1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows XP is hanging on shutdown

Discussion in 'Bits & Bytes' started by Techie2000, Jan 3, 2003.

1. Techie2000

Techie2000 The crowd would sing:

Once it gets to the last part before the computer would normally turn itself off or display the "it is now safe to turn off your computer" message, it just hangs. I have to hit the hard reset button or kill the power switch on the PSU. I have all the latest updates installed.

2. Coot

Coot Passed Away January 7, 2010

3. HaYwIrE

HaYwIrE Banned

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308029

4. HaYwIrE

HaYwIrE Banned

Damnit coot.

5. midranger4

midranger4 Banned

Is the hard drive being constantly accessed during this *hang time*?

What programs show in the task list just prior to your attempt to shut down?

6. dmdvt

dmdvt Guest

Techie,

Are you using an XP upgrade?

7. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Passed Away Aug. 19, 2006

Yet another problem MS has not dealt with in an upgrade. Win 98 has the same problem. MSKB has aa long article on trouble shooting for it in W98, too. It is sitting on top of my monitor waiting for me to spend a half day working through it. PITA.

8. Techie2000

1. This has been happening since the begining. Just never bothered with it because I never used XP much until recently I spent most of my time in Linux...

2. I am using Windows XP Home Edition upgrade, but did a fresh install with it.

3. I'll try some stuff from the knowledgebase. The IME I think isn't the problem because that was fixed in SP1 which I have installed...

9. jamming

jamming Banned

Its that darn Linux, trying to mess up poor innocent Windows ;)

10. Cariad

Cariad cymru am byth

How long have you left it before you've gotten bored and hit the power button. I used to do the same thing. Then I decided to wait, so see if it ever shut off. Took almost 15 minutes, but it eventually shut off.

Next time it shut off in less time, then the wait time was even shorter the next time. I don't know why, but once you wait (or so was the case with my pc) the first 5 or 6 times, the actual shut down time decreased. No rhyme or reason.

I find it takes longer if I'm connected to network.

Not sure if this might be the case with you, but posted just in case.

11. Techie2000

Hmm. I'll leave it on overnight tonight and see what happens...Thanks for the help...:)

12. fritzmp

fritzmp Fire Fire For Effect

mindranger has a point. You should look to see what you have running in memory when you are shutting down or rebooting.

I had a similar problem with W2k with TDS-3 and Nortan AV running in memory at the same time.

13. Techie2000

No that HDD isn't being accessed at all...

14. Techie2000

Okay it finally did shutdown. I decided to try a defrag, and what do you know it worked. Thanks Cariad!