1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Women's Only Health Club

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by ethics, May 21, 2003.

1. Copzilla

Copzilla dangerous animal Staff Member

Well, you know, everyone "oppressed" is running around screwing me over and telling me how good I've got it. And you know, I do have it pretty damned good, but everything I have I got by earning it, not by someone giving it to me in order to make amends for some perceived injustice.

If someone can actually beat me in a test score, then more power to them. If someone makes more contributions to the employer, great! I understand. But if someone is handed something over me because of "equal rights", then that term is a LIE, because there's nothing EQUAL about it.

2. melpomene

melpomene Banned

Are you aiming this post at me?

*shrugs*

Sorry to hear of your woes. I just dont have the fight in me, no wait, i cant be bothered to argue in this thread anymore. I am just too stunned.

3. ShinyTop

ShinyTop I know what is right or wrong!

By what Mel? What has stunned you?

4. Coriolis

Coriolis Bob's your uncle

This thread has gone so far off topic, perhaps this last bit should be split?

Anyway, there's a big point to this that is often missed, I think. Perhaps one of the reasons you have everything you've fought for (referring to: "but everything I have I got by earning it") is because you've had the opportunities earlier in life to get what you've worked so hard for. Such opportunities have not traditionally been available to minorities, and to a certain extent, women. In fact, they might have had to work several times as hard to get to the same point as a you -- this is <i>before</i> they even apply for the same job you are applying for. I understand that, in a perfect world, equality shouldn't start at hiring, it needs to start well before that. However, one approach to the problem is to grant opportunity to those who have potentially had a tougher time getting to the same point, which in turn gives their kids opportunities not previously available, and ultimately puts a higher social profile on those previously held back.

5. cdw

cdw Ahhhh...the good life.

I agree, it should be split. It's taking to long to load it and now has nothing to do with the title of the thread.

6. Copzilla

See? Another person telling me I have a silver spoon in my mouth.

MAYBE that's NOT why I have everything I have. Maybe I worked my ass off for it. Maybe I joined the Army, saved money, afterwards worked at a pizza joint and paid my own way through the college police academy, worked as a volunteer officer and then finally got a paid job while women and minorities who tested lower than me were being hired by employers looking to satisfy EEOC.

And maybe I would be MUCH better off with the same work I've done if I had only been black or female enough to be noticed. Hell, I'd probably be in freakin' congress.

The very fact that you jumped to that conclusion, that I had a silver spoon in my mouth, illustrates the white male fallacy. You didn't know my history, but you believe I had more opportunity. WRONG.

7. Coriolis

Coriolis Bob's your uncle

Don't take it so personal, Copz. I only used your post as an example. Sorry I didn't state that I wasn't referring to YOU specifically, but I can see how you interpreted it that way -- clearly, I have no idea what your history is, and this is a hot button topic for you. I should have been more careful. But I think if you could look at it in a more general, objective way, it might make more sense. If that's possible, but perhaps it's not.

8. Copzilla

But regardless of looking at it in a case by case or in an abstract method, it's still acceptable to discriminate against me, me specifically, as an individual. It happens all the time, and the way it's justified is the generic, nonspecific reason you gave.

It's just wrong.

(No hard feelings, Cor, we're okay! It's a good discussion, no? ;) The good ones are the ones that people have passionate feelings about.)

9. Copzilla

Oh, and I don't think we've strayed off topic, really, because the whole topic of gender specific health clubs was one of discrimination. Why shouldn't what is good for the goose be good for the gander? I'm just defending my white male position, and clearing up a few previously stated notions from my position.

10. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

With your permission, I'd like to move the equality posts (recent ones) over to <a href="http://www.globalaffairs.org/forum/showthread.php?postid=112240#post112240">this thread</a>.

11. Misu

Misu Hey, I saw that.

I should go back to my post and delete it, because Cor put in much more eloquent terms exactly what I was trying to say, in my own way. In case anyone misunderstands what I was saying, the above is exactly what I was trying to say, as it's how I feel regarding this.

edit: and after seeing Copz reaction - I'm not saying white men are born with a silver spoon in their mouths, either.