1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Won't we all die, anyway?

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by btdude, Dec 13, 2002.

1. btdude

btdude Veteran Member

This headline scares me to death

As I read it, I wondered how long it will be before we are all ordered to take the vaccine. I have read about the virus, I have seen the effects of it, and the effects of the (side effects) vaccine, itself.

I think Shiny posted a thread somewhere about this, and I am sorry for repeating it here. It just seems to me, as morbid as it sounds, that if something as catastrophic as infecting an entire continent is going to happen, would I rather not be dead, anyway? Would I not want those whom I care about most, to suffer as little as possible?

I don't know, I guess right now, I just think that trying to make us all live forever, or as invinceable (sp) as we can possibly be, is a moot point, if someone, anyone drops a bomb, delivers anthrax, or does other major harm that will wipe us all out anyway. Just a venting. Where are we headed?

2. Coot

Coot Passed Away January 7, 2010

A bit hysterical No? All of us oldsters here have had the vaccination once and we're just fine. As it wears off after 20 years, we're no longer immune and would have to take it again. Side effects are for sure far less than the actual disease.

3. tke711

tke711 Oink Oink Staff Member

Considering the fact that the Small Pox vaccine was required up until 1972 when it was eradicated, I don't think it's that big of a deal to make it optional now.

For some strange reason, Small Pox, Anthrax, and other diseases just don't worry me too much. Some may call me naive or overly optimistic, but I just tend to not worry about that which I can't control.

I agree with you BT though, that we are all going to die anyway. Life is finite. Maybe that's why these things just don't worry me too much. Don't get me wrong, I'm in no hurry to leave this earth, but eventually I will. It's inevitable. I just choose to worry about the things that I can control.

My $0.02 for the day. :)

4. Steve

Steve Is that it, then?

The higher estimate of two people out of a million dying from the vaccination translates into approximately 500 people in the U.S. dying from it, assuming the entire census is inoculated.

Compare that to the hundreds of thousands guaranteed to die during an epidemic outbreak.

5. ShinyTop

ShinyTop I know what is right or wrong!

I received it both as a child and again several times in the Army during 26 years of service. I will not hesitate to take it again.

6. jamming

jamming Banned

I believe we will not be ordered to take the vaccine, as civilians.

7. wapu

wapu Veteran Member

I am more scared of the West Nile Virus and the mysterious mosquito that does a fly-by of my monitor everynight than I am of small pox or Anthrax.

wapu

8. jamming

jamming Banned

Damn Wapu is onto the Monkey Dengu Virus Mosquito, I sent him for Christmas, time to go to Plan C. ;)

9. wapu

wapu Veteran Member

Thanks for that.:) They found dead crows up here with the virus. I wonder how they determine which crows to test?

wapu

10. jamming

jamming Banned

They look for Dead Crows, two feet in the air and laying on their little crow backs. Oh and they don't move unless you push or throw them. ;)

11. mikepd

mikepd Veteran Member

I'm not afraid of no damn mosquitoes. I say get one of those AC-130s and have at them! ;)

Considering the vaccinations and boosters I had as a child, it's a wonder I'm still here. If offered might as well do it again. I get a flu shot (yes, I know it's dead material-still feel like hell two weeks later) and a pneumonia shot every 5 years. Why not this? Better safe than uh-oh.

12. wapu

wapu Veteran Member

LMAO Jamming!

wapu

13. midranger4

midranger4 Banned

mosquitos = mobile hypodermic needles

I hate them as I have always had allergic reactions to their bites.

I gain great satisfaction every time I whack one of those flying typhoid Mary's.

14. jamming

jamming Banned

I admire you mikepd, using an AC-130 verses a Florida Mosquito is like having a fair fight.:thumbsup:

15. Sierra Mike

Sierra Mike The Dude Abides Staff Member

Hey, anything in the name of self-defense!

SM

16. ShinyTop

Why do we not protect mosquitos as another animal? That's one of the things that puzzled me about animal lovers. They do draw distinctions, now, don't they?

17. jamming

jamming Banned

Mosquito = Insect
    Insect not= Animal

OK?

18. ShinyTop

No. The respect for animals is because they occupy the planet also. And I don't want to hear about mosquitoes killing people. Activists don't want you killing a bear or alligator coming at you. If it's respect of life I don't think they should rule our mosquitoes.

19. midranger4

midranger4 Banned

Mosquitos are a plague upon mankind and need to be utterly destroyed. I hate them, I hate them, I hate them !

Viruses and bacteria are living organisms as well, shall we protect them as well ;)

20. jamming

jamming Banned

Bah! Shiny Crazy, make Jamming talk like Cro-Magnon from beating head against Shiny's Wall of refusal. ;)