1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Women's Only Health Club

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by ethics, May 21, 2003.

1. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Wisconsin governor Jim Doyle has signed a bill that would allow health clubs to discriminate against men and allow only women to join. The act, a reaction to a lawsuit filed against one of these clubs, legalizes the existing practice of Curves for Women, a women-only health club with hundreds of locations in Wisconsin.

Women say that Curves fills an important need, because they strongly dislike working out in front of men. 'It's just a lot more comfortable in here knowing that I don't have to worry about some guy hitting on me,' said Curves member Kellie Davis. 'I'm getting too old to put on Spandex.' Doyle said signing the bill would promote the health of women, in a state that once held the title of fattest state in the union. '

<a href="http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20030520/ap_on_el_st_lo/wisconsin_gyms_2">full story here.</a>

You know, I feel comfortable with no Muslims in my train, I have an idea.

2. Stiofan

Stiofan Master Po

I wonder what NOW thinks of this. I always say, be careful of what you wish for, as you may end up getting it.

3. ethics

Forget NOW, this IS discrimination, folks, and I love how the Government is promoting this. Like I said, comfort is not a reason to break rights.

A hundred years ago, white men were at comfort without having any blacks to make them feel uneasy at private establishments. Less than 70 years ago, men felt more comfrotable without women voting.

4. cdw

cdw Ahhhh...the good life.

OH NO!!! NO, not a MEN'S golf course!!!
    for god's sakes. What is the big deal? We're talking about allowing a business to have the choice to be co-ed or not. I belonged to a women's only club for a couple of years. It was great. No men bothering you, bothering your friend. It was a relaxed atmosphere that women just went and sweat it out.
    What is the big deal??

5. ethics

The big deal is because there are double standards, Cyd. I'd be all for a woman's only club if there were such thing as a place where men can hang out? Like Hooters perhaps?

6. cdw

Yes and we're all more on an even keel these days and we aren't going back to the old days. We should be swinging back to where it really doesn't matter much anymore because there is a BALANCE. There didn't used to be one and unfortunately, the pendulum had to swing waaaay the other way to counteract it.
    Perhaps we've finally gotten it together enough that we can have co-ed, female only and male only kind of exercising. Maybe after that we can have smoking and then non-smoking restaurants with those that also have both in seperate rooms.

Gimme a break. If i want to sweat and exercise and be with other women, so what? Get your own gym.

7. cdw

Eithics, you can have all the Hooters ya want. If there aren't male only clubs, then there should be. You guys gotta start fighting for yourselves.... no one else is going to do it for ya.

Edit: by the way... you aren't gonna get the hooters without the women, so perhaps you could pick something out that doesn't include women to make your point? Ya know, get your head out of the boobs and crotches? Might help your cause, lol. You just made the woman's point...she'd like to exercise in peace.

8. Sharondippity

Sharondippity Sweetness and Light

Ha ha true only cross dressers allowed, nah I don't think he meant that.

What would you suggest, ethics, that the solution be for women? How would you see a facility ensure that men don't misuse the purpose of the gym?

What can be done so that women aren't subject to the actions of overbearing men?

I cannot imagine that men would have the same problem, so, there is an existing disparity.

The previous issues regarding race didn't involve sexual harrassment, so that is an unfair comparison.

What about a woman's right to not be sexually harassed? How to deal with that effectively in the public?

9. Violet1966

Violet1966 Stand and Deliver Staff Member

We have Curves here and we have other fitness centers that are unisex. I have no problem with gender specific health clubs. If gender specific health clubs was all there was offered, I would have a problem with it though. Seeing as they are one choice of many, it's all good. I kinda look at it from a medical view. Health clubs are even covered under medical insurances these days.

What legitimate reason should a male have for wanting to work out in a health club where women want to wear hardly any clothing and not feel like they are being watched by men? I don't look at this the way some people do...it seems medical to me. I would have no problem with an all male health club either.

10. ethics

Race? Hooters is hardly an issue of race, Sharon. And I find it quite hypocritic when a woman states, albeit indirectly, that women are such creatures of weakness that they can not work out in the presence of (*puts his hand on his forehead and faints*) males.

This just supports the view that opponents of this bill fear, that women are not equal.

