1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Winnie Mandela Dead

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by ethics, Apr 2, 2018.

1. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Got 3 alerts on my phone as if it was some tragedy. She was 81 and I wasn't too fond of her to begin with:

She was heard backing the practice of "necklacing" - putting burning tyres around suspected informants' necks - and was accused of conducting a virtual reign of terror in parts of Soweto by other members of the ANC in the late 1980s.

She was also found guilty of kidnapping and sentenced to six years' imprisonment for her involvement in the death of 14-year-old township militant Stompie Seipei. She always denied the allegation, and the sentence was reduced to a fine.

South Africa's Winnie Mandela dies at 81

Arc and Allene like this.
  2. MemphisMark

MemphisMark Old school Conservative

A person will either be revered or reviled in death, it all depends on who writes the history.

3. cmhbob

cmhbob Did...did I do that? Staff Member

MemphisMark likes this.
  4. ethics

Allene and cmhbob like this.
  5. cmhbob

Peter writes some very interesting stuff from time to time. He's blasted the Catholic Church for their scandals, he's got a great series of articles about self-defense and disaster prep, and a neat historical aircraft series as well.

ethics likes this.
  6. Allene

Allene Registered User

Excellent piece! Thanks for posting!

cmhbob likes this.
  7. ethics

I'll add him to my RSS.

cmhbob likes this.
  8. cmhbob

He can occasionally get kind of far right and conspiracy-ish, but if nothing else, he'll make you think about things.

9. ethics

I enjoy reading opinions that don't match mine. Not ALL the time but it's good to be kept in a position when you can learn something new. Or at least understand an opposite opinion.