1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wisconsin? How is this NOT Racism?

Discussion in 'Society and Culture' started by ethics, Sep 13, 2011.

1. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Wow... African Americans and Hispanics admission was 576-to-1 and 504-to-1, over whites respectively http://bit.ly/rnoLmp ... Racism, by any other name.
    This is the biggest bullshit I've seen in America. My dad was denied admission in Soviet Union because he is a Jew. And now his grandkids MAY be denied because they are white? Over MORE STUPID entries for the spots?

WHAT the FUCK????

2. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

You just know the howls of outrage won't be forthcoming. According to the rabid left, it's perfectly fine.

3. Sierra Mike

Sierra Mike The Dude Abides Staff Member

For even posting a link here and further publicizing this story, you are obviously an Obama-hating racist bastard.

4. Copzilla

Copzilla dangerous animal Staff Member

You know, to me, the biggest problem is the lingering issues that will persist because of this injustice. How many *justified* racists are they leaving behind? The amount has to be staggering.

If I were a white student applying, had radically outscored and been passed over for a minority, I'd be absolutely blind with righteous rage at the injustice of it all.

They do not see any damage they're doing, and it is absolutely immense. It's simply beyond measuring. Do they not think the people they fucked over won't care, won't remember, won't exact their revenge at a later date, even if wrongly doing so?

5. Copzilla

By the way, here's their response.

It's totally jammed full of bullshit, buzzwords, "holistic" this and that, "diverse" this and that, and of course, they completely defend their actions and position. Doesn't analyze anything, just says in a nutshell "We are doing right, and that is that."

By the by, here's their director of Undergraduate Admissions -

http://photos.news.wisc.edu/photos/12122/view

6. Copzilla

Looking through it further, I see their student percentages.

They actually only have 1,264 blacks, out of 42,099 students. They have 1,522 Hispanics, 2,371 Asians, and 413 other stuff. Roughly 6k of the 42k students are minority.

They may have been stacking the deck, but it looks to me like they were desperately trying to allow minorities to attend, just in order to get some in the first place. It's definitely giving minorities a free ride, but it is masked in overwhelming percentages of white students.

7. Greg

Greg Full Member

What is the difference between "trying to allow minorities to attend" and racial quotas? I'd rather see ensuring that race is not a factor for admissions instead of having some sort of racial score card where you have to get some percent of an approved racial mix or otherwise you're on the shit list.

Back in the '60s we baby boomers supported civil rights, hoping that we could remove race as a factor of dealing with our fellow citizens. Now race has instead become part of a formula.

8. tke711

tke711 Oink Oink Staff Member

UW is a great school, but it is located in the People's Republic of Madison and everything that comes with that.

Admission policies for every race have been under controversy for years around here. Of course, they will just respond with demonstrations and sit-ins. The liberal way. :)

9. Sierra Mike

Sierra Mike The Dude Abides Staff Member

I hear the word "holistic" used in so many meetings I automatically believe the speaker is full of shit. It's one of those words that I think is almost always selected because it sounds cool, as opposed to what it might really mean. :)

Student percentages aside, what the Uni is doing is totally fucked up and wrong. And I mean that in the most holistic way possible.

SM

10. Stonehawk

Stonehawk AKA Jerry

Got to agree with Gregg, UW is a great school, but being in the great State of Madison, has its own values and diversity opinions. The truly sad part about much of this is:

- The people that gave this presentation used the exact methodolgy used for affirmative action programs in the past, including at the UW
    - They used the data that they had, which the University gave up very grudgingly
    - Affirmative action was meant to equal the playing field, and make sure that the makeup of the program reflected reality. Whether the people of the UW like to admit it or not, the state of Wisconsin really is predominantly white. Affirmative action nowadays is nothing by closet reverse racism at its finest

But, as anyone in Madison can tell you, it is not racist if it targets white people. I listened to one young African-American student screaming in the camera that they want her to feel inferior and that everyone looks at her like she is nothing on the street, but that NOW that she is a student at UW, everyone looks at her differently. Anyone see the logical black hole in that statement other than me?

Stay safe,

Jerry

11. Kluge

Kluge Observing your world for over 50 years

An in-state white had a 1 in 10 chance of admission.

So 10 whites applied and 1 was admitted.

The blacks chance of admission was 576 times better than the whites.

So 10 blacks applied and 576 were admitted.

The jet will not take off from the conveyor.

12. ethics

Of course! :)

13. Copzilla

Your numbers are ridiculous, and you don't understand probabilities.

Historically, whites with test scores of X were admitted once for every 576 blacks with the same test scores of X.

THAT is how the probability works.

14. mikeky

mikeky Member

So in total 655 blacks were admitted in 2007 and 2008 according to the report, so that means no more than 2 whites that might have had test scores or test rankings greater than those blacks were not admitted (which of course assumes that all 655 blacks had test scores less than those whites, which may or may not have been the case). And of course that discounts that other extracurricular activities might have been considered. From Wisconsin's own criteria for admission:

</h3>

And there underlies the problem when only considering the statistical output when dealing with populations that are vastly skewed in terms of total numbers, especially where things like the extracurricular can't be controlled for: the summary statistics can be presented to portray a radical case of discrimination, when the actual numbers show that is likely not the case.

Looking at it another way, my guess is the University of Wisconsin, with 20K+ students, could easily have accommodated 655 blacks without displacing any other students.

15. Biker

Seriously?

Now.. Please tell me again that there's no discrimination going on.

16. mikeky

mikeky Member

So how many total white students were excluded from admission because blacks were admitted?

Again: And there underlies the problem when only considering the statistical output when dealing with populations that are vastly skewed in terms of total numbers, especially where things like the extracurricular can't be controlled for: the summary statistics can be presented to portray a radical case of discrimination, when the actual numbers show that is likely not the case.

17. Biker

So, regardless of how the discrimination occurs, as long as it's reverse discrimination, it's perfectly fine?

I see. Seems my earlier statement was spot on.

18. mikeky

mikeky Member

Discrimination is not fine. I just don't think the analysis is technically sufficient to show that whites are being unfairly excluded to the advantage of blacks.

19. Kluge

Kluge Observing your world for over 50 years

My numbers are exactly what they quoted.
    Sailing champions from wealthy suburbs of DC with test scores of X were appointed to Annapolis once for every nnn kids from hippie creepy Haight-Ashbury type neighborhoods with same scores of X. It proves that Annapolis bends over backwards to appoint kids from hippie creepy neighborhoods.
    That is how bullshit works.
    The skew comes from the number of applicants with test scores of X. If there are a million applicants who scored X and 1 opening, the odds are a million to 1.
    The 7 of 10 figure versus IIRC 3 of 10 for "whites" is a much more honest description, but it doesn't have the scare factor that they wanted to create. Same deal as the Global Warming fanatics, take the most alarming possible pseudo-fact and live off the controversy.

20. ethics