1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows 2000 Upgrade to XP

Discussion in 'Bits & Bytes' started by ethics, Dec 31, 2002.

1. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Windows 2000 Upgrare to XP

This gentleman writes for the techie column in the WSJ. Here's one of many questions he had to answer today:

Q: I'm considering upgrading my two-year-old desktop home computer to Windows XP from Windows 2000 Professional. The professional upgrade, which Microsoft says is the only one that will work, retails for $200. Is it worth it?

A: It depends on why you want to upgrade. The biggest reason to upgrade to Windows XP is stability, but Windows XP isn't any more stable than Windows 2000, because it shares the same underlying architecture. It also isn't any better at running major productivity software used in both business and home, such as Microsoft Office.

However, out of the box, Windows XP supports many more consumer software titles and peripherals than Windows 2000, which was designed for corporate use. It also has a different user interface, better built-in support for wireless networks, integrated instant messaging and some different versions of the built-in Windows applications. And, of course, being newer, it will be supported by Microsoft longer. If these things matter to you, then it may be worth upgrading. Otherwise, it probably isn't worth it.
    ==========

Is he correct?

2. Steve

Steve Is that it, then?

Essentially correct on all points. XP is more consumer-oriented, with better multimedia support and more current device drivers.

If you want those things bundled with your OS, there is a marginal advantage to upgrading to XP Pro. I personally find the default interface to unnecessarily complex and rather "blurry".

I would not upgrade, especially if the W2K Pro install is working fine.

3. Techie2000

Techie2000 The crowd would sing:

Yup he is correct. Stevent is right XP is more consumer oriented. You'll probably have better luck getting your games to work with XP than 2000 (especially since XP has the compatability mode). However as far as devices and drivers go, I generallly find little if any difference between 2000 and XP. Generally if a device has drivers for 2000 the same ones can be used for XP. For example NVIDIA uses the same drivers for 2000 and XP. Also XP has the built-in WMP8 which isn't available on the other OSes so if you care about that. Many people don't care about the integrated instant messaging.

Oh yeah from my eXPerience, XP couldn't be worse at managing NICs and networks if it tried...

4. mrRT

mrRT Tech Mod

What I have found is that it is more comsumer oriented, but I find it geared toward the user that has minimal to average knowledge. By that I mean XP seems to do alot of things that in the past required a definate knowledge set to preform. Now these tasks can be done by anyone.

I had XP on this machine for a bit and then went back to Win2k. Being a person that likes to mess with things I found myself fighting with that OS more than having it help me.

I dont know if I agree on the additional multimedia support being a plus for XP. I mean currently any driver support needed seems to be readily available in the Win2K flavor. I think what they meant is that out of the box, so to speak, there is more support.

And lastly...for the clients that I have installed this OS for...ALL have asked to have the instant messaging deleted. Primarily because their instant message choice is AOL IM not Microsoft.

so I guess my bottom line on the OS is that if you are an experienced user..it doesn't buy you anything to have XP instead of Win2k. If your experience level is average to minimal...then you may find this OS to be the OS of choice.

***edited cause my spelling is the worst

5. dmdvt

dmdvt Guest

I found that t be the case with XP.
    Once you give an NIC an IP address it doesn't want to give back that IP.
    There is no changing the NIC and using the same IP address.
    That is why my machine has 4 IP's.
    If anybody knows how to take care of this issue, please enlighten me.

:huh:

6. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Wow, some great answers. :)

7. mrRT

mrRT Tech Mod

Try this one...

Q. What happened to the WinIPConfig utility to check and set my Internet protocol (IP) address?

A. WinIPConfig has been made part of the individual network connection dialog box, so a separate tool is no longer required. To configure connections, in Control Panel, open Network Connections, double-click the individual connection (or right-click it and click Status), and then click the Support tab. The Repair command performs the same functions as the Release and Renew commands in WinIPConfig. You can also type ipconfig at the Command Prompt, if you prefer to use a command line interface.

I love ipconfig command...Looks like XP has a different version of the release or renew

and here's one more LINK to try.

Let me know if thats what your trying to do and if it helps or not ..

8. Jedi Writer

Jedi Writer Guest

Yes he is correct.

You can answer the question another way.

Windows XP is just as stable as Windows 2000, can do everything Windows 2000 can but also can do more, and a lot more plus it is more flexible and permits much more user customization.

For those who want to do more individually instead of having XP do it automatically, they can do so by adjusting some settings.

Finally, XP is now THE OS of Microsoft for all computers and will be developing, improving, and developing on it for the foreseeable future.

Most games and many other consumer or home applications won't run on 2000. Almost all will on XP. Many peripherals, especially older ones will not run on 2000, many of those old guys will run on XP.

One good example of how smart and friendly XP is. Take your existing computer that you are going to install XP on, regardless of its OS. Disconnect all of the peripherals such as printers, scanners, joystick and the lot.

Do a CLEAN install of XP after backing up all of your data.

Shut down the machine when done. Plug in all of your peripherals. Turn on the computer. Within sixty seconds after boot up XP will have detected all of the peripheral hardware AND installed drivers for all of them and they are ready to go.

(You may when convenient go to the web sites of the manufactures of each peripheral and download more current drivers but the the XP drivers will work fine until then.)

Upgrade? It is a no-brainer.

9. dmdvt

dmdvt Guest

MrRT,

This only seems to work if DHCP is being used on the machine.
    This is not the case. Maybe I misread the page but that was what I got out of it.

Thanks for the help.

:thumbsup:

10. Techie2000

Techie2000 The crowd would sing:

Yes I found it conviently annoying how XP likes to remember the other positions of my NIC card in the PCI slots, so now I have 3 hidden network connections all with the same IP. I'm going to try to flush them out with safe mode later. One time XP's NIC management "features" had me calling up their Tech Support, posting in multiple online forums, and still couldn't fix the problem. Their helpless desk had no clue, so I had to reinstall...

11. ShinyTop

ShinyTop I know what is right or wrong!

I have to concur that upgrading to XP is a good move. I used 2000 for a while and would not go back. On top of every other reason just consider that good or bad, it is the way you will have to go sooner or later. So if the money is not a concern go XP. I prefer Pro but have no huge issue that calls for it.

12. mikepd

mikepd Veteran Member

I acquired 10 client NFR versions of Windows 2000 Pro, Server and Advanced Server from Microsoft for the outrageous price of $149.95 for everything. Of course, Microsoft no longer provides these items for that price anymore.

Being adventurous, I decided to upgrade a clone and a IBM laptop to Windows XP Pro. Both were nightmares. I expected problems with the IBM but not as much with the clone.

Never say 'yes' if an install program asks you if it should get updated files first before doing its thing. Let it install first then update.

I wound up having to re-install all of my software as it trashed the disk and of course, my backup decided to go south. The clone had a bad mobo so when that got replaced (went from a PIII to a PIV 2.53Ghz with 1GB ram) and I thought this would be a good time to try XP.

The wife saw XP and said she wanted to try it too. SO we go an academic version from the community college she's going to and that's what I put on her laptop. Had some problems with the IBM but less than with the clone.

The rest of my systems that are not running Linux will stay at Win 2K until they die. As they get replaced, they'll run whatever is on them.

13. ShinyTop

ShinyTop I know what is right or wrong!

Sounds like you upgraded. A new clean install is always the best way to go. I have installed XP Pro on a homebuilt clone, an IBM laptop and a Dell laptop and have had no driver problems at all.

14. mikepd

mikepd Veteran Member

Yes, I upgraded. I know a clean install is the best way but one does get seduced by the Dark Side ;)