1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows 10

Discussion in 'Bits & Bytes' started by Biker, Jul 16, 2015.

1. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

Welp, they finally moved the testers over to the TH1 builds, which apparently are those that will eventually become the RTM which is due to be released in less than two weeks.

Thankfully, the TH1 core build that was pushed is a lot more stable than the Insider builds. When I got pushed to build 10160, the installation was totally borked and I had to revert back to build 10130 which was buggy as all get out.

Now that I'm on a stable version and everything appears to be working as designed, I'm inclined to give a more favorable rating to this new version.

Some things to watch out for. After everything is installed and you start going through the setup, you will be presented with an option to do Express settings. DO NOT ACCEPT THEM! If you do, your computer will be calling home to Microsoft for all sorts of things, including your browsing history, what you're using on the PC, as well as calling in your location. It also wants to automatically allow your social media contacts access to your network and you to theirs. No no no no no no. Go through the options individually and turn that crap off!

Once it's all set, it's not too bad. Start menu is a little different, but easily adapted to. One of the nice things is the ability to pin your favorites there so you don't have to go digging for them.

I'll use this exclusively for the next few days and put it through its paces. But, from what I can see, it's not too shabby and includes some things I wish Windows 7 had (like the ability to pin the task bar to the top of the screen).

Stay tuned. :D
    Allene and ethics like this.
  2. Biker

I could get used to this.

So far, very very nice. Not going to replace Linux as my daily driver, though. :D
    ethics likes this.
  3. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

4. Biker

Some welcome changes in Task Manager as well.

As you can see, it's a memory hog. I'll be going through Black Viper's site to see if I can improve things a bit.
  5. Biker

Something kinda neat. You can change the default panel titles as well. :D

6. Allene

Allene Registered User

Nice! I see they are still calling Programs "Apps"! That just turns me off!
  7. Biker

Ran things through Black Viper's site. Not much of a change noticed. There wasn't that much to change which is surprising.

There were, however, some things that should be turned off dealing with sharing information. They were originally set to manual, but disabling is a much better solution.
  8. Allene

Allene Registered User

Thanks for the warning on that, Tom.
  9. Biker

After two solid days of using it, I can recommend it for those who wish to upgrade. It has some nice features I wish Windows 7 had, and once you get used to the few minor changes, it's pretty slick. Still won't be my daily driver, but I won't dread booting into it on the rare occasions that I need to.
    Allene likes this.
  10. Biker

This pretty much nails what's going on with Microsoft and Windows 10.

Here's what Windows 10 won't change: Window 8's plans to tie you to Microsoft services | PCWorld

Now, while Microsoft really, really wants you to start subscribing to their services, you don't have to with Windows 10. Your Windows 7 programs work just fine with it, and you can remove/hide the store icons that tend to be in your face.

So, while the underlying purpose of Windows 10 is to push more people to the Microsoft store, you don't have to. Windows 10 functions beautifully as a stand alone OS and there's absolutely no need to buy into Microsoft's desire for you to spend more $$$.
  11. Allene

Allene Registered User

I'm probably in the group below, so I'll wait until I'm force-fed Windows 10 via a new laptop. Meanwhile, I have Windows 8.1 more or less beaten into submission.

12. Greg

Greg Full Member

I don't see the use of the word "apps" at all accidental. It's no secret that Microsoft's future intentions are towards an environment where your computer is a dumb terminal and all your programs and data (or as much as possible) lie in the Microsoft cloud. They aren't content to sell applications and operating systems. They want to RENT services.

Seeing Apple and their app store -- and onerous policy of not allowing others to sell apps except through Apple's store has given Microsoft delusions of grandeur.

Admittedly MSFT has the largest share of PC operating systems in the consumer market. They aren't doing so well in the commercial server market compared to open source software but most consumers could care less about that.
  13. MemphisMark

MemphisMark Old school Conservative

Allene, I didn't know you were a Dominatrix... :run-66:
    Allene likes this.
  14. Biker

Here's something pretty slick.

You can go here to burn your own copy of Windows 10 to a DVD. Windows 10

Now. Here's what I did.

Once I upgraded the machine, I then went to the above link and created an ISO for Windows 10.

Then, I created a file to retrieve the product key (h/t HowToGeek):

Set WshShell = CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
    MsgBox ConvertToKey(WshShell.RegRead("HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\DigitalProductId"))
    Function ConvertToKey(Key)
    Const KeyOffset = 52
    i = 28
    Chars = "BCDFGHJKMPQRTVWXY2346789"
    Cur = 0
    x = 14
    Cur = Cur * 256
    Cur = Key(x + KeyOffset) + Cur
    Key(x + KeyOffset) = (Cur \ 24) And 255
    Cur = Cur Mod 24
    x = x -1
    Loop While x >= 0
    i = i -1
    KeyOutput = Mid(Chars, Cur + 1, 1) & KeyOutput
    If (((29 - i) Mod 6) = 0) And (i <> -1) Then
    i = i -1
    KeyOutput = "-" & KeyOutput
    End If
    Loop While i >= 0
    ConvertToKey = KeyOutput
    End Function
    Save the file in notepad/wordpad and name it productkey.vbs

Double click on the file and a small popup will show with your new WIndows 10 product key. Save it to a safe place and now you have the ability to reinstall on your machine in the event of a catastrophic failure.
    Greg, Allene and ethics like this.
  15. MemphisMark

MemphisMark Old school Conservative

Okay, I updated my company laptop to Win 10. I have a weird problem that started only after I upgraded.

