1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wireless Internet connectivity question

Discussion in 'Bits & Bytes' started by Allene, Oct 25, 2016.

1. Allene

Allene Registered User

We moved from DSL to Wireless Internet recently. It works well, except for some dropped connections that are happening at our end. The guy who installed everything didn't pull the cable out of the Ethernet port, so I did that after he left. Today, I found out that he didn't disable Ethernet when I was checking Change adapter settings. Would that situation contribute to unstability? I can't think of any reason to keep both Ethernet and Wireless Internet going at the same time.

I'm in the process of troubleshooting and am going through the four reasons for dropped connections. It said to check the adapter settings first. There's nothing wrong with the Wireless connection right now. Much of the time, Wi-Fi is turned on, but the system cannot find the Network, even though it is there.

I may need to update drivers, etc., unless it is set to update automatically. I will do all this myself. I'm just wondering if that Ethernet connection could cause some of this problem. Yes or No? Thanks.
  2. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

If the ethernet card is not detecting traffic (no cord plugged in), it won't have an effect on your wireless connection.
  3. Allene

Allene Registered User

Okay, thanks. I pulled the cord about half an hour after he left. So that was not what is causing intermittent dropping. So I will continue with the troubleshooting.
  4. Andy

Make sure the power setting for the wireless card is not shutting it off to save power.
  5. Allene

Allene Registered User

Thanks, Andy. Never thought of that. I will check that out next week when I have more time. Much of the time, the Wi-Fi is on, but the router can't find our network. The worst day we had was Columbus Day. We were without the Internet for most of four hours. That makes me wonder if all the neighbors who were home and on their computers were interfering with ours. I have a Cisco Lynksys EA2700. It must be about 5 years old. We had Wi-Fi with DSL first. It is only since we changed from DSL to Wireless that we started having this problem. The router updates automatically, so it's not drivers. The router is on the 2.4 GHz band and Channel 5. If I understand correctly, 5 GHz is better for avoiding interference. I will get a more powerful router eventually if the problem continues.

The information on my computer re the router refers to it as an "Intel(R) Wireless N-7260." Is that a different router, or is it the generic description for a Cisco Lynksys EA2700?
  6. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

Ummm, that looks like your wireless card, not the router.
  7. Allene

Allene Registered User

I think you are right! :) I'm no expert on this, for sure!