1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wireless network situation

Discussion in 'Bits & Bytes' started by Violet1966, Nov 4, 2004.

1. Violet1966

Violet1966 Stand and Deliver Staff Member

Ok I got a network here that's having problems. Friend of the hubby's is gone for a month, and is going to pay me to get this fully functional. Desktop is xp home....laptop is 98. He can't get anything on the laptop, to go to the printer. I haven't even set it up here yet, but wanted to get a head start on seeing if anyone sees the problem obviously, as I really don't know what to do first. I've never worked on a network before here. I'm assuming, after firing it up, to check firewall settings on the xp comp. He had the network fully functional when he had the thing hard wired....it's since he went wireless that this problem arouse. Any help appreciated :)

Now to set this all up. :nut:
  2. Advocat

Advocat Viral Memes a Speciality Staff Member

I know several people who've set up home networks using different OS on different computers (including, in one case, a print server).

Everyone reports the only way they could get things to work (eventually) was to spend several hours on the phone with the wireless router's tech support. Each company makes a different system, with different control protocols... and only they know -- or can figure out -- how different operating systems/makes of equipment interacts or reacts to the router.

Sorry I can't be of more help. :(
  3. Andy

Create a new "workgroup" on the XP box first, (even if you are keeping the same workgroup name) Share the printer out, then add the Win98 box to the same workgroup and see if you can see the workgroup in "network places" and add the printer from there..

Sometimes you need to run the network setup wizard from XP on the 98 box, it will prompt you near the finish to put the files on a floppy to transfer them.

I have had some situations with XP/98 where it worked right away, and some with the floppy transfer.
  4. FrankF

FrankF #55170-054

I am assuming the printer is plugged in to the XP machine as a local printer? You need to have file and printer sharing turned-on on the XP machine, add the printer as a network printer on the laptop, and most importantly... both computers must have the same Workgroup name (which is case sensitive).
  5. SixofNine

SixofNine Jedi Sage Staff Member

That pesky little comma in the second sentence throws me a little. :) Can the laptop connect to the internet but can't print on the printer, or is the laptop completely SOL with respect to a wireless connection?

If it's simply a printing problem I would check printer sharing setup, e.g., is the printer set up as a shared device, is the appropriate printer driver set up on the laptop, etc.? With my HP Laser printer at home the setup software even allows you to specify that the printer is being shared from another computer.

Also, are both the laptop and desktop in the same Windows workgroup?

6. Piobaireachd

Piobaireachd Full Member

Is the printer on the network or is it locally connected to the desktop and shared?

I agree with SixofNine, if the workgroup is the same then I would look at the printer share.

edit: Is the laptop accessing the internet ok? If not I would look at the encryption pass phrase.
  7. Violet1966

I think he said the only problem was he can't print to the printer which is connected to the xp machine. The laptop is totally wireless and he was able to access the net I believe. I'm still busy doing chores here....so will get to hooking this up in a few...and will address the questions above and do what was suggested when I have the time in a bit. What a pita. I have two small children, tons of laundry and errands, play time, nap time, shower time, dishes and meals...but yeah would love to figure this stupid shit out for you because I could always use the money. LOL Ahhhhh!!! ;) Will be back later on when I have it connected. Thanks all :) :love:
  8. Piobaireachd

Piobaireachd Full Member

According to Terrraaaaza, being a mom isn't a real job! ;)

I'll check back throughout the day...

9. mrRT

mrRT Tech Mod

1. workgroups are different....They must be the same

2. Printer has not be setup to share or does not have a share not associated with it...(printer properties to do both...)

Those come to mind first.....let me know...
  10. Violet1966

Ok question....would this even be an issue if the 98 system went to xp? This is a 98 condition most likely?

I didn't get his printer with all the stuff we picked up. Will it matter if I hook my own printer up to test the situation? I know stupid question...but asking because this is new territory to me all together.

Setting up work station in a few.
  11. Andy

Regardless of OS... must still be in same workgroup.
  12. SixofNine

No, more likely is having both computers in the same workgroup and having the printer set up as a shared device.

13. mrRT

mrRT Tech Mod

It is most likely a 98 issue in so far as the default workgroup for 98 is workgroup I think, while the default workgroup for XP (if using XP Home) is MSHOME.....Have to recheck but I think those are the defaults....but of course you can change either

I think you already know the answer there.....

and as ALWAYS.....there are no stupid questions here, just ones that we forgot the answers too :)
  14. Violet1966

Ok thanks guys, I'm goin in ;) LOL Wish me luck :p
  15. Violet1966

Ok oops what was I thinking? They're both xp boxes. I don't know what I was thinking? Just turned on the both of them and they're both xp. The desktop is xp home...laptop is xp pro. He said I might have to reformat the laptop...that's what I was thinking was the big job here. Duh :nut: ;)

Ok now I've got the cat 5 going into 1 on the wireless and the wireless ethernet card plugged into the laptop. Other end of cat in the ethernet on desktop. Too many errors when trying to run the disk I made on the desktop when setting up with the wizard....so now onto reformat this laptop.

Ok now I have one question...I'm going to need to manually set up internet access on the laptop after reformatting because there's no ethernet card other then the wireless, and can't go from modem to wireless because I'm short a cable here. So for updates and stuff, and final test to access the outer net...will need to manually configure cable internet access for the laptop. Anyone have a good link for that? I can't just run the setup with a hard wire to my modem....no cat 5 input on laptop. Can't use wireless router because no cat 5 to go from modem to router...have to configure manually. Hope I said that right. Sorry for the confusion :nut: :banghead: :)
  16. Cariad

Cariad cymru am byth

huh? Can you access the router config from the laptop?
  17. Violet1966

ok as you know since we talked on the phone...i'm gonna go get the extra cat 5. i got half way there though and realized I can't run the modem and the router into the same spot on the back of the desktop. now what do I get a splitter? Or does the modem out go in the router too??? I know you're on the phone with your mum. I'm here...but if anyone else can answer this one....I can get a move on. LOL Got half way there and realized this. ahhhhhh :banghead:

so don't need help anyone with manual configuration of the internet access. Can you tell this is my first time??? :banghead:
  18. SixofNine

The typical setup is Internet Connection -> Modem -> Router.

I assume that you have a combination router/wireless access point. Connect one of the LAN connections on the router to the desktop.

Hope this helps,

19. Violet1966

ok got it. so net into router then out of router to comps. so just need the extra cat. kids in jackets...cariad i'm gone. thanks brian :love:
  20. Cariad

Cariad cymru am byth

Regular phone line into modem, cat 5 out of modem into router, cat5 out or router into pc.

As soon as I get the babe off to bed (anytime between 7 and 7:30 I'll call you back.