1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

World Cup Thread

Discussion in 'Society and Culture' started by ethics, Jun 11, 2010.

1. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Oh man, would love to hear how your experience was with the 3D theatre for a sporting event.

Thoughts on the rest of the way?

Brazil has it EASY up to the finals.

2. Brazbit

Brazbit Nah... It can't be.

The game we are going to in 3D is the final on July 11th. I will be sure to give a review.

My thoughts on the rest of the way have changed.

Brazil just lost to the Netherlands!

3. Brazbit

WOW! The end of the Uruguay/Ghana match was epic. Talk about your crazy endings. :clap:

4. ditch

ditch Downunder Member

Now there's a shock result! Brazil gets rubbed out.

5. Arc

Arc Full Member

Going into the quarters I thought the boys of Orange would likely beat Brazil but it easily could go the other way. I was confident Germany, the best team IMO, would be clearly better than Argentina.

The South American teams have been overrated for many years. Long on talent short on discipline and mental toughness.

6. SixofNine

SixofNine Jedi Sage Staff Member

Spain/Paraguay was another corker -- not as crazy as Uruguay and Ghana, but talk about rapid changes of fortune.

7. Brazbit

This tournament just adds further confirmation to the fact that I can't make predictions worth ****.

Attached Files:

8. ditch

ditch Downunder Member

You're not alone there Braz.

Germany winning 4-1n was a gobsmacker!

9. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Wasn't it 4-0?

10. ditch

ditch Downunder Member

Yes. Should have said 4-0.

11. ditch

ditch Downunder Member

12. Brazbit

Netherlands - Spain. Should be good. Can't wait until Sunday.

13. ditch

ditch Downunder Member

Yes, it will be a great sporting occasion. 4.30am Monday here! [​IMG]

14. SixofNine

The Netherlands made it to the semifinals of the 1998 World Cup (won by host country France). In the quarterfinals Dennis Bergkamp scored the winning goal against Argentina. Nothing like hearing it from one of the home country's announcers. :thumbsup:

15. Arc

Arc Full Member

In terms of having never won the cup Holland has probably produced year in and year out the best teams. They are probably the most powerful otherwise successful country in the game not to have won.

I thought the Germans would beat Spain, but I'm not at all surprised that Spain won. The game was competitive back and forth ebbs for about three quarters of the game but the Spaniards looked better in the last quarter. Germany had their chances but the Spanish goal was perfection. Spain played their game but surprisingly the German's did not. Instead of unleashing their offense they concentrated too much on defense and relied upon counter attacks. The times the Germans went on attack clearly demonstrated their potential lethality.

It sucks that the game is dominated by and winners and losers are defined with the most typical score being 0-0 at half and 1-0 at the end. Especially at the upper echelons or in the most important games.

I came up with a modification in the off side rule to increase scoring years ago. Actually sold the idea to some key people individually here in big time SC junior soccer. They liked the proposal but said that FIFA or whatever would never consider anything new, let alone what I proposed. But they actually gave it serious consideration and the more they thought about it the more they went from skeptical to convinced it was a good idea to try and could improve scoring without hurting the spirit of the game.

But people in general struggle with change and sport's officials for the most part with few exceptions--like the NFL are entrenched mentally.

16. ditch

ditch Downunder Member

I laughed so much listening to that I nearly choked on my toast and vegemite.

17. Brazbit

WOW. Fun game and a great 3D expierience. The tickets were worth it. Turned out each ticket came with $10 in concessions.

I will write up a proper review tomorrow. still have a Sounders game to go to tonight.

18. SixofNine

A tense match, not the most beautiful, but as Lalas said in the studio afterward, if it's an ugly game you want the best team to win, and the best team won.