1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wireless network situation

Discussion in 'Bits & Bytes' started by Violet1966, Nov 4, 2004.

1. Violet1966

Violet1966 Stand and Deliver Staff Member

i'm all cable here. i need a regular phone line for this? i think i have that. putting kids to bed now. just did baths. few more and i'll call you i have unlimited long distance.

2. mrRT

mrRT Tech Mod

cable from wall to > cable input on cable modem > ethernet cable from cable modem to WAN input on router > LAN output #1on router ethernet to computer and LAN output #2 on router to laptop...

( I know you can do it.... ) ;)

[​IMG]

3. SixofNine

SixofNine Jedi Sage Staff Member

No, that's why I used the generic term "Internet Connection" in my response because I didn't know whether you had DSL, cable, satellite, dial-up, or tin cans on a string. :)

In any of those cases the basic setup is as we have described.

Brian

4. SixofNine

I think the connection to the laptop is wireless. Vi mentioned that everything worked fine for her husband's friend when all connections were wired, and the problem started when he went wireless with the laptop. Come to think of it, if nothing else has changed that probably throws our workgroup naming theory out the window, but the printer sharing question is still in play.

Brian

5. mrRT

mrRT Tech Mod

If in fact that is when the trouble started then a few things come right to mind.....

#1 in the bios is the wireless mode activated

#2 even though it says its wireless some laptop manufacturers like to have you pay extra to have the wireless mode activated inyour laptop....bastards...hehehehehe

6. Violet1966

yup that's the sitch. thanks guys :) cariad walked me through the cables and i have out from cable modem to wan in router. out from 1 on router to desktop. then wireless card in slot in laptop. running xp pro setup now on laptop. just going through the steps. will let everything go to default on naming. thank you so much guys. thank you cariad for your help. i think i forgot to thank you before i hung up. scatter brained today...sorry and thank you very very much. if done with setup before 9 will call :)

7. SixofNine

You're reinstalling XP on the laptop? Wireless cards usually come with a CD containing drivers and utility software. Did you husband's friend give you one?

With an OS reinstall it will also be worth it to double-check the workgroup names on both computers.

Brian

8. Violet1966

nope. i just looked through all the disks. husband swore he got all the disks the guy had. there's no software for the router in there at all. i guess i need to go to the router's site to download the software if it's there. if not...this guy is gonna be sol cause i got this network for a month, and he's away in illinois and there's no way to get the disks from him.

9. Violet1966

10. LissaKay

LissaKay Oh ... Really???

Is the network card showing up in the Device Manager? Yellow exclamation or a question mark?

What you are looking for is drivers specific to the model of the network card.

11. Violet1966

thank you lissa :love:

network controller has a yellow question mark. i need to pull the card out with the laptop off, and look at the model and get the driver then right? Damn I can be so stupid sometimes. Yeah it's a linksys wireless-g 2.4 gig 802.11g model # wpc54g ver 1.2

I feel like a tard now. Duh. LOL Of course router wouldn't come with the network card....this is the first time I'm doing this. A little intimidating :(

Thank you Lissa. Will get the drivers for it and install them :love:

12. Andy

Andy ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Are you attempting to access the router config from the laptop?

You need to do that from a hard wired PC first to set everything up....

13. Violet1966

14. Andy

Andy ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Didn't XP pick it up and install drivers?

15. Violet1966

apparently not. it's a yellow question mark in device manager. and i'm upgraded upp to sp1 here on the laptop.

16. Andy

Andy ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I guess it's new enough not to be included..

Any way to cat5 it into the router, turn on the local area connection, and run windows update?

Or is there a problem that needs fixing before you get to the point of setting up the wireless lan. (I lost track, sorry)

I guess I should ask if you even got the router and the hard wired PC to talk to each other and connect to the Internet.

17. SixofNine

I was asking about a software CD for the laptop's wireless card, but you're certainly also correct to be looking for one for the router, too, and the solution to a missing CD for the wireless card is the same one that you already figured out for the router.

What's the make/model of the wireless card?

Brian

18. Violet1966

i'm on the hard wired pc right now so it's fine with the net. the laptop has no cat 5 connections to use. no cable ethernet adapter...just this wireless one. i need to get this wireless ethernet drivered up first. drivers aren't there on linksys' pub to get. i'm waiting on a live chat to ask for alternative method to obtain drivers. so far no one is appearing. lol i searched google for the file name of the drivers and nothing. just right back to that url they give on linksys.

19. Violet1966

linksys wireless wpc54g

20. Andy

Andy ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