials are quick to point out that it be designed to do its job without spreading radiation into the atmosphere, and that its development would comply with all nuclear arms reduction and test ban treaties."

You can do a Google search for more info on them. The full info from the above is here:

http://usgovinfo.about.com/library/weekly/aa083102a.htm

11. mikepd

mikepd Veteran Member

It should be noted the Davy Crockett was obsoletted many years ago. However, who knows what we have in the way of arty pieces or the like.

12. cdw

13. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member