I shut my laptop down at the end of the day. It refuses to start up until I pull the external power and battery, hit the power button to make sure it is fully discharged, reinstall the battery and external power, then it starts up normally.

It's a brand new laptop, I doubt I need to flash the BIOS.
  16. Biker

May want to double check to see if the time is being stored properly in the BIOS.
  17. dsl987

dsl987 Member

Just upgraded my Son's computer and the boot up time seems to have increased considerably. Used to take around a minute or so to get to the desktop, it's now taking over 2 minutes. The hard drive seems to thrash around a lot more, and for no apparent reason. Any suggestions?

CPU = Athlon II X4 645 Processor 3.1Ghz
    Ram = 6GB
    System = 64 bit
    HD = 1TB with 100GB free
  18. Biker

Takes a lot longer for mine to boot now, as well. Even after trimming down the startup items, it still takes forever and a day to boot.

I chalk it up to it being a new version on Winderz. Have to admit, the boot times have been increasing with each subsequent release.
  19. Greg

Greg Full Member

Each Windows has more bloat. Bloat takes HDD to store it and boot time to load it.

MSFT had a perfectly good product in Windows 2000 and Office 2000. There's very little important that I can think of that couldn't be done with the OS or with Office. (I use only Word and Excel, so I can't say for the other Office constellation.)

But they have to keep adding bloat because they need new releases to sell more products. They have to sell customers on the idea that they need to buy new products -- so that MSFT can make more profit. No new products, drastically reduced product. (All they'd be selling is OS and Office to stuff new OEM products.) MSFT can't live without obsoleting products.

When MSFT ends support on a product, it's still as good a product as it always was. All it really needs is vulnerability fixes. A better word for "end of support" is "product execution."

There is an interesting interaction I noticed in the days when Microsoft and Intel were very pally. You install your MSFT OS with a later version. Each later OS version needs more time to boot. Eventually you need a new, faster computer or boot the computer before you make the coffee. This is where Intel comes in, making faster CPUs and chip sets. Get the new "Intel inside" computer and your slow OS boots much more quickly! Being it boots more quickly, MSFT feels it can add more bloat. The two synergize. They feed back on one another, faster computers encourage more bloaty operating systems, bloaty operating systems encourage faster computers. There are reasons why both MSFT and INTC are blue chip stocks and this is one of them.

Damn! I never should have sold my MSFT and INTC. Those stocks were keepers, like you buy a house and don't sell it until 20-30 years later, or more! I never bought into the buy and hold 'em theory of stocks, but these two may have been stocks I should have never sold.
  20. Andy

Ok, after running Win X for a few months, I have come to the conclusion, it's a piece of shit.:poo-23:

In fairness, I upgraded a Windows 7 install, rather than a fresh-from-the-disk install (which means I have NO Win 10 disk.. more on that later) and I am running it on a Parallels partition.

About a month ago, I noticed it would lag.... a LOT.... when I left-clicked or right-clicked any icons in the tray or desktop (with no resources being used anywhere else) then a couple of weeks ago, I completely lost the ability to left-click the start icon and get any of the neat do-dads you people have screenshot of above for the desktop. I can only right click the start menu to bring up a limited list of stuff, and some icons in my tray never work at all.

Today I went through a ton of attempted fixes found on the web for this apparently not-so-rare scenario, and the only 2 left Per M$ were....

1. Completely wipe and reload the OS.
    2. Create a whole new User account/profile and cross your fingers it doesn't happen again.

Scenario #1 above is impossible (see above, no physical disk to install from), if you were stupid enough like me to upgrade from another version, you have to reload THAT version, then upgrade again... hours of my life I may never get back after patches, etc, and that is *IF* it even fixes the issue that was caused by the upgrade in the first place.. (I may take a gander at the steps I see above to create a disk to see if that will work for a Win X upgrade version)

Doing scenario #2 above, got me a new profile that worked for about an hour until it broke in the very same manner, right back to square one. :runningidiot-39:

The only thing it is good for at this point is firing it up to play SWTOR (which runs flawlessly, unlike anything I can say fro Wildstar on this OS, I've pretty much shelved that game at this point due to not being able to move at all in town due to lag) and if I attempt to log in remotely to my work machine with our VPN software (which they can't seem to get to work with a Mac client yet) , Windows decides to randomly disconnect my VPN at the damndest time, like say when I'm on a VOIP call with a customer.

Only saving grace here is I still have a snapshot of my Win 7 VM in Parallels I can revert back to pre-upgrade, but I'm sure big-brother at M$ will lock out my key again if I change the hash/algorithm again this soon.

M$ is apparently aware of this issue, and steps 1 and 2 above are their only real solutions they offer. :banghead-72: