1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

wireless network dvd player

Discussion in 'Bits & Bytes' started by valgore, Jan 2, 2003.

1. valgore

valgore Veteran Member

here is something I came across in my search for wireless componets. it is a dvd player that will stream content off your computer to your tv using 802.11b wireless networking. it's not due out until the first quarter of this year but it looks very exciting. the only drawback I see so far is that it does not seem to have DTS decoding. but it does have dolby digital decoding as well as progressive scan and coaxial and optical digital outputs. $249.00.

http://www.diamondmm.com/company/press.asp?ID=580

2. -Ken

-Ken Guest

You might want to consider this toy might take down your
    wireless network if you try to use both at the same time.

The 2.4 gHz spectrum is getting kind of crowded and in some
    urban areas it has become all but unusable.

3. Techie2000

Techie2000 The crowd would sing:

I have to agree with Ken. We got Phones, 802.11b, and now more and more stuff. 5GHz is where the coolness is at for now...:)

4. valgore

valgore Veteran Member

yeah well i didn't want to the spend the extra money for 802.11a if transfer rates aren't all that great then I don't really care. it'll get everyone off my computer and the kids will just have to tough it out. I'll wait and see how well my network operates before deciding on whether or not to buy this dvd player.

on the other hand over time as everyone upgrades to 5 GHz maybe the 2.4 GHz spectrum will become less crowded.

5. Techie2000

Techie2000 The crowd would sing:

Hehehe. I'm lucky, people don't really use 2.4GHz in my area, so my Wi-Fi segment works fine...:)

The best way to go is Cat5 in every room (with a computer). That's what my dad did in our house, and it rocks...:)