1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wireless network situation

Discussion in 'Bits & Bytes' started by Violet1966, Nov 4, 2004.

1. Violet1966

Violet1966 Stand and Deliver Staff Member

yeah i've done that before. messed things up in a tired stupor. duh. LOL :nut:

2. Violet1966

well my boo boo with the wizard for the router last night....it wasn't a boo boo at all. i just didn't power cycle the modem after the reboot of the router....to let it see the mac address. power cycled modem and it was back to aok. had to call dlink to realize it though...but i'm glad i didn't f it up as i thought i did.now what to do next? more coffee. LOL

3. Violet1966

how the frig did I miss this one??? *running to check*

4. mrRT

mrRT Tech Mod

that applies if you are using a built in wireless Violet...

If you are using a WAP or a wireless PCMCIA card it not an issue....

5. Violet1966

ok...gotcha. back to housework. not enough quiet time to think about this during the day. lol thanks art :) :love:

6. Violet1966

Well I don't know how...but I did it!!!! :happy: The wireless laptop is getting internet access!!!! Now on to getting printer stuff going. Making sure things are secure. Now to go eat some dinner!! Yea-ha!!! Thank you guys :)

Any advice on how to tighten this up...like secure it up a bit? I don't know where to start.

7. Coot

Coot Passed Away January 7, 2010

You can lock it down tighter than a drum if you set the router to only allow the MAC addresses of the wireless cards in the two machines ;)

8. Cariad

Cariad cymru am byth

Glad to see you have it up and running - and I didn't have to break out into a sweat.

9. Violet1966

I really didn't want to have you going through all the shit I had to go through in the past 24 hours Cariad. You would have wanted to strangle me ;) LOL

Thanks Coot :)

Gonna get kids to bed then try and figure out the printer thing, after I get the new xp install tweaked out a bit.

Thanks again guys :love:

10. Violet1966

Oh new question...gonna install zone alarm on wireless laptop. I'm gonna hit a wall right. I have to set something in zone alarm to let router in right? I know I have to...but don't understand what to do. Will look around but any guidance appreciated :)

11. Violet1966

Well I did it!! I got the file sharing and print sharing done and can access the net, learned how to make folders sharable....I got the freaking thing set up!!! I can't believe I did it...thanks to all of your help :)

Thanks again to all those that have helped me along :) :love:

note:
    secure as coot said.
    figure out how to configure zone alarm to allow access. (done...easy too. ipconfig ;) )

12. Violet1966

ok this morning printing isn't happening for some reason. from the hard wired comp with the software installed. weird. this thing is going to drive me nuts. hubby needed directions printed. the network is on the net and home comp isn't online. he goes to the hard wired one and it goes and asks to select printer...then you hit print and it just don't print??? oh well...chores to do. no time to play here right now. something so easy as printing...what a pain in the ass :(

edit: got it...had to remove and re-install printer...then it was all good. access from laptop too :) :happy:

13. mrRT

mrRT Tech Mod

once again I will say it..............

told ya you could do it.........

good job
    :thumbsup:

14. Violet1966

thank you :love: