1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Work Culture

Discussion in 'Society and Culture' started by Sierra Mike, Oct 2, 2014.

1. Sierra Mike

Sierra Mike The Dude Abides Staff Member

So, ever since the financial crisis, even the vaunted Fed has to stoop to dumb hijinks to avoid unwanted publicity and inspection. We no longer hire full time folks here in the dusty corners of IT, who previously had to be US citizens with clean records and impeccable credentials (I had the first two, but a long time of practical experience negated the third). Now, we hire consultants, most of which are from India or China, who aren't citizens, and who apparently can't pass background checks--three times, they've goose-stepped folks off the floor for stealing information and the like, and in one case with a Chinese, for outright espionage.

This has got to be going on in other organizations, too. I can't imagine the harm it's doing.

I find the Indians to be combative, underskilled and overconfident, and have a bad habit of always being on their phones--even while delivering a package in the restroom. As project managers, they're great at putting tasks in Microsoft Project, but they treat people like crap. The Chinese, almost entirely mainlanders, are incredibly task-specific. Ask them to do something else, or vary what they're doing, and they grind to a standstill. Or alternately, they walk the floor looking for someone to "help" them, i.e., do the job for them.

I'm sure all this saves a lot of money when it comes to benefits, but as a result, an extremely slow-moving institution has now been converted to an organization that moves with all the adroitness of a glacier in Greenland.

Now, almost none of the above really impacts me directly--I've been liberated by a greater, self-directed revenue stream, and I'm only here for the benefits. So I'm in an extreme minority of folks here who have no problem calling bullshit when I see it. Sometimes, the results are comical, since folks aren't used to that kind of pushback. What's really funny is when every now and then, they try to call me on the carpet by going to my boss. My response? "Hey, go ahead--start the termination process. I'd love to collect unemployment while rolling over my thrift plan into my better-performing SEP which doesn't consist of a bunch of dogshit funds." I may not be winning hearts and minds, but I find I can get out of stressful situations by just shrugging while saying, "Hey, fuck it."

Other folks aren't so lucky. I see a lot of desperation even here, which is a pretty insulated environment. How's it going elsewhere? People finding the culture of employment is way different from, say, 2004?

Andy likes this.
  2. Allene

Allene Registered User

Phew! You make me sooooooooooooooooo happy to be retired! My workplace must have been ahead of its time because hiring part-timers had become the norm rather than the exception by the time I left at the end of October 1999. They had been doing that since at least the mid-1990s.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2014
  3. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

I touched on this nearly 10 years ago here: http://www.globalaffairs.org/threads/now-isnt-this-a-kick-in-the-teeth.23604

What really chaps my hide about things like this is if you were to say anything, the clueless kiddies would swarm all over you, screaming that you're racist and how dare you think they shouldn't be helped. I have to wonder what goes through their mind when that IT job goes to a foreigner? Probably nothing much as they're too entrenched in their liberal thinking and most likely think that foreigners have just as much right to our jobs as a citizen does.

4. Sierra Mike

These aren't remote folks as referenced in the thread you linked to, these are folks who are here in meat space. They know their primary mission area, but that's about it. I guess that must be good enough, because their people skills certainly suck. Even worse than mine, and that's saying something.

5. Biker

Right, but those "remote folks" from 10 years ago are those who are taking the jobs here now.

6. Sierra Mike

The people who are here now are fresh out of university. It's true, they could have been holding a support job in Mumbai at 13 years of age, but I'm not going to leap to that conclusion.

7. Biker

No no no no. That support thing was from Zed. The original post was complaining about the folks from India swarming the Linux forums asking questions on how the OS works and how to do things in it.

8. Sierra Mike

Yeah, okay. In that case, I guess these COULD be dudes from back then. :D

Would've thought they'd have wound up a bit more well-rounded, though.

9. SixofNine

SixofNine Jedi Sage Staff Member

Good news here. I work for a large consulting firm that not only measures how well you perform assigned tasks, but also what kind of impact you have on colleagues (bye bye, combative, underskilled and overconfident employees) and how well you do things beyond your assigned tasks to benefit the firm (bye bye, incredibly task-specific employees).

We have offices in India that organizationally are part of our U.S. firm, separate and distinct from the India practice, and based on my interactions with them they are light years beyond the stereotypical off-shored operation.

10. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Stephen, it's about the same in the private sector.

BofA had a surge of hiring cheap labor from India. At one point I came in and it was an entire floor (which occupies an entire city block) of Indians. Chinese are the new Indians but the old Indians still shit the bed.

Here's what I am going to say about ethnicities, it's NOT about the fact that they are Indian, or Chinese, it's about culture. Indians who came here in the 70's and early 80's got the culture, awesome, hard working folk who get it. After the Globalization craze by the Lefties (and the GOP) THOSE cultures were shit. Lazy motherfuckers who think they are owed.

Anyway, as for my company? They started outsourcing IT to a consulting firm (CapCo). I wasn't part of that "upgrade" but who knows if the company continues not to make ENOUGH money (CEO got 45 mill though). You should see the talent pool coming out of CapCo. It's hilarious.

Before, I used to think I'll always have a job because competition is utter shit. Today? I am realizing that the US companies don't want quality anymore. They want shit labor that can just get by.

11. ShinyTop

ShinyTop I know what is right or wrong!

I was let go doing IT support for a division of GE in 2002. I was able to get a chuckle a couple months later when an IT issue kept one of my plants down for three weeks. It was the king of thing I would take care of in couple hours. Of course I could not be hired back even on a part time consulting basis for a year by the rules. The lost time would have paid my salary for several years.

Forgot to say the IT support was outsourced to India.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2014
  12. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

13. Sierra Mike

I can't wait for my job to be automated!

14. Allene

Allene Registered User

Very interesting article. Thanks for posting it, Leon.

ethics likes this.
  15. Greg

Greg Full Member

Sounds about right to me. Chinese task specific, throw something new at them and they act like an automaton gone off the tracks. Indians more BS than knowledge. I was senior to all of them in the organization so I didn't get any back talk.

These days I have it made in the shade, work all day every day on whatever I want whether it makes me money or not. I reached the point where my life expectancy is less than my money expectancy. :)

Funny thing, I'm doing some IT work for an Indian guy (in India) just for amusement. He's running an image hosting service and doesn't have any significant IT skills, although he doesn't claim to. His server--dedicated, running Centos--is leaking HDD space and he can't figure out where it's going. So far I haven't either. :)

I'm having a pretty good time in retirement. My real business takes only a few hours a week (phone calls, emails, writing checks, record keeping) and leaves 95% of my waking hours to do whatever I want. Heh, and I thought retirement would be boring. :)