11. Coriolis

Coriolis Bob's your uncle

Cyd and Sharon make a pretty valid points. The question to ask is: Do men <i>really</i> want a men's only athetic club? I somehow doubt it, but if they really did, and there was a compelling reason for it -- like not wanting to be leered at and harassed by gawking women -- then by all means, they should be allowed. This is really no more discriminating than not allowing men into womens locker rooms. Besides, there are plenty of co-ed athletic clubs to choose from, so there's no disadvantage to men in this case. I don't see the problem.

12. Stiofan

Stiofan Master Po

This is <b>exactly</b> my point about the NOW bunch. They brought this on with the insistance of doing away with men only clubs. Their tenuous argument that woman need access so they can gain the business cultivating benefits as men do, was and still is hogwash. Yet they pushed it for so long, that society changed and made the men only clubs feel like lepers. Now the "hen's" come home to roost, so to speak, and laws have to be passed to save them.

13. ethics

I don't think men are crazy enough to want the same thing in health clubs. Besides, a club with overweight women? Please, not for me. That's not the point here, however.

There are plenty of clubs social, or otherwise, that have been banned or opened up because of sexism. Appears it's ok if tables are reversed.

Let me know, folks, when you really want equality for women.

14. Stiofan

Stiofan Master Po

This is the problem. Whose interpretation of a compelling reason should society be forced to take. Mine? Yours? What if they differ? How about the reason that men just like to hang out with other men and talk about men things? A respite from the women in their lives, if you will. Good enough for you? Well, it hasn't been good enough for many of the feminists, hence the situation we are in now. Yet women's being uncomfortable with their body image around men is a valid reason (one I understand and agree with, personally).

15. Sharondippity

Sharondippity Sweetness and Light

Tsk tsk,

nothing of the sort was stated. The inference is all yours.

Luckily there are laws against sexual harassment , at least in the workplace, since attitudes like yours on the matter still exist.

Sexual harrassment is no laughing matter (*puts hand on ethics forehead so he can faint again*)

To belittle the problem with sexual harassment is a huge step backwards.

And whether we want equal rights or not is not hinged on this one incident as you would state.

Is it necessary to oversimplify or is it just to generate a reaction?

16. RRedline

RRedline Veteran MMember

The big deal is the double standard. Why is it okay for women to have a "women only" health club, but it is not okay for men to have a "men only" gold course? We need to pick a side on this issue and apply it equally to both genders, all races, etc.

Would it be okay to open a "whites only" health club? I know it sounds strange, but many white people are uncomfortable with blacks working out around them.

It sounds to me like women organizations cry foul when men exclude women from anything, but then they turn around and exclude men? Bleh!

17. RRedline

RRedline Veteran MMember

Instead of having separate gyms for women, I would suggest filing charges against men who harass women. And TRUST ME, if a guy harassed a woman at the gym I frequent, he would get his ass kicked. Most men will look out for women and protect them from harassment.

I very seriously hope that men join the WPGA tour and kick the shit out of the women golfers. Maybe then they will see how silly this gender nonsense really is. Or better yet, merge the two together and have only one tour for all golfers. I guarantee they will reverse their position.

18. wapu

wapu Veteran Member

If there really is no problem with this, then a club that does not allow gay men would be OK. If the problem is getting hit on or leered at, then do they prohibit lesbians in?

I am all for these clubs, but I see Ethics' point about the double standard we have regarding many things in our society. It goes in stages. The first is the minority woman, she can do no wrong, then comes the white woman who can do no wrong except to minority women, then comes the minority male, who is still a male pig, but is also a minority and can get away anything that does not offend woman. Finally we have the white male. The Devil. The scurge of the planet. Anything and everything that is wrong with society is somehow our fault. We are such vile creatures that woman can get laws passed to keep us out of their gym, but it is morally wrong and offensive to women if we might not want them intruding on our golf game? What a crock.

I hope this sets some sort of precident that will lead to the business person being allowed to run their business like they want to. You want to keep men out? Fine, just don't get mad at me for keeping woman, blacks, or gays out of mine.

19. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Passed Away Aug. 19, 2006

I have a solution.

1) Ban ALL athletic clubs. They allow people to waste time.

2) Close this thread, or change its name to, "Making a mountain out of a molehill."

:) :)

20. RRedline

RRedline Veteran MMember

OMG Wapu, you reminded me of a hilarious scene in <i>Will & Grace</i> where Will and Grace were trying to outdo each other with friends. You know, the woman card trumps the man card, the minority card trumps the gay card, the minority woman card trumps the minority man card, the minority lesbian card trumps the minority gay man card, etc. It was so funny AND so true. ;)