1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Woman who drove 2 miles through LA suburb with dying man on windshield guilty of murder, DUI

Discussion in 'Society and Culture' started by Allene, Feb 13, 2014.

1. Allene

Allene Registered User

This lady was a substance abuse counselor, driving with a blood alcohol level twice the legal limit, and this is what she had to say about her alcohol intake at the time:
    Three of those "tiny" bottles of vodka would definitely have made me drunk enough to have trouble getting to the door, let alone driving a car. Forget the beer. By then I'd have to be laid out horizontally. Hard to believe how she was helping other to not do what she was doing herself!

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2014/02/0...ng-man-on-windshield-guilty/?intcmp=obnetwork

2. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

I usually try to give people a benefit of the doubt here. There aren't any here in this case, however.

3. Allene

Allene Registered User

Agreed, I just couldn't see any way around that.

4. Copzilla

Copzilla dangerous animal Staff Member

I have a hard time even thinking about cases like this. On the occasion I get a chance to break down miserable assholes like this, I take great satisfaction in my job.

The world is permeated with people who thrive on the misery of others.

I think I have to come from a position of empathy up until the point of the person being nonredeemable.

Example, one time I investigated an accident where a kid on a bicycle rode out into traffic and was struck by a car. Totally the kid's fault. He died, right there, instantly. The lady in the car did nothing wrong in causing the accident; she did not kill this kid.

She panicked. She fled the scene.

Later she turned herself in. Guilt overcame her.

The media outrage and the public outrage was tremendous. Everyone wanted her locked up for life, exterminated, etc.

What she did wrong was panic. That deserves her being locked up for life? No, it deserves the punishment for hit and run, not for murder. She is redeemable. I feel empathy for her, to an extent, and respect that she turned herself in. I tended to defend her from the laymen who were saying to me that she needed to die for her crime.

Example two, I investigated a case where a 16 year old kid walked into a convenience store and shot a lady right between the eyes. He robbed her, she gave him the money, and he decided to kill the witness. Blammo.

Nice lady, I had known her for a few years, just making the night shift rounds. Amazingly, the bullet struck her glasses, partially opened and fragmented, and penetrated straight back between the hemispheres of her brain, damaging little. She permanently lost sight in one eye, but survived, and raised her two daughters. June was her name.

We caught the little bastard because he was bragging about it to his friends. When they saw the news, they realized he was telling the truth and they turned him in, not wanting to be party to such a horrible crime.

This little fuck got 50 years federal time. He has to do a minimum of 40 years before eligible for good time. As of right now, he is 25 years into the 40 minimum, and will be 41 years old. And fuck him. Had he not been stopped, he would have spread a path of misery so wide and deep it would have wrecked families across the state.

A person who can drive with another person stuck in their windshield is nonreedemable. Fuck her. Goodbye, and good riddance.

ethics likes this.
  5. Allene

Allene Registered User

Hard reading, Copz, but I agree. How do cops sleep, especially the ones exposed to the most violent deaths? I remember during my Boston years when I lived near a mom and pop grocery store. I'd stop there on the way home from work to pick up the newspaper and chat with the owner (an immigrant from Albania, but who could speak English). He was shot one night right through the store window just before closing. They came in and took his cashbox. Boston in the early 1970s was a hard place to live in. It took me forever to get over that murder. I'd make a terrible cop, I guess.

6. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

That's priceless stories, right there. People scoff at anecdotal experiences but I think they are truly gems.

7. Allene

Allene Registered User

Yes, that's true. The anecdotes put the focus where it belongs--on the victims, so we can't dehumanize them as just a few more crime statistics. That's what I meant by "hard reading."

8. Copzilla

Copzilla dangerous animal Staff Member

We don't. Insomnia is an epidemic in my profession, and I'm speaking literally. Every cop I know gripes about it.

9. Allene

Allene Registered User

I guess it's like being in a permanent state of PTSD. That's rough. When I think of cops and others like surgeons who have to deal with life and death situations all the time, I want to take a shovel and whack anybody who talks about income inequality. Some people deserve to be paid more than other people.