1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Winter break extended to help Mexican students

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by Misu, Jan 19, 2003.

1. Misu

Misu Hey, I saw that.

http://www.cnn.com/2003/US/West/01/18/winter.break.ap/index.html

And on the flip side....

<i>"We always have a big drop-off of attendance the first week back from kids coming back late from Mexico," said Stuart Greenfeld, the superintendent of Washington Unified School District, which includes 11 schools in West Sacramento.

The district adjusted its schedule to accommodate the Hispanic students, who represent 37 percent of its 7,000 students, and gave everyone an extra week off -- making it a three-week vacation break. </i>

OK, to it makes MUCH more sense to just give EVERYONE a 3 week break, and then shorten their summer break by 1 week?

<small>editted because I forgot to add my comments!</small>

Last year, my mom had to cut her vacation short by 3 days in order to come back in time for my sister's school. The school didn't give her any special considerations, even though they're hispanic too. WTF! I demand a recount! :friggin:

2. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

Bullshit. What the hell are they doin' in our schools to begin with?

3. Misu

Misu Hey, I saw that.

I think you're confused Biker - the school is accomodating mexican students - no mention of illegals anywhere.

4. FrankF

FrankF #55170-054

OK, I'll mention illegals... Did you know that the schools in San Diego, CA actually send school buses across the Mexican border everyday to cart illegal alien kids to schools in San Diego...and then cart them back at the end of the day?
    It has been going on for years, nobody can stop it, and nobody (in San Diego anyway) seems to care to stop it... because the school district receives money for each student... doesn't matter where they come from.

5. mikepd

mikepd Veteran Member

So the school district did it not out of consideration of hispanic students with relatives in Mexico but for financial reasons. What else is new? As for your mom Misu, wrong side of the country it seems. I doubt Florida has the same financial incentive law or you can believe the same change would have been done as well.

edit: I wrote my post before I saw FrankF's post. Most interesting. Glad I'm not a taxpayer there or my post would have to be moved to UiF. If that is not illegal it should be.

6. Misu

Misu Hey, I saw that.

Wait wait wait.... Frank, you're saying that American School buses are crossing the border in the mornings to pick up kids to attend San Diego schools? And then they take them back in the afternoons?

????

edit - just did a quick search on google, and it's true. But the articles I've found have all stated that the children hold US citizenship but live in Mexico. They hold US Citizenship because they were born in a hospital close to the border, on the US side.

It's also a 50 year tradition they call 'shared schooling'.

I'm all confused now.

7. FrankF

FrankF #55170-054

I would not have posted it if it wasn't true.:)

And to be fair... Let's say there is a neighborhood that sits right on the border... with no other houses for miles around. If a kid who lives on the US side of the border goes to an American school... why shouldn't his best friend who lives just across the street (on the same street, but in Mexico) go to the same school? I can buy that... no problem. Borders aren't that cut and dried when you live right on the border.

But to drive the school bus 1-2 miles across the border?... I start having a problem with that.

8. mikepd

mikepd Veteran Member

Misu, Are you talking about this article:

http://www.rethinkingschools.org/archive/11_03/bennett.shtml

which talks about New Mexico or California? What about the other border states? An interesting topic and does the Mexican government contribute anything toward this or are they just concerned with helping illegals out of US custody and shooting in hot pursuit across our border?

9. Misu

Misu Hey, I saw that.

Frank, I didn't mean to say you lied - I'm dumb, forgive me :)

Mike, yes that's the link I clicked on. But it's not saying driving 1 or 2 miles - it says the buses drive a good 50 minutes to take the kids to school.

I don't know if the Mexican government contributes anything - except maybe 'potential voters' ;)

10. Coot

Coot Passed Away January 7, 2010

What may be quickly becoming Mexico's number one export is poverty. They'd like for us to take substantially more of it off their hands.

11. FrankF

FrankF #55170-054

I doubt the Mexican government contributes anything.
    (Off topic... but I have a friend who lives in Ensenada, BC, Mexico. He was a helicopter pilot who sprayed drug crops for the Federales. Until the drug lords shot him in the head because he wouldn't take a $50,000 bribe. No help from the Mexican government because he got shot at home... didnt get shot on the job!)