1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows NT 4.0 Patch 5 Performance Question

Discussion in 'Bits & Bytes' started by ethics, Dec 17, 2002.

1. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Since you guys are such gurus with everything else, let me fire a HUGE problem my job currently has (I am not a desktop support guy but want to go around them since they are not up and up on their knowledge).

Problem: We have 1 Gig mhz PC's with 512 Megs of RAM (some have a gig). Everything seems to be ok but since these are trader's worsktations, they use trading applications like Espeed, Brokertec, Garban, etc...

We have developed an in-house positions applications which, according to desktop guys, is hogging up the workstations--which has performance so bad that they freeze up and move slowly.

The network is NT with a Netware (yes, I know) client which also has Application Explorer.

My feeling, and based on Event logs (which tell me absolutely nothing) is that it's the network, or some other APP.

Is there an shareware program or a utility which can help me identify performance problems on NT workstations?

2. ShinyTop

ShinyTop I know what is right or wrong!

The old three fingered salute, Ctl-Alt-Del, will bring up the screen that shows open aps. There is also a tab for processes that shows what process is eating the CPU cycles. You might try that.

3. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Yah, I know that. It's too chaotic to track. I was hoping for something more substantial (telling?).

4. Ravenink

Ravenink Veteran Member

ok, I'm a 2k kid, so I don't know if this is possible in NT.

In win2k there is something called the MMC which you can use to configure various things on your computer. One of them is a system monitor. Using this it would be possible to keep a log of all activity on the system, and have various warning set when cpu resources run low, you could set it to send a message to the network admin whenever system resources free fall below 5%. As for doing that in NT...does NT even have a MMC?

5. Ravenink

Ravenink Veteran Member

if the system logger built into NT (assuming it exists) isn't going to work, let me know and I'll see if one of the older guys here remembers how to do it in NT :p

6. Sierra Mike

Sierra Mike The Dude Abides Staff Member

Leon,

Roll it up to SP6a. You don't have to do incremental fixes, just hit it up with 6a, which was the last real "certified" SP released for NT4. I had spurious processor activity going on with a lot of my SP5 devices, even DNS servers, which actually do a lot of nothing. 6a took care of it.

I am curious about the NetWare client on the server, though. You can still authenticate into the NW DNS schema using CSNW; am I to presume you're running the Novell NetWare Client on a server?

SM

7. Sierra Mike

Oops, disregard...these are desktop clients. I see why they need the NW client for authentication.

Roll on up to SP6a and see what happens. Worst thing that happens is you have to uninstall. All the SPs since 3 uninstall pretty cleanly.

SM

8. Techie2000

Techie2000 The crowd would sing:

I'd personally go with Shiny's solution. If you could take a screenshot of the list we could take a look at it. Do you have a Fluke tool? If so you can use it to test your network and see if its that.

9. Sierra Mike

No need to use Fluke to check connectivity or for congestion, Techie; you can get that by pulling the statistics on the core switches, and see which links are over-utilized.

SM

10. Techie2000

Techie2000 The crowd would sing:

Oh. I only have cheap hubs that don't do that. None of that fancy Cisco stuff or whatever it is that you guys use...

11. Sierra Mike

Do yourself a favor--look around on eBay or one of those other places and grab yourself an HP ProCurve 4000 switch. They're great entry-level devices, work up to Layer 3, and can support full fiber gigabit. They can do trunking, VLAN, STP, VRRP, etc., etc.

If you're interested, that is.

SM