1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wisconsin? How is this NOT Racism?

Discussion in 'Society and Culture' started by ethics, Sep 13, 2011.

1. Kluge

Kluge Observing your world for over 50 years

I don't mean it is ok to be unfair, but we may have little choice.

2. Sierra Mike

Sierra Mike The Dude Abides Staff Member

In something like this? How do you figure?

And it appears that Asians are under different criteria as well. Isn't that odd.

SM

3. tke711

tke711 Oink Oink Staff Member

This entire topic can be answered for me with a simple question:

Would this practice be acceptable if it benefitted white kids at the expense of other races?

Of course, most of us would answer "no", that's racist. Well, racism by definition doesn't exclude any given race. So the policy is racist and should be condemned by all people.

4. Kluge

Kluge Observing your world for over 50 years

For me it's difficult to separate any of the absurd criteria for handing out money to otherwise marginal students.

I had high SAT scores that got me a small scholarship. In spite of a poor GPA and near zero extra curricular activities, being that I was told I couldn'rt go to college without a scholarship and didn't expect to get one.
    Some people get appointed to US military academies with the favor of an elected official. G.A.Custer not being the least famous among them, either.
    Some people get scholarships for speaking spanish. Spanish speaking people seem to get these more often than other groups.
    The thread is about black and hispanic people with lower test scores getting in because of their race, but it's not the only way to get in over your head.
    If the laws are too unfair they should be changed, but if you ask students what is too unfair, you will likely get a different answer each time depending on the workload and the relative scores of each student.