1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Media 9 vs. Real Media

Discussion in 'Bits & Bytes' started by Techie2000, Jan 23, 2003.

1. Techie2000

Techie2000 The crowd would sing:

Well today, bored since my video card is currently on order, I went on the web looking for different videos to watch. I hit up C|Net and TechTV. C|Net gives me a choice of Real or Windows Media. TechTV for some strange reason is only available in Windows Media. I have to say between the two I prefer Real. I like the RealONE player better, and quite frankly real media is simply better than Windows Media. It scales better, and all around is just better quality. When trying Windows Media on both C|Net and TechTV, it was very jumpy, and laggy. The stream often got interrupted. It was more like watching a horrible slide show than streaming video.

2. Scott

Scott Some Assembly Required

the only reason real player isn't on my machine is because of spyware. i don't know if the newer versions have any spyware, but i am still a little iffy about installing it....

3. midranger4

midranger4 Banned

I am not a fan of real player for the same reason Scott describes.

I don't like any application that takes liberties with my file associations, system tray, and God knows what else.

I've been very happy with Media Player and Quicktime thus far and haven't encountered a media clip that ran exclusively on Real Player as of yet. It would have to be a clip that really had me interested to install Real to view it.

4. Stiofan

Stiofan Master Po

I just DL Real Player after my recent HD meltdown. I wasn't using it before, but I thought maybe it's gotten better. Wrong! With in 5 minutes it tries to gain server access and opens up a IM window. Geeze, I hate that crap. So now I have it blocked in ZA, but I really am thinking about deep sixing it entirely. Problem is, there are some sites offering only their format media DLs.

5. Techie2000

Techie2000 The crowd would sing:

I know Real can be annoying, but being the Techie that I am, I neutered it. I actually don't care that it took over my associations because that's what I like to use anyways but it no longer does its startup thing or message center thing...

6. IamZed

IamZed ...

My previous Player Plus paid for version, as well as everyone I knows has crapped out. Had to go from paid to free once more. Real needs to continue this open source drive.

7. Violet1966

Violet1966 Stand and Deliver Staff Member

I'm with Sc0tt on this one too. Add in the fact that the install decides for you that the player wants to start with windows and all the files it cluster f's onto your computer, it's not a lean program like it used to be. I haven't used it in almost 3 years now. I find nothing wrong with windows media player. It does it all and any site that is using only real player is not getting my hit. I will miss nothing from it.

8. Sharondippity

Sharondippity Sweetness and Light

I used to love RealPlayer too, before she bloated up on me. Blech spying, bloated, manipulating. Kind of like my ex mother in law ha hoo.

9. IamZed

IamZed ...

10. wapu

wapu Veteran Member

Same for me. Used to love Real, now it is just a pain. My wife installed it on hers and it still does all kinds of crap. I will stick with Media Player too.

11. RRedline

RRedline Veteran MMember

I just want to add that I also despise Real's software. I gave Real One a very honest shot, but I was unable to get it to stop annoying me. One of the main reasons I trashed it and started badmouthing it was because I couldn't get it to stop initiating my external LAN modem all the time. The program is constantly calling out to the Internet even when you turn everything off in the settings. I can only assume that it is some sort of Spyware.

I have been in MP3 bliss since I started using MusicMatch JUKEBOX. I love the way the library is organized, and it is full of useful features, but not overly complex or annoying.