1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

World Cup Thread

Discussion in 'Society and Culture' started by ethics, Jun 11, 2010.

1. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

I'll start off with mobile apps for iPhone and Android: http://savedelete.com/top-10-free-fifa-world-cup-2010-apps-for-your-android-and-iphone.html

Then, I will remind everyone that the first game is at 10AM EST TODAY. Don't care? Only want to chant, U-S-A? Well, then you will need to watch England vs. US tomorrow at 2:30PM EST.

England is a heavy favorite. Rooney is the player to watch in that game.

2. SixofNine

SixofNine Jedi Sage Staff Member

That's 2:30 PM EDT, Blackie. It's a night game in South Africa.

3. ethics

Wow, can't believe I typed AM! What the hell?

4. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

MOAR COFFEE!!!! :haha:

5. ethics

On it!

6. SixofNine

Argentina and Nigeria at 10:00 AM EDT on Saturday should be fun to watch, too. Argentina has the best player in the world (Messi), the weirdest coach (Maradona), and a bunch of other players who can score in Tevez (Manchester City), Higuain (Real Madrid), Milito (Inter), too many to have all of them on the field at the same time. :)

Nigeria is usually a pretty solid team.

7. ethics

World Cup started pretty badly for some Russian media - they got robbed and beat up. One of them got robbed in his hotel.

8. Brazbit

Brazbit Nah... It can't be.

Not a bad start for South Africa. A 1-1 draw with Mexico was a better result than I expected out of the host nation.

9. Brazbit

Brazbit Nah... It can't be.

Sadly they are but a few of the Many. Photographers look to be targeted right now.

I have very little faith in the South African security to prevent there being at least one major incident before this is all said and done.

10. ethics

Me neither. Never thought that place was a good idea. Neither is Sochi for 2012 Olympics.

11. Arc

Arc Full Member

I am really curious who I will root for in that game. I won't know until it starts. I worked and lived in England and was also there for a time before that. Spent several years there.

Every Saturday I during soccer season I went into London and watch a game. West Ham United was my favorite and I would go there if they were in town. Chelsea and Tottenham Hotspur were my secondary choices. West Ham had three of the the players on the team that won the World Cup in 1966. I saw that game. It was the one that ended with Geoff Hurst's third and winning goal hitting the crossbar and ricocheting straight down with it being virtually impossible to say what side of the goal line it landed on. But SOME ruling or call had to be made and the shot was called good and England beat West Germany. (The game was in England. I wonder if the ruling would have been the same by the same official if the game was in Germany?)

Just yesterday I read were modern technology showed that the ball struck such that it was not a goal.

I wonder how they determined that. I am aware of the marvelous technology that can and does show exactly where a tennis ball hits on the court for line calls but I've always assumed that is programed modern technology to record in advance and interpret. If so what was the technology they used to show what side of the goal line Hurst's shot landed?

12. ethics

13. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

Oh man.. That's cold.. :rofl:

14. ethics

Here's a great analysis on all of the WC teams: http://nplusonemag.com/world-cup-preview

I must admit, I started out reading just about teams I cared about but it was so good (and funny) that I ended up reading the whole thing. Here's a few samples:

But it's not just funny all the time. Here's an interesting nuanced tidbit on why Brazil ranks higher than most teams:

15. SixofNine

A good example of that is Brazil's Dani Alves. In the Barcelona games that I watched this past season on Gol TV he was in the attack so much that I thought he was a midfielder until one of the announcers mentioned that he's a fullback.

But that's his assignment for Barcelona, a back who attacks, sort of a soccer version of Bobby Orr. :D

16. ethics

No doubt. A very brave way to approach the game and... hell, Brazil does have the talented players to pull it off.

17. John R. Beanham

John R. Beanham Typical Aussie Male

I am bemused, I always thought that Americans knew nothing of, or cared less for, any sport but their BIG 4!

Not sure what the 'big 4' are, but they hold a 'World Series' for them every year, even though no other nation has any interest in them.

The USA will win the Soccer World Cup the day they BUY it! (which will be the year after Australia wins it)

;-)

John.

18. ethics

Yeah, I was about to say. When you beat Germany and not embarrass yourselves by being POUNDED by them, then talk. At least we are not supposed to win and no one expects it. ;)

19. SixofNine

Hey, the U.S. beat Spain in South Africa last year in that tournament that serves as a dry run for the World Cup.

John, soccer is incredibly popular in the U.S., but still much more so as a youth participation sport than as a lucrative spectator sport for adults. Whether soccer makes that leap to big money sport is still open to question, but the infrastructure is in place to produce players who can compete at the highest level.

There have always been pockets of interest. I grew up in a small industrial town full of lots of different immigrant groups, and there was a very healthy soccer league run by the city recreation department. My friends and I even played (in a much lower division :) ), and I played on my high school's very first soccer team in the mid-1960s.

You see some of that today. Some of the professional teams, with Seattle as the shining example, are wildly popular in their hometowns.

20. John R. Beanham

John R. Beanham Typical Aussie Male

Leon,

"When you beat Germany and not embarrass yourselves by being POUNDED by them, then talk. At least we are not supposed to win"

I was rather hoping that you would not mention that recent hic-up, but we were NEVER expected to beat them, but did hope for perhaps a 0-1 or 0-2 result, and the 0-4 will have the gallows or a guillotine awaiting the Coach and a couple of players on their return.

Soccer in Australia has a fanatical following, but is still a long way behind Australian Rules, Rugby, and Cricket.

John